Adding hippocamp and panthers to my “biga team”

happy_collector

One of my collection focus is on bigas driven with unusual creatures. I have slowly picked up snakes, stags, goats, lions, and centaurs. A hippocamp biga is on the very top of my lookout list. Recently, I am very pleased to add a decent example directly from vcoins. No need to wait for auctions. This one has serratus along the border, which is a nice feature to me. It probably will end up as one of my top 10 pickups this year. 

I have also added two panther biga coins earlier this year. The first one is a bit flat, but I like the large size of the biga coin. The second one is from Greek Sicily. 

Please post any biga coin you find interesting.  

HippoCamp.jpg

QUINTUS CREPERIUS M. F. (Marcus Filius) ROCUS. Rome, 72 BC.
Serratus denarius. 18.5mm, 3.7g.
Obv: Draped bust of Amphitrite, wife of Neptune and goddess of the Ocean. Octopus behind her head.
Rev: Neptune, holding reins and brandishing trident, driving sea-chariot right, drawn by two hippocamps; Q CREPER M F ROCVS in exergue.
Craw. 399/1b; Syd. 796a. 
Incitatus Coins. Sept 2022

z02015q00.jpg

Sebaste in PHRYGIA.
Severus Alexander 222-235 AD Tetrassarion (Bronze, 30 mm, 10.41 g, 1 h). 
ΑΥ Κ Μ ΑΥ CЄΒ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡΟC Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander right.
Rev: CЄΒΑCΤΗΝΩΝ Dionysos driving biga of panthers to right, holding a long thyrsos in in his right hand and reins in his left. 
BMC 38. RPC VI online 5672. 
Leu Numismatik, July 2022

U23-17Panther Biga Sicily.jpg

Katane, Sicily. Æ20. 212 BC
Obv: KATANAI-Ω-N, wreathed head of Dionysos right
Rev: Dionysos seated in biga pulled by panthers
20.09mm, 7.51 grams
SNG Copenhagen 200
Marc Breitsprecher, April 2022. 
Ex Ray Johnson Collection, purchased from Irv Carroll in 1965, with his ticket

Edited by happy_collector
  • Like 17
  • Cookie 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Very cool!

Here's Artemis in a stag biga.

[IMG]
Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
Roman provincial Æ 28.5 mm, 11.90 g, 5 h.
Ionia, Ephesus, AD 222-235.
Obv: IOVΛIA MAMAIA CЄB, draped bust, right, wearing stephane.
Rev: EΦЄCIΩN ΠΡΩTΩN ACIAC, Artemis driving biga of stags right, holding bow and drawing arrow from quiver.
Refs: RPC VI, 4975 (temporary); Karwiese 804; SNG von Aulock --; SNG Copenhagen --.
Notes: Ex-Plankenhorn Collection of Ionian Coins, ex-Naumann Auction 91, lot 927, 7 May, 2020.

• Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 1

21 hours ago, happy_collector said:

One of my collection focus is on bigas driven with unusual creatures. I have slowly picked up snakes, stags, goats, lions, and centaurs. A hippocamp biga is on the very top of my lookout list. Recently, I am very pleased to add a decent example directly from vcoins. No need to wait for auctions. This one has serratus along the border, which is a nice feature to me. It probably will end up as one of my top 10 pickups this year. 

I have also added two panther biga coins earlier this year. The first one is a bit flat, but I like the large size of the biga coin. The second one is from Greek Sicily. 

Please post any biga coin you find interesting.  

HippoCamp.jpg

QUINTUS CREPERIUS M. F. (Marcus Filius) ROCUS. Rome, 72 BC.
Serratus denarius. 18.5mm, 3.7g.
Obv: Draped bust of Amphitrite, wife of Neptune and goddess of the Ocean. Octopus behind her head.
Rev: Neptune, holding reins and brandishing trident, driving sea-chariot right, drawn by two hippocamps; Q CREPER M F ROCVS in exergue.
Craw. 399/1b; Syd. 796a. 
Incitatus Coins. Sept 2022

z02015q00.jpg

Sebaste in PHRYGIA.
Severus Alexander 222-235 AD Tetrassarion (Bronze, 30 mm, 10.41 g, 1 h). 
ΑΥ Κ Μ ΑΥ CЄΒ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡΟC Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander right.
Rev: CЄΒΑCΤΗΝΩΝ Dionysos driving biga of panthers to right, holding a long thyrsos in in his right hand and reins in his left. 
BMC 38. RPC VI online 5672. 
Leu Numismatik, July 2022

U23-17Panther Biga Sicily.jpg

Katane, Sicily. Æ20. 212 BC
Obv: KATANAI-Ω-N, wreathed head of Dionysos right
Rev: Dionysos seated in biga pulled by panthers
20.09mm, 7.51 grams
SNG Copenhagen 200
Marc Breitsprecher, April 2022. 
Ex Ray Johnson Collection, purchased from Irv Carroll in 1965, with his ticket

Very cool collecting specialty 

• Like 1

Way to go on the Rocus!! I do love RRs that depict beautiful women. And the nymph on these is one of the most pleasant you'll see!

I'm exactly two into my collection of 12 total different sea creatures behind her head and letters above Poseidon:

2610239-removebg-preview.png.049a1663e5b8f630e4ed1416ebd52b1d.png

(Heritage actually had this sea anenomi listed as an amphora behind her head!? Guess their Roman Republic person isn't up to speed on the theme)

1224925_1591361402-removebg-preview.png.19ee42e086f67193ce5d1269147bdf7c.png

(You only get my little crabs pinchers)

• Like 10
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:51 PM, Roman Collector said:

Very cool!

Here's Artemis in a stag biga.

[IMG]
Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
Roman provincial Æ 28.5 mm, 11.90 g, 5 h.
Ionia, Ephesus, AD 222-235.
Obv: IOVΛIA MAMAIA CЄB, draped bust, right, wearing stephane.
Rev: EΦЄCIΩN ΠΡΩTΩN ACIAC, Artemis driving biga of stags right, holding bow and drawing arrow from quiver.
Refs: RPC VI, 4975 (temporary); Karwiese 804; SNG von Aulock --; SNG Copenhagen --.
Notes: Ex-Plankenhorn Collection of Ionian Coins, ex-Naumann Auction 91, lot 927, 7 May, 2020.

Nice coin, @Roman Collector. I like the reverse design of Artemis drawing arrow while driving a biga of stags. It has more action than simply driving the biga. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryro said:

Way to go on the Rocus!! I do love RRs that depict beautiful women. And the nymph on these is one of the most pleasant you'll see!

I'm exactly two into my collection of 12 total different sea creatures behind her head and letters above Poseidon:

2610239-removebg-preview.png.049a1663e5b8f630e4ed1416ebd52b1d.png

(Heritage actually had this sea anenomi listed as an amphora behind her head!? Guess their Roman Republic person isn't up to speed on the theme)

1224925_1591361402-removebg-preview.png.19ee42e086f67193ce5d1269147bdf7c.png

(You only get my little crabs pinchers)

Nice coins, @Ryro. I like both portraits in addition to the bigas!  🙂

• Thanks 1