Antoninus Pius 138-161 AD AE23 Antioch, Syria. SC

thenickelguy

Antoninus Pius 138-161 AD AE23 Antioch, Syria. SC
Antioch ad Orontem (Antioch-on-the-Orontes)

Obverse ΑVΤ(Ο) ΚΑΙ(Ϲ) ΤΙ(Τ) ΑΙ(Λ) ΑΔΡ(Ι(Α)) ΑΝΤⲰΝ(Ɛ)ΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ(Α) ƐVϹ(Ɛ(Β(ΗϹ))) laureate head right

But I cannot read the legend.

AntoninusPius138to161ADAE23AntiochSyriaOBV.jpg.467281341c07f869b629a7b4db9b69c4.jpg

Reverse Large SC within wreath, Γ below. 

AntoninusPius138to161ADAE23AntiochSyriaREV.jpg.1718b90c0bcdc63bc69cbd83b3ff977f.jpg

Antoninus Pius was Roman emperor from 138 to 161. 
He was the fourth of the Five Good Emperors from the Nerva–Antonine dynasty. 
Antoninus was an effective administrator, leaving his successors a large surplus in the treasury, expanding free access to drinking water throughout the Empire, encouraging legal conformity, and facilitating the enfranchisement of freed slaves.
He built temples, theaters, and mausoleums, promoted the arts and sciences, and bestowed honours and financial rewards upon the teachers of rhetoric and philosophy.

His reign is notable for the peaceful state of the Empire, with no major revolts or military incursions during this time. A successful military campaign in southern Scotland early in his reign resulted in the construction of the Antonine Wall.
There are no records of any military related acts in his time in which he participated.

Antoninus Pius was married to Annia Galeria Faustina the Elder.

AntoninusPius138to161ADAE23AntiochSyriaART.jpg.063cbdfc9dedf1cc1dd247d6e5522721.jpg

Coins like this one in such condition does not bother me in the least. I still find them interesting and neat to hold in hand. Somebody has to appreciate them and why not me. They make for a colorful collection.

As usual, I get my info, condense and rearrange a bit, and images used from wiki or other public sources.

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 16

Antioch coins are highly collectable for me because I think the engravers were skilled and the portraits were as accurate as Rome coins. This can't be said for many provincial mints. Yes, the reverse with S C in wreath is dull and very repetitive, but I think the obverses + the fact that they are affordable make them excellent additions.

There is nothing wrong with adding coins in the condition yours is, as long as they are attributable (in my opinion). Given the size and the laureate head, I think  it is https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/6999

Here is my Pius from Antioch with Θ on the reverse under S C  (same catalogue reference)

image.png.7c5f8d762090daf974f940297a335c1e.png

My favorite from Antioch is is a Claudius

image.png.892ec9b4b604fdb70c84c8ba7273fa62.png

Antioch is a good idea when you need emperors who are difficult to obtain in imperial coinage, such as Otho.

image.png.f73ed068c75117199929e4b1acb22fc9.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Spaniard said:

The reason why you can't read the legend is there isn't one..

I need to fix that and I meant that line to refer to the obverse. I know there isn't any legend on the reverse. Thanks!

As for the 

Obverse inscription ΑVΤ(Ο) ΚΑΙ(Ϲ) ΤΙ(Τ) ΑΙ(Λ) ΑΔΡ(Ι(Α)) ΑΝΤⲰΝ(Ɛ)ΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ(Α) ƐVϹ(Ɛ(Β(ΗϹ)))

I don't know how to read that but I guess that is more accurate than what I had posted in the first post. So it is changed now too. Thank you ambr0zie!

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Only one Antoninus Pus Antioch "SC" in my collection - this one is quite small, but not as cruddy as others of this type I have:

1733561612_AntoninusPius-AntiochSClotDec2019(0aa).jpg.fa01b52926c364716de46e22b1eafbe7.jpg

Antoninus Pius  Æ 18 (138-161 A.D.) Syria, Seleucis & Pieria Antiochia ad Orontem  ΑVΤ Κ[ΑΙ...] ΑΝΤ[WΝƐ...],  laureate head right / S•C within wreath, Γ above, eagle standing facing wings spread below. RPC III, 7007; McAlee 11; BMC 323, 326 and 331. (3.37 grams / 18 mm) eBay Dec. 2019 Lot $3.00

Attribution Notes:  Obv.:  Legend mostly gone; RPC online has it thusly: ΑVΤ ΚΑΙ ((Τ(Ι)) Α(Ι(Λ)) Α(ΔΡ(Ι)) ΑΝΤWΝƐΙΝΟϹ  Ϲ(ƐΒ(Α)) ƐV Rev.:  eagle is missing most details (legs and right wing are barely visible).   

• Like 10