Finally, a siliqua

hotwheelsearl

I've wanted a siliqua for a few years, but they've always been much too expensive for me. While approximately the size of a standard denarius, they often costed up to 10 times as much as a regular ole denarius.

With much patience, I managed to capture this one for the same price as a denarius, which I think was a great steal. Of course, the coin has problems - massive flan crack, irregular surface, but it's relatively un-worn and overall a pretty neat piece.

siliqua.JPG.643f53957107a4256cfb8d96c276dc26.JPG

• Like 20

Nice! Coinage from the 4th century really is underappreciated by many collectors. For me the time really does represent a shift in the administration of the Roman world; gone are the days of the princeps, the Emperor is now your Lord. In addition, we can see the Roman state trying to adjust to the pressures from the frontiers by essentially becoming a militarized dictatorship. We can see this transformation reflected on the coinage as well: the Fel Temp Reparatio series with a Roman officer spearing a barbarian horsemen, or the Virtus Excerciti series which extolls the Roman army. 

Anyway, nice coin and I hope you continue to purchase coins from the 4th century!

Edited by Magnus Maximus
  • Like 3

I have been outbid on Siliquae more than any other type of coin. The reverse designs are never compelling enough for me to approach the prices demanded.

Did you buy that coin on UK eBay? I remember being quite close to the winning bid on a similar one, but my concern about the flan crack accidentally resulting in a complete break during transit deterred me.

You can pay £400 and still have cracks and chips. They're delicate coins, unlike the sturdy denarius.

This one was found in a hoard. Many of the coins were damaged, probably run over by ploughs a few times over the centuries.

Arcadius Siliqua, 392-395
image.png.aa5781f561a110f6f968aaa219172989.pngTreveri. Silver, 17mm, 1.34g. Pearl-diademed draped and cuirassed bust right; DN ARCADI-VS PF AVG. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and inverted spear; VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; mintmark TRPS (RIC IX, 106b (sceptre)). From the Thruxton (Hampshire) Hoard 2014. Portable Antiquities Scheme: GLO-9D7F36.

A very large number of siliquae are found in Britain. There, they faced more dangers - the Saxons (or late Romano-British) clipped them.

Flavius Victor Clipped Siliqua, 387-388
image.png.db0ac574ca6bb4ffa48a533bd70c2a52.png
Milan. Silver, 10mm, 0.68g (cut down from 16-17mm, 1.25-1.8g). Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N FL VIC-(TOR P F AVG). Roma seated left, holding globe in right hand, reversed spear in left, (VIRTVS RO-M)ANORVM; mintmark MDPS (RIC IX, 19b). From the South Ferriby (Lincolnshire) Hoard 1909. Portable Antiquities Scheme IARCH-1C7D3F.

The reverses are rather limited and the portraits unrealistic, but that gives them a unique look that's appealing to me, much like I prefer Van Gogh to Rembrandt.

• Like 8

Even though they are often said to all look alike, siliquae are interesting. Nice catch !

2375a1db34514f59b455f129d2893f41.jpg

Valentinian I, Siliqua - Constantinople mint, 4th officina
DN VALENTINI - ANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VOT V in a laurel wreath, CP.delta at exergue
1.57 gr
Ref : RC # 4097v, RIC IX # 13a, Cohen # 69

Q

• Like 5