Requests, Recommendations and Advice

Steppenfool

Hello all. I have been thinking about creating this thread for a while, but some recent threads have made me realise that it would be useful.

The purpose of this thread is threefold. It is to request users keep an eye out for coins that you desire, to recommend  listings that you personally don't want to buy, but that you feel others might wish to take advantage of, and to ask for advice via private message.

Here are some basic ground rules

FOR REQUESTS

Start your post with the word REQUEST. Explain which coin/type/ruler you are looking for in as much or as little detail as possible and state your budget also. If another user happens to come across the type while perusing auctions/shops, they can inform the requester via private message  of their findings. The the privacy is essential, we do not want someone to "steal" the coin, nor do we want to impact the requester by drawing attention to their auction target. 

FOR RECOMMENDATIONS

Start your post with the word RECOMMENDATION. Simply post a picture and link to the coin sale and explain why you think it would be a good buy. Auction listings are not allowed to be recommended. This is mainly because drawing widespread attention to auctions before they are completed may impact other forum users. Furthermore, it is counter-intuitive to recommend a coin whose price is not defined. Please do not use this feature to advertise your own sales.

FOR ADVICE

Start your post with the word ADVICE. Explain in as much detail as you like what your issue is, and users will be able to private message you offering their help. The idea here is that you may not wish to ask for advice on some matters publicly. We possibly saw why in a recent thread, where the coin the user asked for advice about a coin but it was snapped up before the advice was received. Whether the two events were related is unknown, but it is illustrative regardless.

If anyone has any objections to the above rules, or the thread in general, then feel free to express them. There may be some reason why this is inappropriate that I have not considered. 

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 7

I like the ADVICE idea.

However, it seems to me, that the REQUEST and RECOMMENDATION would impact other forum users, similar to someone talking about auction listings, but to a lesser extent. 

For example, if someone is saving his/her money to buy a coin on a non-auction web site, but doesn't have enough money to buy the coin immediately. A REQUEST or RECOMMENDATION could draw attention to the coin, and someone else may buy the coin, before the person has enough money to buy it.

However, I don't have any moral or ethical objection to the REQUEST or RECOMMENDATION ideas. I also don't have any moral or ethical objection to someone talking about auction listings. I just try not to do it.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

My two quadrans:

If anyone wants to prefix their posts with this, that's fine, but don't expect others to do it. The whole idea of a forum is organic discussions over various topics.

These aren't REST requests (for those in software engineering). They're things that people happened to think of and post.

Over the last few thousand years or so, people have developed a pretty decent protocol for discussing random things in a group. I see no reason to alter it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sand said:

I like the ADVICE idea.

However, it seems to me, that the REQUEST and RECOMMENDATION would impact other forum users, similar to someone talking about auction listings, but to a lesser extent. 

For example, if someone is saving his/her money to buy a coin on a non-auction web site, but doesn't have enough money to buy the coin immediately. A REQUEST or RECOMMENDATION could draw attention to the coin, and someone else may buy the coin, before the person has enough money to buy it.

However, I don't have any moral or ethical objection to the REQUEST or RECOMMENDATION ideas. I also don't have any moral or ethical objection to someone talking about auction listings. I just try not to do it.

I did think about this, but I feel waiting to save up for a coin comes with risk naturally and that most sellers allow reservations which can alleviate this problem!

7 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

My two quadrans:

If anyone wants to prefix their posts with this, that's fine, but don't expect others to do it. The whole idea of a forum is organic discussions over various topics.

These aren't REST requests (for those in software engineering). They're things that people happened to think of and post.

Over the last few thousand years or so, people have developed a pretty decent protocol for discussing random things in a group. I see no reason to alter it.

That is fair. Not as if it could be enforced anyhow. It was mainly in the interest of tidiness and so that someone quickly scrolling through who for example is only interested in offering advice can quickly discern which posts to read.

I am in favor, of implementing the ADVICE idea, as a separate sub-forum. Similar to the "ID Help" sub-forum. The new sub-forum could be called "Should I Buy This Coin?". That way, if someone doesn't want to see such things, the person can un-check (not select) that sub-forum.

Edited by sand

eBay used to have an "Items Wanted" section, for humans to find things requested.  They no longer have it.  eBay supposedly took it down because they were being cut out of the transactions, but I never got replies for my requests except spam.  eBay still has automated searches.

Forum has a "Personal Want Lists" section, https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=13.0 .  It does not get much traffic.

VCoins has a "Want List" feature.  I use this a lot!  My only complaint is that I can't make it run more frequently than once a day.  Often I get an email that something I want has been listed, but it sold 20 hours ago.  Several dealers and auction sites have similar features.

Edited by Ed Snible
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

RECOMMENDATION

Affordable Nerva Denarius in decent condition with a historical reverse that perhaps reflects the messy post-Domitian accession of Nerva that required the balancing of various power blocs. One of the "agreements of the armies" included the adoption of Trajan.

image.png.409d0888a0f2d9040f657fdf2b90cbbc.png

https://www.ma-shops.co.uk/schepers/item.php?id=6811

€49

• Like 6