Is this what I think it is?

airhead1983

Hi everyone,

I was given a coin for my birthday from some fellow volunteers at the food bank I’m at.  They know nothing about coins, but, gave me this coin from one of their late parent’s collections.

From what I can tell from my initial research is that is a Liberty Half Eagle Gold $5 coin from 1899.

9F0892BC-CF71-44E8-919E-DD5F93C8A2BB.jpeg.6deb1ea2230ac4ed654419f27e6de1b6.jpegD9DAC458-8B57-4D05-A121-A3C52F39B840.jpeg.30d68186f0ec0be6b624335b210b7ee0.jpeg

I’m going to bring it back to them next week.  While I really appreciate their gesture, they didn’t know that they were giving me a gold coin and it’s not fair for me to keep it.

It’ll be nice to enjoy it for the week, though. Lol

Erin

• Like 10
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

15 minutes ago, airhead1983 said:

Hi everyone,

I was given a coin for my birthday from some fellow volunteers at the food bank I’m at.  They know nothing about coins, but, gave me this coin from one of their late parent’s collections.

From what I can tell from my initial research is that is a Liberty Half Eagle Gold $5 coin from 1899.

9F0892BC-CF71-44E8-919E-DD5F93C8A2BB.jpeg.6deb1ea2230ac4ed654419f27e6de1b6.jpegD9DAC458-8B57-4D05-A121-A3C52F39B840.jpeg.30d68186f0ec0be6b624335b210b7ee0.jpeg

I’m going to bring it back to them next week.  While I really appreciate their gesture, they didn’t know that they were giving me a gold coin and it’s not fair for me to keep it.

It’ll be nice to enjoy it for the week, though. Lol

Erin

Erin, as the old saying goes, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" 🤔. Be thankful that you are so well thought of & return the kindness some day ☺️.

A long time ago I had a 1899 $5 gold coin put in a hand crafted ring mounting & wear it often 😉. 513514670_IMG_0831.4808oz.puregold.JPG.d4b6ddd31185361796d12a298fcc9417.JPG

Edited by Al Kowsky
added photos
  • Like 6
  • Cookie 1

Thanks everyone!

I think I’ll make them aware of what they gave me.  They knew nothing other than that it is a coin and I collect them.  If it was a penny or quarter or something much less valuable, I wouldn’t bother.  But, I think it’s the right thing to do.  

I’ll go with whatever decision they make about it, whether they want to swap it for another one or not.

I’m still wide eyed about it.  Lol. I get to tell people I ‘own’ a gold coin for a week.  Gold has no business being near my collection anyways. 🤪

Erin

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, airhead1983 said:

I think I’ll make them aware of what they gave me.  They knew nothing other than that it is a coin and I collect them.

I'm pretty sure even the most unaware in the world will know gold when they see it. Those kind and generous people wanted to gift you in recognition of the nice and good person you are, no more, no less

🙂 Q

• Like 2

18 hours ago, airhead1983 said:

Thanks everyone!

I think I’ll make them aware of what they gave me.  They knew nothing other than that it is a coin and I collect them.  If it was a penny or quarter or something much less valuable, I wouldn’t bother.  But, I think it’s the right thing to do.  

I’ll go with whatever decision they make about it, whether they want to swap it for another one or not.

I’m still wide eyed about it.  Lol. I get to tell people I ‘own’ a gold coin for a week.  Gold has no business being near my collection anyways. 🤪

Erin

Wow, Erin, either the fact that you work in a food bank, or that you immediately decided to return the coin, would make you rate on the Coolometer.  (I only go to food banks.)  Hats Freaking Off! :<}  But your plan to let them know what it is, and leave it to them, is only better.  As several folks here are implying, that says only more about your appreciation of their motives.  ...Along with you, it would be fun to meet these people!

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2
  • Yes 1