Seleucid Empire: The Game of Thrones of the Greek World

Leo

The marvelous coinage made by the Seleucid Empire sparked my curiosity in this massive state, the biggest of Alexander's successor kingdoms. And once I started delving into its history, oh man, thats a lot of palace intrigue, backstabbing and civil wars! These guys put third-century Rome to shame.

I partnered up with The Medicus Collection, who so kindly filmed me 4 lovely Tetradrachmae for this very nice episode.

Enjoy the Eye-Candy, and of course, post any Seleucid coins you have :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

2 hours ago, Leo said:

The marvelous coinage made by the Seleucid Empire sparked my curiosity in this massive state, the biggest of Alexander's successor kingdoms. And once I started delving into its history, oh man, thats a lot of palace intrigue, backstabbing and civil wars! These guys put third-century Rome to shame.

I partnered up with The Medicus Collection, who so kindly filmed me 4 lovely Tetradrachmae for this very nice episode.

Enjoy the Eye-Candy, and of course, post any Seleucid coins you have 🙂

Jeez. I have absolutely no words. I now crown the seleucids for minting the best hellenistic coinage!

I have a total of 1 seleucid coin. A slightly broken one but very nice to say the least.

20221019_101037_auto_x2.jpg.c7b3e1c724988f81edf46524491ef76e.jpg20221019_101140_auto_x2.jpg.c626fcd05ecf895456a4c6498aeeb569.jpg

SELEUKID KINGS OF SYRIA. Antiochos I Soter (Joint reign with Seleukos I, 294-281 BC). Obol. Uncertain mint.
Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin.
Rev: ΣΑ.
Nike standing right, holding wreath.
Very rare. otherwise unpublished. Good VF, toned.
0.8cm and around 0.5g 

Apparently, after buying this coin on ebay for 50$, I find out that it's much rarer than I and the seller thought. 10 examples on acsearch and most sell for 400-900$. I'm not sure what this one is worth but I've seen worse examples sell for a similar amount.

• Like 7

Any silver Tryphon is impressive especially that one.

g266.jpg.a10c15dcb40d5c7fe31914288dbed3a1.jpg

Antiochus X
Antiochon the Orontes
94 BC
AR Tetradrachm
Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochus right with short sideburn.
Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOV EVΣEBOYΣ ·I·IΛOΠATOPOΣ, Zeus Nikephoros seated left, holding lotus-tipped scepter; Σ monogram and A to outer left, Π below throne; all within wreath.
26x27mm, 14.91g
Ref: cf. SC 2428a; cf. HGC 9, 1287(R1)
Note: Unpublished with neither lack of nor long sideburn, but a "short" sideburn.

g355.jpg.d836e14069513da404c421dead7de9a8.jpg

Antiochus IX
Mint: Samaria
AR Obol
114 to 95 BC
Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochus right, dotted border.
Revs: BAΣI on right, AN ΦI on left, Athena standing left, holding Nike in right hand and resting left on shield set on ground; spear resting in crook of left arm.
8mm, 0.53g
Ref: SC 2394; HGC 9, 1245(R2)

g344.jpg.3a307afa7e7b72a4851a458b90934ed4.jpg

Antiochus Son of Seleucus IV
Mint: Tarsus
AR Drachm
October/November 175 BC
Obvs: Diademed head of the child Antiochus right, dotted border.
Revs: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ on right ANTIOXOY on left, Apollo seated left on omphalos testing arrow and resting hand on grounded bow with grip marked by 3 pellets. ΣA outer left above, club outer left below. ΠA monogram outer right.
17mm, 4.12g
Ref: SC 1367; HGC 9, 611(R3)

• Like 6

Perhaps the last guy in the Seleukid series that is readily available 

Philip Philadelphos Ar Tetradrachm Antioch 88/87-76/75 BC Obv Head right diademed  Rv Zeus Nikephoros seated left holding Nike. SC 2463/i HGC 1319 15.82 grms 26 mm Photo by W. HansenSKphilipphil4.jpg.6eec67f351d0d031ea6116e8752f10d6.jpg

Though technically not the last king his coinage is probably the last to be minted in any number. So much so that it would appear that his coins were struck posthumously and later the type became the standard issue of the Roman Province of Syria. 

• Like 4