Roma Numismatics LTD: Quick question

CPK

• Benefactor

I "watch" the lots I'm interested in for most auctions, including Roma's, through Numisbids. Even though I almost always place my bids (including pre-bids) directly at the auction sites rather than via Numisbids. Watching lots that way, and having only one watch list for all auctions, seems a lot easier for me than having multiple watch lists.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

My suspicion is Roma finds this to their advantage. It seems that many just put a minimum bid on a coin to track it (I'm guilty sometimes of the same). The problem is they then become 'attached' to the coin.

I've done that, but since other people do the same, you have to start quite high if you're not first. I stopped doing it because when it came to the auction I had to temper my early bids in case I won one of those tracker bids later. Which means now I miss many lots I might've been interested in because I can't be bothered to write them all down. It might be why I've spent at 2-5 times as much with CNG, Spink, Noonans and even Heritage (😱) as Roma.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, John Conduitt said:

I've done that, but since other people do the same, you have to start quite high if you're not first. I stopped doing it because when it came to the auction I had to temper my early bids in case I won one of those tracker bids later. Which means now I miss many lots I might've been interested in because I can't be bothered to write them all down. It might be why I've spent at 2-5 times as much with CNG, Spink, Noonans and even Heritage (😱) as Roma.

The last time I did this was in their previous auction. I bid on > 40 coins and it was such a mess keeping track of them that I finally just put minimum bids. That auction was a bloodbath and there were some bids that just didn't make sense. I did win 20 coins, but I thought I'd pick up more because all of my bids were aggressive.

Normally, I bid on far fewer coins with them and just track the interesting ones in a OneNote, then bid nearly last minute.

I've never won a coin on Heritage. They're always bid above what I feel they're worth. I do bid with CNG and have some of my nicest wins from them this year, but it's rare that a coin is ignored. It's kind of weird between them in my experience. With Roma, a really nice catch can sometimes go unnoticed, but other coins are bid up beyond the sense of reason. Bidding at CNG seems to be less frenetic, but everything gets noticed.

• Like 1