Another coin from my wish list added

ambr0zie

Just checked my latest acquisitions and realized I didn't pay enough attention to one of my recent ones. Because other coins were a little more important and this coin has it flaws - but nevertheless I was happy to add it and study. Because it is the type of situation I encountered a lot in the last months - a coin type I wanted, but in the end I didn't buy because it was too expensive or not good enough for my tastes.

This one did the trick

image.png.a8a613382dae55f4dd3a80c122ac17f6.png

Bronze Æ. 22 mm, 4,78 g

Oiniadai, Akarnania, ca 219-211 BC. Laureate head of Zeus right, Λ below, eagle behind head / OINIAΔAN, Head of the river-god Acheloös right, trident above. BCD Akarnania 349; BMC 12; SNG Copenhagen 403.

When seeing the coin before the auction, I was a little afraid it has bronze disease (the green stuff was more prominent in the house's pictures) and wasn't too happy about the delamination on the reverse either. In hand the coin is very decent and the man faced bull portrait is exactly what I wanted, especially since my 2 other MFB coins did not show any facial features because of the wear.

As a coincidence, when seeing this coin available in an auction, I was reading a mythology book I have been trying to get since I was a kid and I was exactly at the Heracles chapter when he fought Achelous.

Information about this character can be checked here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achelous

Please show your MFB coins, river gods, newly acquired coins with mythological characters.

• Like 21

Campania, Neapolis. AR Nomos (18mm, 7.17g, 1h). Circa 300-275 BC. Obv: Head of nymph right; behind, Artemis running right. Rev: [ΝΕΟ]ΠΟΛΙΩΝ; Man-headed bull walking right; above, Nike flying right, placing wreath on bull's head. Ref: HN Italy 579; HGC 1, 451.

image.jpeg.7397be0a6ad54c5a7e806b298875038c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

10 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Just checked my latest acquisitions and realized I didn't pay enough attention to one of my recent ones. Because other coins were a little more important and this coin has it flaws - but nevertheless I was happy to add it and study. Because it is the type of situation I encountered a lot in the last months - a coin type I wanted, but in the end I didn't buy because it was too expensive or not good enough for my tastes.

This one did the trick

Bronze Æ. 22 mm, 4,78 g

Oiniadai, Akarnania, ca 219-211 BC. Laureate head of Zeus right, Λ below, eagle behind head / OINIAΔAN, Head of the river-god Acheloös right, trident above. BCD Akarnania 349; BMC 12; SNG Copenhagen 403.

When seeing the coin before the auction, I was a little afraid it has bronze disease (the green stuff was more prominent in the house's pictures) and wasn't too happy about the delamination on the reverse either. In hand the coin is very decent and the man faced bull portrait is exactly what I wanted, especially since my 2 other MFB coins did not show any facial features because of the wear.

As a coincidence, when seeing this coin available in an auction, I was reading a mythology book I have been trying to get since I was a kid and I was exactly at the Heracles chapter when he fought Achelous.

Information about this character can be checked here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achelous

Please show your MFB coins, river gods, newly acquired coins with mythological characters.

Nice acquisition, @ambr0zie. Yours have a good portrait of Achelous. Here is a similar one I picked up last year. 

zz01 RR bull man-cutout-cutout.jpg

Akarnania, The Oiniadai, c. 219-211 BC.
Æ (23mm, 6.64g, 7h).
Obv: Laureate head of Zeus r.
Rev: Head of Achelous r.; monogram behind.
HGC 4, 899.

Edited by happy_collector
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

13 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

This one did the trick

Bronze Æ. 22 mm, 4,78 g

Hallo ambrOzie,

Are there 1 or 2 faces on the obverse? I think i see 2 .