A hoard appearing in Savoca?

NewStyleKing

Just when I said i hadn't  seen a Newstyle hoard for ages I think an example has surfaced in Savoca!

With one outlier  the NewStyles are a close..ish bunch with the coins ranging from c 130 BC to c 118  BC with a few gaps. The outlier is from the 140's  but hey!  My guess that they originate in Bulgaria  and popped across the borders into Germany  for a short visit.  Nothing special in them  except that the 4 "over-represented" NewStyles of de Callatay  are NOT represented  the nearest  being Nike  which can be seen as a honorary "over-represented" type 

The auction house dating are, as usual, a bit of a wing and a prayer!

Lot 113 image

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 6

• Benefactor

That's an interesting assortment on Savoca. Yes, multiple lot offerings of new style owls are definitely the exception.  Lots and lots of standardized classical owls out there.

I stick with Roma and to a lesser extent CNG mostly due to a desire not to spread myself and budget too thin on the auction side.  I know that I'm limiting my options with this approach, but I only have so many lines to cast.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robinjojo said:

I stick with Roma and to a lesser extent CNG mostly due to a desire not to spread myself and budget too thin on the auction side.  I know that I'm limiting my options with this approach, but I only have so many lines to cast.

Savoca doesn't really offer the sort of price advantage it used to anyway, so you're not missing out that much... except possibly on Greek bronzes.

Yes auction not V coins.  I'm just  highlighting  coins not suggesting. That's what I do.  For the numismatists amongst us hoards are very important. It's not the physical coins per se  but what we can learn from them.  Nothing in this case but I speculated where they came from...seems likely!

Edited by NewStyleKing

• Benefactor

These are in their latest Silver auction.

Savoca is one of my favorite sellers. I've purchased both at auction and from their VCoins store. Their shipping is extremely quick. The only thing is, as was already pointed out, things can get bid out of proportion.

• Like 1