Jump to content

New Video! Hadrian Travel Series


Leo
 Share

Recommended Posts

New video up! Today I bring you the very interesting travel series, struck under emperor Hadrian to celebrate his tours around the empire. Have you got any travel series coin or any hadrian pieces? Lets see them.

Hope you enjoy the episode 🙂
 

 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

Very nice! My own Hadrian Travel Series coins (all of them denarii) -- many of them the same types as yours -- are posted at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/754-a-new-hadrian-travel-series-denarius/ . Except for two that I bought recently (one from Gorny & Mosch and one from CNG) that haven't arrived yet (specifically, Germania and Restitvtori Hispaniae), which I'll wait to post.

 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 4
  • Popcorn 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with @DonnaML - nice video! I learned a lot about the timeline for the issue as well as the iconography for each design. My most recent acquisition is an "Alexandria" denarius... I find that these seem to be the most elusive of the Province / City personifications, and it has taken me several years to find one in decent condition at a reasonable price. My example has an old Seaby provenance. The Restitutori Africae denarius is my next collecting goal (I haven't seen many of those come up in decent condition either), but I have the two other related issues with Hispania and Gallia.

 

image.png.8cfd8922c5285cdf007ae442e1098802.png

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
13 minutes ago, Romismatist said:

Agree with @DonnaML - nice video! I learned a lot about the timeline for the issue as well as the iconography for each design. My most recent acquisition is an "Alexandria" denarius... I find that these seem to be the most elusive of the Province / City personifications, and it has taken me several years to find one in decent condition at a reasonable price. My example has an old Seaby provenance. The Restitutori Africae denarius is my next collecting goal (I haven't seen many of those come up in decent condition either), but I have the two other related issues with Hispania and Gallia.

 

image.png.8cfd8922c5285cdf007ae442e1098802.png

Great specimen! My Travel Series Alexandria, oddly enough, also has an old Seaby provenance, dating back to 1990, and even came with an old Seaby envelope. Not quite the same type as yours, since mine has Hadrian draped while yours is bareheaded:image.jpeg.7abc6ca79dd86c976395e35ebe7efd54.jpeg

There were several Restitvtori Africaes in this week's CNG auction (including both major reverse types, with Hadrian standing to the right and left), but I already had one, purchased at a Noonans auction earlier this year:

image.png.cb4b7877d6721ec2adebc1c97ee0487d.png

 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DonnaML said:

Great specimen! My Travel Series Alexandria, oddly enough, also has an old Seaby provenance dating back to 1990, and even came with an old Seaby envelope. Not quite the same type as yours, since mine has Hadrian draped while yours is bareheaded:image.jpeg.7abc6ca79dd86c976395e35ebe7efd54.jpeg

There were several Restitvtori Africaes in this week's CNG auction (including both major reverse types, with Hadrian standing to the right and left), but I already had one, purchased at a Noonans auction earlier this year:

image.png.cb4b7877d6721ec2adebc1c97ee0487d.png

 

Yep, I got the other Alexandria example from the recent Dix Noonan auction. I guess I missed the recent CNG Restitutori Africae bids... will keep a look out for future specimens! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
4 minutes ago, Romismatist said:

Yep, I got the other Alexandria example from the recent Dix Noonan auction. I guess I missed the recent CNG Restitutori Africae bids... will keep a look out for future specimens! 

Interesting. My Travel Series Alexandria came from the Dix Noonan Webb (now Noonans) Auction 253, 13 March 2022, Lot 1408. Kind of an odd coincidence that they would sell two different examples with old Seaby provenances in the same year; it makes me wonder if perhaps they came from the same collector.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

I now realize that I posted my new Hadrian travel series denarius yesterday in the wrong thread -- I had intended to add it to my own thread for my coins from that series. Since I don't know how to move a post from one thread to another (if that's even possible), I have instead deleted it from this thread, and re-posted it at:

https://www.numisforums.com/topic/754-a-new-hadrian-travel-series-denarius/?do=findComment&comment=26447

My apologies to all for any confusion.

 

 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...