FEL TEMP REPARATIO - Hut - Rome

maridvnvm

I have just received a new FEL TEMP REPARATIO Hut coin from Rome and it has prompted me to share my small collection of these that I have gathered thus far and plaging the new coin in the context of the output of these issues. I have several example of different types but do not intend to illustrate anything other than the Hut coins wihtin this thread. I do refer out to Bill Welch's study on these coins. Bill (also known as Moonmoth) gathered a spectacular collection of the Hut types and I am proud to own a few of his coins in my collection.

In A.D. 348-350 the Rome mint started producing the FEL TEMP REPARATIO types for Constans and Constantius II. RIC VIII catalaogs the various types by type and sub-divided by mintmark, which indicate the different issues.

The first series do not have a letter behind the busts and are about 22-24mm in diameter with RIC VIII Rome 107 - 135 are dediacted to the Galley type, RIC 135A and 136 are Fallen horseman types, RIC 137 - 140 are Hut types which are 20-22 mm diameter. RIC 141-145 are the smaller, 17-19 mm Phoenix on Globe/Mound types RIC 146 and 147 are the same size but fallen horseman types.

The Second Series have A or N behind the busts.

RIC 148-152 have A behind the bust and are Galley types.

RIC 153-155 are the Emperor Galloping right spearing two barbarian types

RIC 156-161 are Hut types.

The Hut types are documented as having Bust Types G3L and G5L. G3L is Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust left holding globe and G5L is Laureate, rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe. I do have some of these to illustrate and an odd one too that doesn't quite fit....

The First Hut issue..... 6 officinae - Officina marks P, B, T, Q, E and S

RIC 137 and 138 have Rx (x=officina) in exe and are all rated R4 many of which are noted as requiring confirmation in RIC and may be misreadings of the following issue. The reverse legends occur with and without punctuation dots.

RIC 139 and 140 have R*x in exe

RIC 139 is Constantius II with G3L bust type. They are all rated R by RIC and are listed for officinae P, T, Q, E and S. Bill Welch only illustrates a R*P example.

This first coin, whilst not entirely unexpected, shows that the coins were also produced for officina B. The coin is double struck with a peculiar lateral double strike where the left and right sides of the coin are intact but there are echoes of the double strike down the centre of the coin resulting in double ears and hair on the neck on the bust and a double R at the start of REPARATIO and a doubled star in the exe on the reverse.

RI_170fr_img.jpg

This second coin is officina S and is on a particularly large flan.

RI_170fj_img.jpg

RIC 140 is Constans with G3L bust type. They are all rated C by RIC and are listed for all officinae. Bill Welch only illustrates examples from officinae P, T, Q, E and S.

My example is quite scrappy looking due to the patchy green patina and comes from Officina S.

RI_169af_img.jpg

The next coin is a bit of an enigma. I comes from the same issue as the above coins but appears to have a G2L, Laureate, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust left holding globe. There is only one other coin that I can find of the type from any mint cited with this bust and that is an R3 coin from Arles. Bill Welch notes the existence of this Arles coin but notes that he has never seen examples. The coin comes from officina E.

RI_169ce_img.JPG

The Second Hut issue..... N behind bust, N in field on reverse, 6 officinae - Officina marks P, B, T, Q, E and S

RIC 156 is Constantius II with G3L bust type. They are all rated R by RIC and are listed for officinae P, B, T, E and S. Bill Welch only illustrates examples from officinae P and S.

This coin is the Officina P coin ex-Bill Welch collection

RI_170x_img~0.jpg

RIC 156 is Constantius II with G5L bust type. They are all rated C by RIC and are listed for officinae B, T, Q, E and S. Bill Welch illustrates an example from officina S.

This coin has officina T

RI_170bz_img.jpg

RIC 158 is Constans with G3L bust type. They are all rated R by RIC and are listed for officinae P, T, E and S. Bill Welch only illustrates examples from officinae T and S

The following coin is my new coin and my excuse for this thread and comes from officina E.  I could benefit from some light cleaning.

RI_169ch_img.JPG

RIC 159 is Constans with G5L bust type. They are all rated C by RIC and are listed for all officinae. Bill Welch illustrates an examples from officinae T and S.

My examples below come from officinae T and E.

RI_169bk_img.jpg

RI_169ag_img.jpg

Does anyone else have any Rome mint Hut coins in particlaur of just Hut coins in general???? I have loads of other huts but have limited myself to the Rome ones for this thread. I might be inspired to illustrate more depending on what else is posted.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Alexandria! - A small Alexandrian avalanche.....

Constantius II - AE2

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Laureate and rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe
Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Soldier advancing right, head left, holding spear and leading small figure from hut beneath tree
Minted in Alexandria (//ALEA).
Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 59

RI_170fz_img.jpg

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
Minted in Alexandria, officina 3; (/ALEG), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 60; LRBC 2820

RI_169f_img.jpg

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Laureate and rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
Minted in Alexandria, officina A; (/ALEA), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 61

RI_169x_img.jpg

Constantius II - AE2

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe
Rev:– FEL . TEMP . REPARATIO, Soldier advancing right, head left, holding spear and leading small figure from hut beneath tree
Minted in Alexandria (* //ALED).
Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 66 var (RIC 66 rated S, Not listed for this officina in RIC)

RI_170bs_img.jpg

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
Minted in Alexandria, officina 3; (*/ALEG), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 67

RI_169l_img.jpg

I then have this peculiarity which has the emperor fully draped and it looks like he isn't holding a spear but something else, perhaps a parazonium.

RI_169ap_img.jpg

• Like 8

An hutterly great series (pun intended)

My only hut is from the Rome mint

547145170aee4dd09adadd62551d4efe.jpg

Constans, AE2 -Rome mint, 1st officina
D N CONSTA NS P F AVG, draped and diademed bust left, holding globe in right hand
FEL.TEMP.REPARATIO, Virtus walking right dragging captive out of his hut. R*P at exergue
4.2 gr
Ref : Cohen # 19, LRBC # 604

Q

• Like 9

These two have been passed around NVMIS FORVMS like a doobie at a Phish concert!

This one was formerly owned by @dougsmit and purchased from @JAZ Numismatics.

[IMG]
Constans, AD 337-350.
Roman billon light maiorina, 3.88 g, 19.6 mm, 5 h.
Antioch, sixth officina, AD 348-350.
Obv: D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, left, holding globe in right hand.
Rev: FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, soldier advancing right, looking back, leading barbarian (child?) out of a hut beneath a tree and holding a spear in the left hand; * in upper left field, ANS in exergue.
Refs: RIC 128; RCV 18700; Cohen 19; LRBC II 2617.

This one is also ex- @JAZ Numismatics:

Constans FEL TEMP REPARATIO hut Cyzicus.jpg
Constans, AD 337-350.
Roman billon light maiorina, 4.54 g, 20.3 mm, 6 h.
Cyzicus, fourth officina, AD 348-350.
Obv: D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, left, holding globe in right hand.
Rev: FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, soldier advancing right, looking back, leading barbarian (child?) out of a hut beneath a tree and holding a spear in the left hand; SMKΔ in exergue.
Refs: RIC 77; RCV 18699; Cohen 19; LRBC I 2479.

• Like 8