My Trip to Europe

kapphnwn

Tomorrow I head to Europe for about two weeks. I plan to be in two cities while I am there Paris and Vienna. If there are any from this forum that live in or around those cities, I wouldn't mind visiting with and talking to others who share similar interest to my own.  I know it is short notice but these things happen. So if anyone is nearby.... contact me and maybe we can get together. 

Edited by kapphnwn
  • Like 7

Okay I am now in Paris. I am currently staying at a hotel near the Gar d;Est  Went to the BNF and bought a book. I got the new volume of the RPC which just came out. It is big and heavy. I think Numismatic books are in something like the cretaceous era. Saw some nice coins and took some pics (will come later).  To top everything off I went to CGB and picked up the two current books on Roman sestertii written by Lacourt. So far Cannot say much about either. Plates are very nice and in color.  The books are not terribly expensive for what they are. Did see this guy

Kingdom of Baktia Av 20 Stater of Eukratedes Not my pictuer found it in Wikipedia weighs over 340 grms874628477_20-stater-coin-of-Eucratides-I-165145-BCE.-Gold-169.20-g-58-mm.-BnF-MMA-E-3605_reverse.jpeg.fee3b9c3f97c32a9422509eae842dbfd.jpeg

More later

Edited by kapphnwn
  • Like 10

On 10/18/2022 at 4:20 AM, kapphnwn said:

omorrow I head to Europe for about two weeks. I plan to be in two cities while I am there Paris and Vienna. If there are any from this forum that live in or around those cities, I wouldn't mind visiting with and talking to others who share similar interest to my own.  I know it is short notice but these things happen. So if anyone is nearby.... contact me and maybe we can get together. 

Enjoy the trip! Paris and Vienna are lovely. Do eat some Sachtertorte in Vienna, and visit the Spanish school with the lipizzaners 🙂

Just finished visiting the Kunsthistorishes Museum in Vienna today and for us coin collectors this museum is well worth a visit. Naturally it is on the fifth floor (You must be fit to collect coins in Austria.) however there is a great deal of material on display. There is a vast display of medals commemorating various historic events pertaining to the Hapsburgs (Naturally) plus extensive numbers of ancient and medieval coins. Not in this wing but elsewhere in the museum there are a number of late Roman gold multiples that had been converted into jewelry. Many of these were at least four solidi pieces. Besides the coins there was a huge collection of art, plus many Greek and Roman artifacts. In all one of the better museums I have visited. As for their numismatic display..... One of the best. Pics to follow

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kapphnwn said:

Just finished visiting the Kunsthistorishes Museum in Vienna today and for us coin collectors this museum is well worth a visit. Naturally it is on the fifth floor (You must be fit to collect coins in Austria.) however there is a great deal of material on display. There is a vast display of medals commemorating various historic events pertaining to the Hapsburgs (Naturally) plus extensive numbers of ancient and medieval coins. Not in this wing but elsewhere in the museum there are a number of late Roman gold multiples that had been converted into jewelry. Many of these were at least four solidi pieces. Besides the coins there was a huge collection of art, plus many Greek and Roman artifacts. In all one of the better museums I have visited. As for their numismatic display..... One of the best. Pics to follow

Glad you are enjoying your trip to Austria!

Yes, the KHM is great, like you said, there is much more to see than coins. Well worth a visit for everyone interested in history.

I don't know how many days you have left, but I have a few recommendations for you:

• If you are interested in art, I would recommend visiting the Schloss Belvedere Museum. They have a permanent expedition on Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, etc... Also, if the weather is nice, Schloss Belveder has a beautiful garden.
  • If you like churches, I recommend visiting the Stephansdom and the Votivkirche.
  • If you like hiking, there is a great path going around and on the "Kahlenberg", start of the trail is reachable by public transport. On top, you have a great view of vienna.
  • Should you get bored of vienna, you can always take the train(Westbahn) to Salzburg (one way takes 2:30 hours).

The 26th October, is austrias state holiday. There will be a parade by our military on the Heldenplatz.
Just be careful stores, museums, etc... will be closed on the 26th.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1