Hesiod's Top 10 coins of the year

Hesiod

Hi all, I'm pretty inactive on this forum, as I've always been a lurker at heart. I've had a great year buying coins and some friends convinced me to do a post for them elsewhere and I figured since I did the work of filming the coins to also post them here. 

I did my best to have this top 10 reflect my collecting interests as a whole, with different metals and both roman and greek coins represented.

10. Calabria, Tarentum. 302/280 BC. AR Didrachm (7.90g). Warrior, nude except for crested helmet, wearing shield on arm and holding spear on horse prancing left; Nike standing facing to left, restraining horse; [ΛYKIΣKOΣ below] / Phalanthos, nude, extending arm, wearing shield inscribed E and holding two spears, riding dolphin left; ZOP left, waves below. Vlasto 679-82; HN Italy 963.

I find this particular obverse die the loveliest of the Tarentum series, and this coin has a particularly fresh obverse. Considering the hammer prices on some other examples that sold recently, I decided to pick this up despite it not being one of my main targets at that auction.

9. Ionia, Ephesos. 405/4 BC. AR Tridrachm (11.05g, 21mm, 11h). Symmachy Coinage. The Herakliskos Drakonopnigon: the infant Heracles, nude, crouching right, strangling a serpent coiled around both arms;  Σ-Y-N around / Bee with straight wings, E-Φ across upper fields, Π-E across lower fields. Hecatomnus 3 (O1/R1); BMC 25 (these dies); SNG Kayhan 144; SNG von Aulock 7821 = SNG Lockett 2808 = Weber 5836 (these dies); Gulbekian 730 = Weber 5838.

Around 405 BC there was a symmachy (joint alliance of disparate members) of the major cities of coastal Asia Minor, all with an obverse figure of the Herakliskos Drakonopnigon and the letters ΣYN on the obverse. Byzantium, Knidos, Kyzikos, Ephesos, Iasos, Lampsakos, Rhodes, and Samos. On all of these symmachy issues, the reverse features the city badge of the issuer – a bull atop a dolphin for Byzantium, the head of Aphrodite for Knidos, the roaring lion head for Kyzikos, the bee for Ephesos, the head of apollo right at Iasos, gold pieces with the forepart of a pegasos Lampsakos, the rose for Rhodes, and the facing lion scalp for Samos. 

Karweise (Lysander as Herakliskos Drakonopnigon, NC 140, 1980, pp. 1-27) proposes interpreting the design on the obverse as the victory of Sparta over Athens in the Peloponnesian War, referring specifically to the Spartan admiral Lysander (who was of the Heraklidai and thus claimed direct descent from Herakles) who had 'strangled' the hegemonic power of Athens with his victory at Aigospotamoi. Due to the relation to this historical event, Karwiese dates the coin to shortly after the victory in 404 BC.
Delrieux (Les ententes monétaires au type et à la légende SYN au début du IVe siècle" in Mecanismes et innovations monetaires dans l'Anatolie Achemenide, Paris, 2000) attributes this coinage to when Spartan-Persian relations deteriorated after the victory at Aigospotamoi, when the Spartans began raiding the satrapies of Pharnabazos and Tissaphernes. The Athenian-Persian alliance formed a base of operation at Rhodes in 395 BC, and won a decisive victory at Knidos in 394, after which he proposes Ephesos and Samos joined the alliance after the Persians offered to hand over the Greek cities of Asia Minor to the Persians. The Athenians built up an alliance with many cities in Asia Minor, after which Sparta attacked the cities of the Hellespont and Propontis, which lead to more cities joining the Athenian alliance. After the Peace of Antalklidas in 387 BC establishing the Persian rule in Ionian Greek cities ended this issue of coinage.

8. Lucania, Herakleia. 390/340 BC. AR Didrachm (8.11g). Head of Athena in Attic helmet decorated with Skylla throwing a stone right / Heracles right, strangling the nemean lion; behind club; below owl. Rutter, Historia Numorum 1377; van Keuren 50; Work 44b (this coin).

Ex Dr. Busso Peus Nachfolger 380 (3 Nov. 2004), lot 91; Hess-Leu 31 (6 Dec. 1966) lot 44; H. De Nanteuil, Nr. 140; Jacob Hirsch XXXIII (17. November, 1913) lot 122; Jacob Hirsch XXX (11 May 1911) lot 144
I bought this coin because of the great provenance, as well as the clear Skylla depicted on the obverse. The reverse expression on the lion pops out nicely, as well. 

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

7. Cilicia, Tarsus. Maximinus I (AD 235-238). AE (23.61g, 36mm, 1h). ΑΥΤ•K•Γ•ΙΟΥ•ΟΥΗ ΜΑΞΙΜЄΙΝΟϹ, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Maximinus I right, seen from behind / Π-Π across fields, ΤΑΡϹΟΥ ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟ, Paris (on right) seated on rock left, wearing Phrygian cap, with apple in right hand, pedum in left; Athena (the farthest left figure) standing right, resting right had on grounded shield, grounded spear in left; Hera, veiled, enthroned right; Aphrodite, nude, standing facing head right, drawing drapery from shoulder; A M K B in fields. RPC VI, Online temp no. 7109. SNG France 1587 (same dies). Cornell 117 (this coin).

Ex David Simpson Collection (Triton V, 15 January 2002), lot 1755; Classical Numismatic Group XXIV (9 December 1992), lot 497.

This coin depicts the story of the Judgement of Paris. At the wedding of Peleus and Thetis, parents of Achilles, every god and goddess except for Eris, the goddess of discord were invited. In anger at her being snubbed of an invitation, she threw an golden into the wedding labelled 'to the fairest'. The goddesses Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera laid claim to the apple, asking Zeus to decide to whom it would belong. Zeus, wishing to avoid the anger of the two goddesses not chosen, had the goddesses ask Paris, a prince of Troy known for his fairness from when he decided Ares transformed into a bull was fairer than his own, to be the judge of the contest. The three goddesses bathed on Mount Ida and asked Paris to judge, and each goddess offered him a bribe –– Hera offered to make him king of Asia and Europe, Athena offered him unparalleled prowess in war, and Aphrodite offered the worlds most beautiful woman –– a married woman, Helen -- as his wife. Paris chose Aphrodite's gift, leading to animosity between the Greeks and the Trojans as well as with several gods, culminating in the Trojan war as relayed in Homer's Illiad.

6. Gortyna Stater
Crete, Gortyna. 350/322 BC. AR Stater (10.54g). Europa sitting in Plane tree right, lifting veil with left hand; in left field, Dolphin / Bull standing right, head turned back left; below dolphin; all in border of dots. Le Rider p. 79, 71. Svoronos 99 (Obverse) / 98 (Reverse).

I enjoy the artistry in this particular obverse die, with Europa sitting facing and lifting her veil at the user. I have a couple other Gortyna staters I picked up for the same reason. 

5. Roman Imperial Contorniate. Late 4th century AD. AE (25.73g). Laureate bust of Nero right; in field palm branch / Scylla swimming left on waves, clutching man on galley while two men stand behind; one brandishing spear and shield and other holding rudder and waving hands to ward her off; one figure diving in water; two figures struggling in waves. Alfoldi 179.

Ex Collection Sachero, (Montenapoleone 1988), lot 366; Collection Brand, (Sotheby's Zurich 1982).

I was the blown out of the water on the holed (and repaired) divus trajan example at the CNG feature auction, but was happy to be able to pick this up from retail about a month later for far cheaper than the CNG example. It has a nice provenance to go with it, as well. 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 3

4. Mysia, Kyzikos. Circa 400-330 BC. EL Hekte (2.68g, 11mm). Poseidon, nude other than cloak hanging over his left shoulder, kneeling right, holding dolphin in right hand, left hand holding trident downwards; below tunny to right / Quadripartite Incuse Square. SNG Paris -, Von Fritze 146.

This year hasn't been great overall for Kyzikene coinage for me, but this is one of my favorite types from the city. Unfortunately the dolphin is slightly off flan, but considering the overall condition of the coin I'm quite happy with it. This is part of a fairly large series depicting various mythological figures in kneeling positions.

3. Cilicia, Tarsos. Circa 440-420 BC. AR Stater (10.54g, 22mm, 7h). Bellerophon riding Pegasos left, preparing to hurl spear at Chimaera, lunging upward at him, below / Nergal standing left, holding ax in right hand, left hand raised with open palm facing upward; NRGL TRZ (in Aramaic = "Nergal of Tarsos") across upper field, grain ear to left, small tree to right; all in dotted square within incuse square. Casabonne Group A, Type A2; Müseler, Tarsos, Group 1, c;  Mildenberg, Nergal, pl. 28, 5.

I made a cointalk post about the Bellerophon type earlier this year! This is a lovely type from Tarsos (of which there are multiple), with a great Bellerophon on the obverse. The reverse depicts the Nergal of Tarsos, a Mesopotamian god whose cult survived through the Achaemenid domination. Under Tarsos, Heracles was commonly used as the Interpretatio graeca for this god. 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

2. Mysia, Kyzikos. Circa 550-500 BC. EL Hekte (2.72g, 12mm). Chimaera moving left, with a lion’s head and body, a goat’s head and neck emerging from the back looking right, and a serpent headed tail; below tunny to left / Quadripartite Incuse Square. SNG Paris 201, Von Fritze 97.

Another hekte from Kyzikos! Originally I was bummed to miss out on this rare die from Nomos in 2020, but was happy to see that the coin came up for sale again, with a lower hammer. I love the various monstrosities from Greek mythology, and this particular coin forms a nice set with another Chimera type from Kyzikos (with the goat and snake flipped) as well as the Cerberus.

1. Kamarina Didrachm
Sicily, Kamarina. 410/405 BC. AR Didrachm (8.50g, 21.6mm, 3h). Eponymic nymph of Kamarina, holding billowing veil in left hand, seated on back of swan swimming left; three fishes around / Horned head of river god Hipparis left, surrounded by three fishes. Westermark & 166.2 (this example cited); HGC 531. One of 3 known specimens. 

When I was writing up my top 10, this coin had only made it to me the previous day! I've always enjoyed this type from Kamarina, with the nymph being abducted by her swan. It's a lovely example of a local nymph being depicted on a Greek coin. This particular example is a late example with the nymph on the obverse, a reverse from the earlier type with the nymph on the reverse (with the facing head types chronologically in the middle).

Ex Schweizer Bankverein Winter 1980 FPL, Nr. 1

• Like 8
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Wow, great coins. Excellent videos too.

My favourite is the Herakleia stater, love that coin. Congratulations on a great year.

Forgot to add the Kyzikos hecte with the chimaera is also awesome. 

Would love either of those two in my collection!

Edited by Di Nomos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hesiod said:

2. Mysia, Kyzikos. Circa 550-500 BC. EL Hekte (2.72g, 12mm). Chimaera moving left, with a lion’s head and body, a goat’s head and neck emerging from the back looking right, and a serpent headed tail; below tunny to left / Quadripartite Incuse Square. SNG Paris 201, Von Fritze 97.

Another hekte from Kyzikos! Originally I was bummed to miss out on this rare die from Nomos in 2020, but was happy to see that the coin came up for sale again, with a lower hammer. I love the various monstrosities from Greek mythology, and this particular coin forms a nice set with another Chimera type from Kyzikos (with the goat and snake flipped) as well as the Cerberus.

1. Kamarina Didrachm
Sicily, Kamarina. 410/405 BC. AR Didrachm (8.50g, 21.6mm, 3h). Eponymic nymph of Kamarina, holding billowing veil in left hand, seated on back of swan swimming left; three fishes around / Horned head of river god Hipparis left, surrounded by three fishes. Westermark & 166.2 (this example cited); HGC 531. One of 3 known specimens. 

When I was writing up my top 10, this coin had only made it to me the previous day! I've always enjoyed this type from Kamarina, with the nymph being abducted by her swan. It's a lovely example of a local nymph being depicted on a Greek coin. This particular example is a late example with the nymph on the obverse, a reverse from the earlier type with the nymph on the reverse (with the facing head types chronologically in the middle).

Hesiod, Wonderful group of coins 😊! My favorites are #2, the stunning Kyzikos hekte with a Chimaera, & #8, the beautiful didrachm with Athena & Heracles 😍.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hesiod said:

1. Kamarina Didrachm

I really like your Lucania, fantastic piece!

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1