Elagabalus, Fortuna denarius

maridvnvm

I recently got distracted from my collecting focus and bought a handful of coins that just apeealed to me but had nothing really to do with my collection.

The following coin grabbed my attention and mainly the slightly unusual portrait. I originally thought the the eyebrow was some form of die break but having spent a bit of time researching I believe that it is pretty much as engraved apart from a bit of wear. I came to this conclusion after finding a double die match example.

My new coin:-

Elagabalus denarius

Obv:- IMP ANTONINVS AVG Laureate and draped bust right
Rev:- P M TR P II COS II P P Fortuna seated left on throne, holding rudder set on globe in her right hand and cornucopiae with her left; below throne, wheel.
Minted in Rome. A.D. 219
Reference:- RSC 149. RIC 19. BMCRE 96.

Weight 3.173g. 18.94mm. 180 degrees

RI_071ak_img.JPG

Here is the bouble die match example for comparison. I suspect that these were struck fairld close in time to each other as you can the die preparation scratches to the right of the chin.

image00594.jpg.61b94955d1590ceaa703561522464db1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2

Thanks @Prieure de Sion. I am quite pleased with it. I bought two Fortuna coins together The Elagabalus is the nicer of the two but I did buy a Geta as Augustus to go with it at the same time. 

The Geta gas frosted field surfaces and slate grey devices.I am wondering if this is due to ground conditions or to a more modern cleaning process but it makes it quite tricky to get a pleasing image of the coin. The frosting on the obverse almost makes the portrait have a glowinf effect. I do have seem to have a soft spot for these Geta denarrii as Augustus.

Obv:- P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate bust right
Rev:- FORT RED TR P III COS II P P, Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopiae, wheel under throne
Minted in Rome. A.D. 209 - 211
Reference:– BMC 421. Hill 1263. RIC 76. RSC 59. 5 examples in RD.

Weight 2.515g. 19.06mm. 180 degrees

RI_068av_img.JPG

• Like 7

Nice additions Martin. Its never bad to wonder off the collecting path. You can find interesting things! 

Don't have a Elagabalus with such a big eyebrow, interesting touch from the die engraver. The only thing I can add, is my only coin of Geta as augustus below. The thing I like about these portraits of an older version of him, is that you can recognize his younger potrait in it. 

31.2.png.8f5c503b9fb72f4c5f4f8a79e5e5dcf7.png

• Like 7