Spaniards TOP 10 ancients 2022

Spaniard

Mine has been a strange year as I've not really gone with any particular collecting focus...

Here they are.

Phrygia, Laodikeia. Gaius Caesar, grandson of Augustus. AE 15mm (3.53 gm). Struck circa 5 AD under the magistrate Antonius Polemon Philopatris.
Obv.: ΓΑΙΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ (GAIOS KAISAR), bare head right.
Rev.: Eagle with spread wings between two monograms ΠΟΛΕ (left),ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤ (right),("Polemon" and "Philopatris"). ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ (LAODIKEON) below. RPC I 2900; BMC 154. VF
Picked up this neat little provincial of a not so well known personage at the beginning of the year..Grandson of Augustus and future emperor but alas it was not to be..
His mother was "Julia the Elder" daughter of Augustus and his father was the great Roman General "Marcus Agrippa"..
Gaius and his younger brother Lucius were both adopted by Augustus as his sons and joint-heirs to the Empire.Tragically they would both die young, Lucius of an unknown illness in Massalia (20th August AD 2) whilst travelling to Hispania and only 18 months later, Gaius of a wound incurred whilst in a peace treaty with Rebel leader Abbadon in the city of Artagira Armenia on 9th September AD 2 but didn't die until 21st February AD 4...Interestingly Tacitus and Cassius Dio both claim that possibly Livia, their step grandmother, had a hand in their demise wanting her own son Tiberius to become the next heir, "Food for thought"!
20221126_gaius_caesar.jpg

Pontos, Neokaisareia. Septimius Severus. 193-211 AD. AE 29mm (14.60 gm). Dated CY 142 (205/6 AD).
Obv.: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: Cult image of uncertain deity on tall base within tetrastyle temple; pellet in pediment. RG 147 var. (rev. legend); SNG Hunterian 1154 (same obv. die); SNG von Aulock 100 (same obv. die). VF.
Suddenly started to become really drawn to the large provincial bronzes..This one caught my eye due to its lovely highlighted portrait and feels very nice in hand.
20221126_20220917_dQW5wt8SG6a39gDdL2cxbe4J6NYzEP_28129.jpg

Caracalla. 198-217 AD. AR Denarius (3.50 gm, 20mm). Rome mint. Struck 207 AD.
Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right.
Rev.: PONTIF TRP X COS II, Caracalla standing facing, head right, holding reversed spear (The symbolism of the inverted spear is interesting meaning that the bearer has come to negotiate, prevent a fight or seek peace. Or that peace has been achieved.)...and parazonium;(A triangular shaped dagger usually sheathed symbolising virtue, or rather of valor.)
*at feet to left, river god reclining on urn right; to right, two bound captives seated left.
*River gods Euphraat & Tigris seated far left and right with Armenia seated at the Emperor's feet (right).
*River gods Tyne & Eden seated far left and right with Britannia seatedcat the Emperors feet (right)
"Take your pick!".
RIC 96; RSC 441. Nice VF.
For some reason Caracalla became my biggest collecting area this year (quite unintentional) and this nicely detailed portrait with its interesting reverse portrayal was my first...
20221126_k79P6bJxq28YB7zztZ2WDTs5A38f4a.jpg

Spain, Obulco. Circa 150 BC. AE As (14.94 gm, 30mm).
Obv.: OBVLCO, female head right.CX behind.
Rev.: L.AIMI-M.JVNI AVD, between plow and grain ear. SNG BM 2, Spain 1410-2; Villaronga pg. 343, 16; Burgos 1395. VF.
Been looking for an affordable chunk of Spanish bronze for a while when this beauty came up and I bought it within a few minutes..The desert patina really helps the details zing out and again a nice heavy piece to hold in hand.
20221126_KLp598Ra2fyAmG6Pn7qYNi64zb9MB3.jpg

Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Philip I, 244-249 AD. AR Tetradrachm (10.97 gm, 27mm). Rome mint, for Antioch, 244 AD.
Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ CEB Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Rev.: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ EΞΟΥCΙΑC / S - C / MON VRB, eagle with spread wings standing facing, head to left and holding wreath in beak; to upper right, E (3rd officina).
McAlee 901e; Prieur 309; RPC VIII online 29027.
This is only my 2nd tet in my collection and find the portraits quite beautiful an area I will certainly look into more next year.
20221126_qA2X4Yb4Tn9ezPA8S6rg7Fk75dBGKK.jpg

Kashmir.
Ob...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, at left: su, at right: ssala
Rev..Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at altar at left, legend at right in Sharada script: deva
Date 1112-1120 CE
Weight 6.16 gm.
Diameter 18 mm.
Die axis 1 o'clock
Reference MNI 190 var
Comments Rare type, beautiful example with good parts of the full legend identifiable. Variant legend, without the title sri, not listed in Mitchiner. Ex-William Spengler.
Luckily added quite a few to my main collecting area this year, mostly upgrades or examples offset showing areas not normally seen....This was the rarist and an added bonus of being from the ex-William Spengler collection.
20221211_20220619_mm8F4MbtRi2DkHT6Gc5A3zyCKd7C9L-removebg-preview.jpg

Caracalla Æ 30mm of Amasia, Pontus. Dated CY 209 = AD 207. 30mm (13.87 gm)
Ob...AY KAI M AYP ANTΩNINOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right (seen from behind).
Rev.. AΔP CεY ANT AMACIAC [M]Hε ΩΠ ΠO, Caracalla and Geta standing vis-à-vis, clasping right hands; ET CΘ (date) in lower field. SNG von Aulock 35 var. (legends); Rec Gen 77 var. (star in reverse field). Roma Numismatics Limited, E-sale 78, lot 852 (same dies). Rare. VF.
Another big bronze provincial this time of Caracalla...The reverse really called to me showing the brothers clasping hands..Little did Geta know!...Again a great piece in hand.
20221210_caracalla-provincial.jpg

Severus Alexander. 222-235 AD. AR Denarius (3.12 gm, 20mm). Antioch mint. Struck 222 AD.
Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate and draped bust right.
Rev.: P M TR P COS P P, Fortuna standing left holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae; star in left field.
RIC #267. gVF.
Eastern mints was another area I collected in this year and found this portrait absolutely stunning and of course unusual..
20221126_severus_antioch.jpg

Septimius Severus. 193-211 AD. AR Denarius (3.26 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 193 AD.
Obv.: IMP CAEL SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head right.
Rev.: LEG XIIII GEM M V / TR P COS, legionary eagle between two standards. RIC 14; RSC 272; BMCRE 19. VF.
My most recent purchase an iconic type that I didn't think I'd be able to afford...I've been picking this one up a lot lately!
20221126_cJQ74yFJaD552f3HL8Tsfj6G9QnnZa.jpg

Pescennius Niger. AD 193-194. AR Denarius. Antioch mint.
Obverse..IMP CAES C PESC NIGER IVST AVG, Laureate head right.
Reverse...FORTVNAE REDVCI, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae. RIC IV 26d.
A really difficult emperor (claiment) to score especially on a tight budget!...Thanks to @finn235 I was able to pay for this one by layaway and is my most treasured denarius..
20221126_20201103_Pescennius-Niger-removebg-preview.jpg

20221211_top-10-2022.jpg

• Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 5

Congratulations for the excellent year! I would pick the Septimius Severus and Geta provincials (yes! big bronzes are always special!) and, of course, the Pescennius Niger. I do not have an emperor of this calibre but I just bought a modest Nero denarius and I understand your joy, even if Nero cannot be compared to Pescennius in terms of rarity.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
8 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

Congratulations for the excellent year! I would pick the Septimius Severus and Geta provincials (yes! big bronzes are always special!) and, of course, the Pescennius NIGER. I do not have an emperor of this calibre but I just bought a modest Nero denarius and I understand your joy, even if Nero cannot be compared to Pescennius in terms of rarity.

Just noting a necessary spelling correction; see the all caps part.

2 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Mine has been a strange year as I've not really gone with any particular collecting focus...

Here they are.

Phrygia, Laodikeia. Gaius Caesar, grandson of Augustus. AE 15mm (3.53 gm). Struck circa 5 AD under the magistrate Antonius Polemon Philopatris.
Obv.: ΓΑΙΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ (GAIOS KAISAR), bare head right.
Rev.: Eagle with spread wings between two monograms ΠΟΛΕ (left),ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤ (right),("Polemon" and "Philopatris"). ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ (LAODIKEON) below. RPC I 2900; BMC 154. VF
Picked up this neat little provincial of a not so well known personage at the beginning of the year..Grandson of Augustus and future emperor but alas it was not to be..
His mother was "Julia the Elder" daughter of Augustus and his father was the great Roman General "Marcus Agrippa"..
Gaius and his younger brother Lucius were both adopted by Augustus as his sons and joint-heirs to the Empire.Tragically they would both die young, Lucius of an unknown illness in Massalia (20th August AD 2) whilst travelling to Hispania and only 18 months later, Gaius of a wound incurred whilst in a peace treaty with Rebel leader Abbadon in the city of Artagira Armenia on 9th September AD 2 but didn't die until 21st February AD 4...Interestingly Tacitus and Cassius Dio both claim that possibly Livia, their step grandmother, had a hand in their demise wanting her own son Tiberius to become the next heir, "Food for thought"!
20221126_gaius_caesar.jpg

Pontos, Neokaisareia. Septimius Severus. 193-211 AD. AE 29mm (14.60 gm). Dated CY 142 (205/6 AD).
Obv.: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: Cult image of uncertain deity on tall base within tetrastyle temple; pellet in pediment. RG 147 var. (rev. legend); SNG Hunterian 1154 (same obv. die); SNG von Aulock 100 (same obv. die). VF.
Suddenly started to become really drawn to the large provincial bronzes..This one caught my eye due to its lovely highlighted portrait and feels very nice in hand.
20221126_20220917_dQW5wt8SG6a39gDdL2cxbe4J6NYzEP_28129.jpg

Caracalla. 198-217 AD. AR Denarius (3.50 gm, 20mm). Rome mint. Struck 207 AD.
Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right.
Rev.: PONTIF TRP X COS II, Caracalla standing facing, head right, holding reversed spear (The symbolism of the inverted spear is interesting meaning that the bearer has come to negotiate, prevent a fight or seek peace. Or that peace has been achieved.)...and parazonium;(A triangular shaped dagger usually sheathed symbolising virtue, or rather of valor.)
*at feet to left, river god reclining on urn right; to right, two bound captives seated left.
*River gods Euphraat & Tigris seated far left and right with Armenia seated at the Emperor's feet (right).
*River gods Tyne & Eden seated far left and right with Britannia seatedcat the Emperors feet (right)
"Take your pick!".
RIC 96; RSC 441. Nice VF.
For some reason Caracalla became my biggest collecting area this year (quite unintentional) and this nicely detailed portrait with its interesting reverse portrayal was my first...
20221126_k79P6bJxq28YB7zztZ2WDTs5A38f4a.jpg

Spain, Obulco. Circa 150 BC. AE As (14.94 gm, 30mm).
Obv.: OBVLCO, female head right.CX behind.
Rev.: L.AIMI-M.JVNI AVD, between plow and grain ear. SNG BM 2, Spain 1410-2; Villaronga pg. 343, 16; Burgos 1395. VF.
Been looking for an affordable chunk of Spanish bronze for a while when this beauty came up and I bought it within a few minutes..The desert patina really helps the details zing out and again a nice heavy piece to hold in hand.
20221126_KLp598Ra2fyAmG6Pn7qYNi64zb9MB3.jpg

Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Philip I, 244-249 AD. AR Tetradrachm (10.97 gm, 27mm). Rome mint, for Antioch, 244 AD.
Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ CEB Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Rev.: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ EΞΟΥCΙΑC / S - C / MON VRB, eagle with spread wings standing facing, head to left and holding wreath in beak; to upper right, E (3rd officina).
McAlee 901e; Prieur 309; RPC VIII online 29027.
This is only my 2nd tet in my collection and find the portraits quite beautiful an area I will certainly look into more next year.
20221126_qA2X4Yb4Tn9ezPA8S6rg7Fk75dBGKK.jpg

Kashmir.
Ob...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, at left: su, at right: ssala
Rev..Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at altar at left, legend at right in Sharada script: deva
Date 1112-1120 CE
Weight 6.16 gm.
Diameter 18 mm.
Die axis 1 o'clock
Reference MNI 190 var
Comments Rare type, beautiful example with good parts of the full legend identifiable. Variant legend, without the title sri, not listed in Mitchiner. Ex-William Spengler.
Luckily added quite a few to my main collecting area this year, mostly upgrades or examples offset showing areas not normally seen....This was the rarist and an added bonus of being from the ex-William Spengler collection.
20221211_20220619_mm8F4MbtRi2DkHT6Gc5A3zyCKd7C9L-removebg-preview.jpg

Caracalla Æ 30mm of Amasia, Pontus. Dated CY 209 = AD 207. 30mm (13.87 gm)
Ob...AY KAI M AYP ANTΩNINOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right (seen from behind).
Rev.. AΔP CεY ANT AMACIAC [M]Hε ΩΠ ΠO, Caracalla and Geta standing vis-à-vis, clasping right hands; ET CΘ (date) in lower field. SNG von Aulock 35 var. (legends); Rec Gen 77 var. (star in reverse field). Roma Numismatics Limited, E-sale 78, lot 852 (same dies). Rare. VF.
Another big bronze provincial this time of Caracalla...The reverse really called to me showing the brothers clasping hands..Little did Geta know!...Again a great piece in hand.
20221210_caracalla-provincial.jpg

Severus Alexander. 222-235 AD. AR Denarius (3.12 gm, 20mm). Antioch mint. Struck 222 AD.
Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate and draped bust right.
Rev.: P M TR P COS P P, Fortuna standing left holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae; star in left field.
RIC #267. gVF.
Eastern mints was another area I collected in this year and found this portrait absolutely stunning and of course unusual..
20221126_severus_antioch.jpg

Septimius Severus. 193-211 AD. AR Denarius (3.26 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 193 AD.
Obv.: IMP CAEL SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head right.
Rev.: LEG XIIII GEM M V / TR P COS, legionary eagle between two standards. RIC 14; RSC 272; BMCRE 19. VF.
My most recent purchase an iconic type that I didn't think I'd be able to afford...I've been picking this one up a lot lately!
20221126_cJQ74yFJaD552f3HL8Tsfj6G9QnnZa.jpg

Pescennius Niger. AD 193-194. AR Denarius. Antioch mint.
Obverse..IMP CAES C PESC NIGER IVST AVG, Laureate head right.
Reverse...FORTVNAE REDVCI, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae. RIC IV 26d.
A really difficult emperor (claiment) to score especially on a tight budget!...Thanks to @finn235 I was able to pay for this one by layaway and is my most treasured denarius..
20221126_20201103_Pescennius-Niger-removebg-preview.jpg

20221211_top-10-2022.jpg

Great year! Voted for #2

• Thanks 1