Superior Galleries, E-Auction I and E-Auction II - possibly wait to pay first.

Prieure de Sion

Who has bought something at the biddr auction E-Auction I and E-Auction II of Superior Galleries - and has not yet paid, should EVENTUALLY wait with it. Of course, it could be, I'm wrong - but that's ok - then I've rather pushed once too much paranoia - otherwise maybe here is one or two who may benefit from it.

I bought coins from auction I (I paid) and from yesterday's auction II. 
The auction I was 14 days ago. The auction II on yesterday Sunday. 

The coins of auction I (14 days ago) were paid via Stripe credit card link at biddr - so the auction house already had the money Sunday or Monday 14 days ago. Two of my acquaintances also paid via Stripe link coins from auction I.

The problem is - the coins have not been shipped until today.

That in itself would not be a problem! I sometimes wait 6 weeks for my coins at the Spanish auction houses - at Francis Jacquier some here (including me) have also waited a bit longer - but (!) that was or is clearly communicated. Why I am starting to get very nervous in this case.

1. since I paid by credit card and the status was also quickly on "paid" - I asked a few days after the auction, when you can expect about shipping. The feedback: the shipment is now immediately. But after this did not happen - I asked again politely. The next answer was - that they now have everything ready and will ship the coins to the weekend / before the weekend in any case (27/28.10.). Since this again did not happen - I asked again - this time they said the "shipping manager" was not in the house (Fridays) - the shipment would be on Monday 31.10. (so far nothing happened). I wonder - if you know that the shipping manager is not in the house on Friday - why you schedule the shipping Thu/Fri - and if he was in the house before Thu - why you have not shipped then?

2. from my acquaintances I know that they have not received their coins either or that the status is still only on "paid" for both. 

Last week I informed biddr about my fears. Now it can be - that one is quite far back in the list and on one day it is not sent to all winners at the same time. However, I was not reassured to learn that not a single transaction was processed - i.e. not a single coin left their house during the 2 weeks - not a single transaction was processed.

Again. Two weeks is often nothing with some auction houses. But here several things come together. New auction house. No website. Not a single shipment started after two weeks - and most importantly, I keep hearing new shipping dates - which are then not met. Sorry - yes there I get nervous easily.

Therefore I would - if someone has participated and has not yet paid - perhaps wait a little longer. If something new arises I will write that here with pleasure purely and then one can make yes good conscience and calmed the payment.

Can be I make me the Horst, Vollhonk, monkey and lie completely wrong - I hope it.
But would also be stupid somehow, if I would not publicly announce - I think.

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1

9 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Ah OK...Nothing to do with Spain then as I was about to say fiestas here at the moment..

No - I know the problem with the Spanish Auctions houses - that's no problem for me wait 6 weeks for shipping. The Spain houses (or other) are serious houses after a long, long time. there are old houses with a lot tradition. 

But - this auction house is new.
That's their first two auction.
There in USA - there a no shipping problems to send outside the USA. 

And the second make me nervous. If you say to me - hey - shipping will take a while 2,3 or so weeks. Ok. I know that.

But yes - I get nervous if someone say to me - shipping - yes now immediately!
Sir and now? Oh sorry - but now before weekend! trust us!
Sir and now? Oh sorry - our shipping manager was not in the office - now on 
Monday - trust us!

And this - in combination with - no seller - not only one! - changed the status from paid to shipped - yes I get nervous 😉 

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Severus Alexander said:

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be following this thread!  I won 3 coins in their Auction II, one of which I'm quite excited about. So 🤞...

The last Status was - I get on Friday a email - that the shipping was today Monday. But today past - again. Same at my friends - no shipping today again. 

I will wait until tomorrow evening and will write my next email to the company. I will update here what happens. 

But yes. It’s better you wait with payment. I got 2 coins at auction II - but I wait for the checkout / payment too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sympathize. 

I have full respect for houses that manage to ship extremely quickly. And when the courier is also fast, well, perfect experience. 

I have a friend who runs an auction house. He has 1 employee responsible for shipping. So after the auction (normal auction, minimum 700 lots) he and his employee immediately start packing and perform shipping in maximum 2 days. 

I once had an argument with a house. I find it illogical to pay (slightly) expensive shipping and perform the payment quickly if they take a week or two (or more like in your case). Usually for me it's simple - if I see this happening, that is my last experience with that house. I don't care about the rarity or quality of coins, my comfort is more important. 

• Like 2

Even if I repeat myself - I have absolute no problems with long shipping time. Especially from Spain - takes a long time.

If the house / dealer say - it takes time - then it takes time. At a last Auction from a German auction house I get a mail after finished - sorry customer we need a long time to handle all. So I know that - all will be fine.

But don’t say the customer - yes this week shipping starts. Ok next week before weekend 100% we shipped. What? Oh no sorry it’s not possible because our shipping manager is out of office - but we will guarantee you at  coming Monday it’s sure that shipping starts… and now it’s Monday (gone) and nothing happens.

Update.

But nothing is false - I got a mail last 5min. they ask me I can pay my coins from auction II and so they want shipped my coins from auction I and II in one parcel. I write back - no thanks - please first the coins from auction I … see what will happens. 

• Benefactor

I wonder if their New York office is a real office or just some kind of mail drop. The guy in Illinois is Artur Czyzewski
 from (Glenview, IL) - (847) 470-1037: 208 Michael Manor, Glenview, IL 60025. 

Does Biddr check new auction companies out before allowing them to use Biddr as a platform?

9 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Does Biddr check new auction companies out before allowing them to use Biddr as a platform?

We definitely do. If the company is not a well-known and established auction house, we ask not only for commercial register excerpts and proof of identity, but also for trade references and check whether the person(s) has/have been active in coin trading before and has/have the necessary experience. Of course, there is always a certain residual risk with new companies.

Edited by SimonW
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Even if I repeat myself - I have absolute no problems with long shipping time. Especially from Spain - takes a long time.

If the house / dealer say - it takes time - then it takes time. At a last Auction from a German auction house I get a mail after finished - sorry customer we need a long time to handle all. So I know that - all will be fine.

But don’t say the customer - yes this week shipping starts. Ok next week before weekend 100% we shipped. What? Oh no sorry it’s not possible because our shipping manager is out of office - but we will guarantee you at  coming Monday it’s sure that shipping starts… and now it’s Monday (gone) and nothing happens.

Update.

But nothing is false - I got a mail last 5min. they ask me I can pay my coins from auction II and so they want shipped my coins from auction I and II in one parcel. I write back - no thanks - please first the coins from auction I … see what will happens. 

If I had to guess, I’d say they realised too late that a lot of people will bid in both auctions and so it’s more efficient to pack and ship once. Even some of the big auction houses do this with multiple auctions over a short space of time (or if they don’t, I wish they would). They have fewer shipments, the customer pays once for one shipment, everybody wins. But they already promised to ship straight away, and perhaps didn’t even tell all their staff this would be the process.

@Severus Alexander a update for you too. I write them a email in this minutes - after today nothing changes. Biddr has the copy.

If there is any movement or status update with shipping - I will link you here.

Hello...

Ok - but seriously - together for a word. 

1. after the auction I and after I paid all the bills with the credit card, you said that the money is there and the goods are now shipped. 

2. ok, that doesn't always work immediately. I know that myself. When I asked a second time, you said that the coins would definitely be sent out before the weekend (before 27/28 October). For sure.

3. after that I got a third (!) email that the shipping manager was not there on Friday and therefore the coins will definitely be sent on Monday (30.10.)! 

4. now I get a fourth (!) email asking me if I want my coins from auction I and II to be sent together - to which I wrote back that I would like to have the coins from auction I first.

Tomorrow is already Wednesday 02.11. and I still don't see any movement in my three orders from auction I. 
I don't want to be rude. But I would be very happy if the shipment of the auction I coins would start now.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Severus Alexander

I got no feedback of my yesterday email - but an update from the biddr notification system. The shipment was startet - but - no pickup. So if you want with paying - wait until the FedEx parcel is on the way to me. Interesting - Auction was marked in New York (US) on biddr - but the coins come from Dubai storage. See FedEx Tracking ID - shipment pick up in Dubai.

https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/?trknbr=770273496714&trkqual=2459874000~770273496714~FX 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

@Severus Alexander

I got no feedback of my yesterday email - but an update from the biddr notification system. The shipment was startet - but - no pickup. So if you want with paying - wait until the FedEx parcel is on the way to me. Interesting - Auction was marked in New York (US) on biddr - but the coins come from Dubai storage. See FedEx Tracking ID - shipment pick up in Dubai.

https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/?trknbr=770273496714&trkqual=2459874000~770273496714~FX 

Looks like good news now... I see the package was received by FedEx and is in transit.  Thanks for keeping me updated, @Prieure de Sion!

• Like 1

For a new company they had some pretty nice coins to sell. I watch listed several Alexander III type tetradrachms.
At first I wondered if they were a reincarnation of the old Superior Galleries who ceased operations about 10 years ago..  but I searched the net and found no mention of that....

Superior Galleries, established 1930, was once a respected house out of California.  I have a catalog of theirs from the 1990's.  As I recall they were known for big name Jewish collections.  Ask Valentinian if he knows anything about the company or sale of the name.  He only lists a few but they were big deal sales with catalogs worth keeping.  

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/catalogs/  scroll down the alphabetical list. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

RNumis lists 30 auctions by Superior Galleries between 1970 and 2005: https://www.rnumis.com/house_auctions.php?house=SUP&db_minyr=1844&db_maxyr=2022&dbcountry=All Countries.

The Newman Numismatic Portal has a much larger list, going up to 2009. Most appear to be available online. See https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctioncompanydetail/511782

Superior
Approximately 180 sales between 1970 and 2009.

Data source: content provided by auction company.

Past Auction Results
227 entries found
Displaying records 1 — 50
Select a year
1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

Quite a few of them seem to be sales of "celebrity" collections -- Hoagy Carmichael, Buddy Ebsen, and the like. They were located in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills.  

Edited by DonnaML

5 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

I don't know if they're related, but one thing I did note is that Damaris (https://www.biddr.com/auctions/damarisauction/contact) seems to share an office with Superior's Dubai office. I don't understand how to parse the addresses that well, but google seems to think it's the from the same market in Dubai

Uh-oh... that's something of a red flag. How have others fared with Damaris? In my case they never sent my coins, and their email address went defunct. Recently biddr helped me contact someone with the company and they have promised a refund "this week." Nothing yet. (tagging @SimonW so he's aware of this wrinkle of a common address. Are some of the same people involved?)

I seriously doubt that this new Superior has anything whatsoever to do with the Superior Galleries of 1970-2005. I admit to thinking there was some connection when I signed up with them, though.

40 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

I don't know if they're related, but one thing I did note is that Damaris (https://www.biddr.com/auctions/damarisauction/contact) seems to share an office with Superior's Dubai office. I don't understand how to parse the addresses that well, but google seems to think it's the from the same market in Dubai

And their phone number is in the UAE. The company set up in September. 447 Broadway (their main address) is in shared offices. But where are the coins?

Edited by John Conduitt

@Severus Alexander  and all fellow readers,

FedEx just rang and delivered the coins safely. A first check is good - all coins are as described. I will now also pay for the second auction. 

I think - these were probably their first two auctions and there is still a lack of uniform operating procedures and communication. I will also pass this on as feedback from the company. As I said - I have no problem waiting - but when delivery dates are announced and postponed again and again, you just get nervous with new companies.

But as written - as conciliatory feedback. The coins are as pictured - beautiful coins - it has to be said. As far as the goods are concerned, I am satisfied.

• Like 3