Hadrian's Villa

Ancient Coin Hunter

• Benefactor

Last night I watched an interesting episode of Unearthed (New documentary airing on 12/4/22) on the Science Channel.

"Hadrian's Villa is the largest Roman palace ever constructed and demonstrates the opulent peak of Rome's ancient engineering; experts investigate secrets that could reveal the truth behind one of Rome's most enigmatic emperors." 

The show spent some time on the subject of Roman Egypt and Hadrian's interest in syncretic religions of the era, and also covered his relationship with Antinous who famously drowned in the Nile offshore of Hermopolis Magna (modern town of El-Ashmunein).  I'll share a couple of coins of Hadrian below. Please share any coins you'd like of Roman Egypt or his travel series, or any other Hadrians.... Thanks!!!

Show: Unearthed
Air date: December 4, 2022, re-airing on December 11th!
Directors: Martin Gorst, Tom Ranson

The first coin is a drachm depicting Hadrian's arrival in Alexandria with the elephant-headressed personification of Alexandria kissing his right hand in obeisance. The second coin is more common, a drachm featuring Hadrian and the reclining god Nilos on the reverse. Both coins are around 36mm and 23 grams....

hadrian_alexandria1.jpg

hadrian_alexandria2.jpg

hadrian3.jpg

hadrian4.jpg

• Like 19

I just read the Wikipedia article. An interesting palace. 

Here is a tetradrachm from Alexandria:

normal_Hadrian_12.jpg.9846d9444f09a02541a92125e63ea20a.jpg

Hadrian
Egypt, Alexandria
Billon Tetradrachm
Obv.: ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙ - ΤΡΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ СƐΒ, laureate draped and cuirassed bust of Hadrian, r., seen from rear
Rev.: Sarapis seated, l., holding sceptre; to l., Cerberus, LI - Ϛ (year 16=131/132)
Ref.: Dattari 1478

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Last night I watched an interesting episode of Unearthed (New documentary airing on 12/4/22) on the Science Channel.

"Hadrian's Villa is the largest Roman palace ever constructed and demonstrates the opulent peak of Rome's ancient engineering; experts investigate secrets that could reveal the truth behind one of Rome's most enigmatic emperors." 

I've been enjoying some of Mary Beard's YouTube videos recently, and this one has some interesting coverage of Hadrian's "Villa" (bit of a misnomer given the size!).

All of Beard's videos are worth watching !

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

I visited Hadrian's Villa when I was in Rome in spring of 2001, here are a couple of photos I took then:

image.jpeg.5638cd103b1da322aee0b39000ae8194.jpeg

image.jpeg.acc018ba40214ca8e37f18286d56a83d.jpeg

image.jpeg.68122eec305b3a237812205fbb2d2ae9.jpeg

And a denarius of Hadrian, from early in his reign.  His portrait style looks closer to Trajan, he seems to be competing with Trajan for how many letters he can squeeze into the legend, and the reverse legend starts out proclaiming him "Son of Parthicus" (i.e., of Trajan).  Hadrian wanted to make sure that everybody knew that Trajan had duly appointed Hadrian his successor, there were no death-bed shenanigans involved, no sir.

image.jpeg.0a9d88efc030a2b7201b57397ce0340f.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

I should add that the Science channel has some real archaeology documentaries compared to the History channel and National Geographic channel, some of which are brand new. Beats American Pickers or whatever. I view the History channel, which used to be OK 20 years ago as a joke.

• Yes 1

Hadrian, Roman Empire
AE drachm
Obv: [AVT KAIC TΡAIAN AΔΡIANOC CEB], laureate head right, slight drapery on left shoulder
Rev: Isis Pharia sailing right, holding sistrum, the Pharos Lighthouse to right with three figures on its summit. L-I-[H] across fields
Mint: Alexandria
Date: 133-134 AD
Ref: Milne 1414; RPC 5895; Dattari 1767
(coin information from Wildwinds)

VKhadrian.jpg

• Like 9

On 12/5/2022 at 8:22 PM, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

The show spent some time on the subject of Roman Egypt and Hadrian's interest in syncretic religions of the era, and also covered his relationship with Antinous who famously drowned in the Nile offshore of Hermopolis Magna (modern town of El-Ashmunein).  I'll share a couple of coins of Hadrian below. Please share any coins you'd like of Roman Egypt or his travel series, or any other Hadrians.... Thanks!!!

Show: Unearthed
Air date: December 4, 2022, re-airing on December 11th!
Directors: Martin Gorst, Tom Ranson

The first coin is a drachm depicting Hadrian's arrival in Alexandria with the elephant-headressed personification of Alexandria kissing his right hand in obeisance. The second coin is more common, a drachm featuring Hadrian and the reclining god Nilos on the reverse. Both coins are around 36mm and 23 grams....

hadrian_alexandria1.jpg

hadrian_alexandria2.jpg

hadrian3.jpg

hadrian4.jpg

• Like 6