Jump to content

Coins That Go Bump In The Night V: I, I, I am staying unalive *NSFYMW


Ryro
 Share

Recommended Posts

The man heard that faint and awkward knock that only the FEDUPs delivery driver can make on wood. 

1587872234_200(1).gif.fff67e4654245dfd9227a5afcec9f51b.gif

He began to persipatate, a lot. It was the coins from Europe that were supposed to arrive weeks ago. Weeks ago, when his wife wasn't going to be home when the package arrived. 

He jumped into a dead sprint. Only one quick turn and then it was a straight shot to the front. The front, where his marriage laid in shambles if he couldn't get this package before she saw it and then began the grand inquisition. 

spanishinquisition.gif.b7075921f1cb9f3a42305d64ff76e4fe.gif

He SLAMS the wall on the turn and three large beads of sweat go flying against it. 

He's going full out now. She's not said a word and he is in his prime, like Prefontaine when he literally would leave people yards, and even laps, in his dust. He DESERVED this. 

perfect-finish.jpg.ef24737f06a60428f64615483b44e8db.jpg(Stop Steve! That's razor wire!)

As he slides on the hardwood, the doorknob slides into his hands like the hilt of a sword into the hand of Aurelian (or Ash Williams into his chainsaw arm for that matter).

VlAw.gif.521d95f9ba30ea4a8bc32a5b8a703748.gif

Ripping open the door his eyes dart to the package. "God damn." he whispers aloud to himself. It was from his favorite house and was HIS prize for having slid one more past her. 

And then, "Krrsplshhhh!"

Krrsplshhhh! The exact sound made when a double-axe cleaves the side of a distracted man's skull by a wife standing outside and not at all what she seemed. 

angry-mad.gif.06396ad2c93fd506302e40462347dc8b.gif200w-4.gif.26669db4b6d3686bcb6d72a4571dc3fc.gif

He lurches forward, falls dead on his face. And then begins the involuntary spams and blood spurting like a firehydrant on a hot summer's day. 

blood.gif.6802856e663b0286c2b20038afeb90c0.gif

She wipes the blood off of her large gold rimmed glasses, grabs the package from his lifeless hands and does a twirl as she hugs the package. 

giphy.gif.2d44931e0b681d572dbd3b21af854e1d.gif

If you read part of that and it scared you, made you uncomfortable or check your tracking info, then you are my kinda people😘!

Now, onto other disturbing imagery on coin to celebrate the oncoming of Samhain...

History-of-Halloween.jpg.73af0e09fece8679cd2fafd542714306.jpg

My latest AR from Nero featuring Divus (Divine still equals DEAD🥶) Claudius with both portraits, has Claudius looking reminiscent of the, too, late husband in tonight's tale.

After being cleaved, our Claudius appears to have had his brains scooped out!

3239708_1662397056.l-removebg-preview.png.8ed9123d73690dbab40620323a35c303.png

CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea. Nero with Divus Claudius, 54-68 AD. AR, Didrachm.

Obv: NERO [C]LAVD [DIVI CL]AVD F CAESAR AVG GERMA.

Laureate head of Nero, right.

Rev: [DIVOS CLAVD AVGVST GERM]ANIC PATER AVG.

Laureate head of Divus Claudius, right.

RPC 3647; Sydenham, Caesarea 68.

Condition: Good very fine.

Weight: 7.44 g.

Diameter: 22.40 mm.

 

For some reason many of you all are afraid and grossed out by insects, even grasshoppers! Happy to oblige.

200w-5.gif.ee679e0fd401c5443ca7777c16f59a77.gif

Not me though. I think they're delicious!

Screenshot_20220621-193720_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.b3a91fb6683203a31f8cc27f6b46fb2f.png

SICILY, "Kainon".

Circa 365 BC. Æ 25mm (7.15 g, 11h). Griffin springing left; below, grasshopper left / Horse prancing left, trailing rein; star above. CNS 10; SNG ANS 1176 (Alaesa). Green and brown patina.

Not identifiable with a known mint in Sicily, the Kainon issues have traditionally been attributed to Alaisa. They may have been struck by mercenaries in the employ of Dione of Leontini.

A completely rational phobia would be that of being gored by a bull.

giphy-21.gif.464b0b14ccc2ea83ea7118cb1c6e1db1.gif

A less rational one might be, Bovinophobia, to simply be afraid of all cows. But there's nothing irrational about fearing this BEAST:

2969128_1655372507.l-removebg-preview.png.15fccb936ea2088cbc3c12d22733edf4.png

Pylaimenes II/III Euergetes(Circa 133-103 BC). AE.

(Bronze.4.18g 18mm) KINGS OF PAPHLAGONIA. 

Facinghead of a bull.

Rev:ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΠYΛΑΙΜΕΝΟΥ / ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ./ Winged kerykeion.

SNG BM 1555. SNG vonAulock150..

 

aaand from one of the best auction houses out there, a coin that scares many a reader, for their own personal reasons... a dude with a larger dong than you😡Why's everybody so obsessed with this in America. Said the BDB.

3142759_1659939291.l-removebg-preview.png.238f12f544b71b655f6257a0a64f7859.png

MOESIA INFERIOR. Nicopolis ad Istrum. Septimius Severus (193-211). Ae.

Obv: AV [...]Π CEVHPOC.

Laureate head right.

Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC IC.

Ithyphallic Priapus standing left, revealing himself. Cf. Varbanov 2366.

Condition: Near very fine.

Weight: 2.74 g.

Diameter: 19

 

Hard to beat a beheading in the grand scream of things😵

1500248737_2184097_1631628307.l-removebg-preview(1).png.def74bf8d5c72b416918e52d11c257c4.png

Sadly, though the helmet is to die for, the reverse doesn't show much of the severed head... so here you go champ:

tumblr_neg1uysgpi1s1v3r1o1_500.gif.bfdd536293acd75acd2a9684d3edc9f2.gif

And one last oldie, but deadly. A coin from the grandfather, on his dad's side, of Count Dracula!!!

nosferatu-vampire.gif.bc075a890043fce1d3d8a78b5d96e49d.gif

IMG_0813.JPG.c3501fc64f11645fdad5f48cc126110d.JPG

Wallachia Mircea cel Bătrân (grandfather of Vlad "The impaler" Sepis AKA DRACULA),

1386-1418 ss Ducat 1386-1418 Romania

 

What could you scare us with? Please share your spooky, nasty, macabre thoughts, coins or whatever kills the beast inside!

Oh, and HAPPY ALL HOLLOWS EVE!!!

2606163_1647531781.l-removebg-preview.png

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 18
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 2
  • Laugh 3
  • Clap 2
  • Mind blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fun thread and terrifying tale!

Last time I saw a face like Uberitas's it was in a haunted house!

Trebonianus Gallus VBERITAS AVG Antioch antoninianus closeup.jpg

[IMG]
Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
Roman AR antoninianus, 5.43 g, 20.1 mm, 6 h.
Antioch, first series, AD 251-252.
Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right; •••• below.
Rev: VBERITAS AVG, Uberitas standing left, holding purse and cornucopiae; •••• in exergue.
Refs: RIC 92; Cohen 125; RCV 9652; Hunter p. cvi; ERIC II 63.

~~~

A rather ghoulish-looking Pudicitia -- or perhaps she's just wearing a gas mask:

[IMG]

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman AR denarius, 3.20 g, 17.6 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 211.
Obv: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: PVDICITIA, Pudicitia veiled and stolate, seated left, head and torso facing, right hand on breast and left hand resting on chair and holding scepter.
Refs: RIC 385; BMCRE 19; Cohen 165 (error); RSC 172a; RCV 7105; Hill 1298; CRE 383; ERIC II 210.
Notes: Ex E. Button, Frankfurter Münzhandlung 114, lot 619, Dec. 5, 1967. Ex CNG Triton XX, lot 614 E053, Jan. 9, 2017.
 
 
  • Like 16
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ryro said:

Hard to beat a beheading in the grand scream of things😵

Standard grading does not apply to this type.  To be a good coin, you need a clear head and good gushing blood from the neck.  Add to that, the coin needs a clear weapon and head of Perseus on flan.  All that can come on a Fine and all can be missing on a mint state.  I bought this Amastris for the face on Medusa. It has a lot of faults I choose to overlook as will its next owner.  g61497fd1612.jpg.94cb15508f09433e9b60bdad9aa4033a.jpg

 

  • Like 14
  • Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about this Sasanian drachm of the zombie king Khusro II?  The portrait was clearly taken after his death, note the deep, sunken eye sockets and the teeth revealed where his cheeks have rotted away!  (Those "teeth" are actually supposed to be his beard.) 

image.jpeg.594ca74b35b99e0f96bd64c645e90df7.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1
  • Shock 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So SCARY !!! 🤡:classic_biggrin:🤡

normal_Parion_01.jpg.17c488cb468a67741e9302670cf43b49.jpg

Parion, Mysia
Hemidrachm
4th century BC
Obv.: Facing gorgoneion surrounded by snakes
Rev.: ΠΑ / ΡΙ, Bull standing left, head reverted. Monogram below
Ag, 13mm, 2.27g
Ref.: SNG France 1390

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

Great seasonal topic!

I think this coin is probably best suited to the topic. The trophy looks like a scarecrow or a floating ghost!

pergamon_trophy.jpg.fd6e41ca3bae72d56cff15644f250746.jpg

 

However, by far my scariest coin is this one...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes. This is the high-priority coin I was outbid on and therefore is not part of my collection. Had I won it, you would have seen it multiple times now as I would have posted it with glee, but instead it lies hidden in a box of some evil miser who deprived me of its joy.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Cry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some seriously twisted coins in here. You all are my kind of deviants!

Put on your big kid pants cause here are a few more diabolical entries☠️

You knew that Herakles was half God. But did you know Herakles also was half robot?!?!?!

2117444_1629210855.l-removebg-preview.png.d951baeb2757cfa7e7477e4b5a191832.png

Kinda like modern doofuses who think they are gods that are actually robots:

47-478500_mark-zuckerberg-face-black-and-white-monochrome-photography.png.2193c033fce73a5781abb7e3b829a1da.png

Gojirrrraaaaa!

2422558_1639333919.l-removebg-preview.png.fb2fb3ec357b65a0cc216cb51275058c.png

200w-6.gif.fefd6b9ff87785d488b693648e184a30.gif

Modern surgeries scare the crap out of me! Here are a few ladies getting their faces lifted:

2481081_1641892901.l-removebg-preview.png.6cca94891654c96a24482bb3326e5d78.png

2355581_1636982332.l-removebg-preview.png.cf3707e758d105d53bec8f4025847bed.png

Before:

5180cb2957efc0ef4dbaa5c70d6beb099c7ec8e1_hq.gif.4eb4ebff7aabb279e3013ff0f4b7d699.gif

After:

dwight-schrutes-face-mask.gif.bafd7ff9c38a62a53d8bcbaf665fe5f1.gif

Aaaaand I'll end with an oldie but a spooky. My ever tortured Athenatrying to escape the coin I've trapped her in:

MugLife_07252020182544.gif.0de1e7c3872ee0154fc470310fb6fa76.gif

 

Morer horror!!!

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 1
  • Gasp 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A few more spookies as the not so holy day is on its way.

Happy to get a MSC in such cherry condition with the serpent coiled below the helmet

black-green.gif.63f72e05b138fc5b1f6b21fec5f6aaab.gif

3235432_1662388586.l-removebg-preview.png.d1b23159ab9e9b2cee488cdec32523da.png

Unlike us, they viewed snakes as good luck. 

200-8.gif.ff2e4e3e637c5231fcbcdb65b43fd019.gif

(A little too much luck for my pallet)

My wife will never watch scurry movies with me if kids or anermals get hurt...I won't bother to name the slew of ancient Greek heroes that participated in the hunt. 

Screenshot_20220901_162158-removebg-preview.png.ec5339ad31352d892b5f13e9c9666e60.pnggiphy-8.gif.88ad5c50227829cb718c3ba924621ca0.gif

And I'll end with an ugly little coin, of an ugly monster, with a surprisingly creepy\psychotic gorgon on the boss:

Screenshot_20220929_144507-removebg-preview.png.ed7a3da40eff53acd55699a2127814d3.png

3_1.jpg.30e6cc23a7af48f50d231565cabd3401.jpg

(Check it out. Even got the unintended tie in with more snakes!)

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On this coin of Toramana II, a Hephthalite ruler of Kashmir c.530-560, check out the king's right hand on the obverse.  It's clearly transforming into some hideous giant claw!  And on the reverse, the seated goddess-figure has some sort of lobster claw for her left hand:

image.jpeg.505a8ffb386dace143f5efe4f25b017a.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 6:39 PM, Ryro said:

The man heard that faint and awkward knock that only the FEDUPs delivery driver can make on wood. 

1587872234_200(1).gif.fff67e4654245dfd9227a5afcec9f51b.gif

He began to persipatate, a lot. It was the coins from Europe that were supposed to arrive weeks ago. Weeks ago, when his wife wasn't going to be home when the package arrived. 

He jumped into a dead sprint. Only one quick turn and then it was a straight shot to the front. The front, where his marriage laid in shambles if he couldn't get this package before she saw it and then began the grand inquisition. 

spanishinquisition.gif.b7075921f1cb9f3a42305d64ff76e4fe.gif

He SLAMS the wall on the turn and three large beads of sweat go flying against it. 

He's going full out now. She's not said a word and he is in his prime, like Prefontaine when he literally would leave people yards, and even laps, in his dust. He DESERVED this. 

perfect-finish.jpg.ef24737f06a60428f64615483b44e8db.jpg(Stop Steve! That's razor wire!)

As he slides on the hardwood, the doorknob slides into his hands like the hilt of a sword into the hand of Aurelian (or Ash Williams into his chainsaw arm for that matter).

VlAw.gif.521d95f9ba30ea4a8bc32a5b8a703748.gif

Ripping open the door his eyes dart to the package. "God damn." he whispers aloud to himself. It was from his favorite house and was HIS prize for having slid one more past her. 

And then, "Krrsplshhhh!"

Krrsplshhhh! The exact sound made when a double-axe cleaves the side of a distracted man's skull by a wife standing outside and not at all what she seemed. 

angry-mad.gif.06396ad2c93fd506302e40462347dc8b.gif200w-4.gif.26669db4b6d3686bcb6d72a4571dc3fc.gif

He lurches forward, falls dead on his face. And then begins the involuntary spams and blood spurting like a firehydrant on a hot summer's day. 

blood.gif.6802856e663b0286c2b20038afeb90c0.gif

She wipes the blood off of her large gold rimmed glasses, grabs the package from his lifeless hands and does a twirl as she hugs the package. 

giphy.gif.2d44931e0b681d572dbd3b21af854e1d.gif

If you read part of that and it scared you, made you uncomfortable or check your tracking info, then you are my kinda people😘!

Now, onto other disturbing imagery on coin to celebrate the oncoming of Samhain...

History-of-Halloween.jpg.73af0e09fece8679cd2fafd542714306.jpg

My latest AR from Nero featuring Divus (Divine still equals DEAD🥶) Claudius with both portraits, has Claudius looking reminiscent of the, too, late husband in tonight's tale.

After being cleaved, our Claudius appears to have had his brains scooped out!

3239708_1662397056.l-removebg-preview.png.8ed9123d73690dbab40620323a35c303.png

CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea. Nero with Divus Claudius, 54-68 AD. AR, Didrachm.

Obv: NERO [C]LAVD [DIVI CL]AVD F CAESAR AVG GERMA.

Laureate head of Nero, right.

Rev: [DIVOS CLAVD AVGVST GERM]ANIC PATER AVG.

Laureate head of Divus Claudius, right.

RPC 3647; Sydenham, Caesarea 68.

Condition: Good very fine.

Weight: 7.44 g.

Diameter: 22.40 mm.

 

For some reason many of you all are afraid and grossed out by insects, even grasshoppers! Happy to oblige.

200w-5.gif.ee679e0fd401c5443ca7777c16f59a77.gif

Not me though. I think they're delicious!

Screenshot_20220621-193720_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.b3a91fb6683203a31f8cc27f6b46fb2f.png

SICILY, "Kainon".

Circa 365 BC. Æ 25mm (7.15 g, 11h). Griffin springing left; below, grasshopper left / Horse prancing left, trailing rein; star above. CNS 10; SNG ANS 1176 (Alaesa). Green and brown patina.

Not identifiable with a known mint in Sicily, the Kainon issues have traditionally been attributed to Alaisa. They may have been struck by mercenaries in the employ of Dione of Leontini.

A completely rational phobia would be that of being gored by a bull.

giphy-21.gif.464b0b14ccc2ea83ea7118cb1c6e1db1.gif

A less rational one might be, Bovinophobia, to simply be afraid of all cows. But there's nothing irrational about fearing this BEAST:

2969128_1655372507.l-removebg-preview.png.15fccb936ea2088cbc3c12d22733edf4.png

Pylaimenes II/III Euergetes(Circa 133-103 BC). AE.

(Bronze.4.18g 18mm) KINGS OF PAPHLAGONIA. 

Facinghead of a bull.

Rev:ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΠYΛΑΙΜΕΝΟΥ / ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ./ Winged kerykeion.

SNG BM 1555. SNG vonAulock150..

 

aaand from one of the best auction houses out there, a coin that scares many a reader, for their own personal reasons... a dude with a larger dong than you😡Why's everybody so obsessed with this in America. Said the BDB.

3142759_1659939291.l-removebg-preview.png.238f12f544b71b655f6257a0a64f7859.png

MOESIA INFERIOR. Nicopolis ad Istrum. Septimius Severus (193-211). Ae.

Obv: AV [...]Π CEVHPOC.

Laureate head right.

Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC IC.

Ithyphallic Priapus standing left, revealing himself. Cf. Varbanov 2366.

Condition: Near very fine.

Weight: 2.74 g.

Diameter: 19

 

Hard to beat a beheading in the grand scream of things😵

1500248737_2184097_1631628307.l-removebg-preview(1).png.def74bf8d5c72b416918e52d11c257c4.png

Sadly, though the helmet is to die for, the reverse doesn't show much of the severed head... so here you go champ:

tumblr_neg1uysgpi1s1v3r1o1_500.gif.bfdd536293acd75acd2a9684d3edc9f2.gif

And one last oldie, but deadly. A coin from the grandfather, on his dad's side, of Count Dracula!!!

nosferatu-vampire.gif.bc075a890043fce1d3d8a78b5d96e49d.gif

IMG_0813.JPG.c3501fc64f11645fdad5f48cc126110d.JPG

Wallachia Mircea cel Bătrân (grandfather of Vlad "The impaler" Sepis AKA DRACULA),

1386-1418 ss Ducat 1386-1418 Romania

 

What could you scare us with? Please share your spooky, nasty, macabre thoughts, coins or whatever kills the beast inside!

Oh, and HAPPY ALL HOLLOWS EVE!!!

2606163_1647531781.l-removebg-preview.png

@Ryro, this is when it lands on me that I just haven't watched enough splat movies ...to be a culturally literate American, just for one.

There needs to be an imogee for (accessing Kendrick Lamar:) "Damn!"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, Ryro said:

A few more spookies as the not so holy day is on its way.

Happy to get a MSC in such cherry condition with the serpent coiled below the helmet

black-green.gif.63f72e05b138fc5b1f6b21fec5f6aaab.gif

3235432_1662388586.l-removebg-preview.png.d1b23159ab9e9b2cee488cdec32523da.png

Unlike us, they viewed snakes as good luck. 

200-8.gif.ff2e4e3e637c5231fcbcdb65b43fd019.gif

(A little too much luck for my pallet)

My wife will never watch scurry movies with me if kids or anermals get hurt...I won't bother to name the slew of ancient Greek heroes that participated in the hunt. 

Screenshot_20220901_162158-removebg-preview.png.ec5339ad31352d892b5f13e9c9666e60.pnggiphy-8.gif.88ad5c50227829cb718c3ba924621ca0.gif

And I'll end with an ugly little coin, of an ugly monster, with a surprisingly creepy\psychotic gorgon on the boss:

Screenshot_20220929_144507-removebg-preview.png.ed7a3da40eff53acd55699a2127814d3.png

3_1.jpg.30e6cc23a7af48f50d231565cabd3401.jpg

(Check it out. Even got the unintended tie in with more snakes!)

Nope, that's another 'Wish there was an imogee for 'Damn'' one.

 

 

  • Laugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, UkrainiiVityaz said:

galliabelgicapotin.jpg.f0363fe093f98d0040a6bba1b24b32b6.jpg

 

Gallia Belgica Potin ca. 1st century, with a druid figure on front and wolf killing bear on reverse.

Thanks for your gory Gallia Beligica!

Man, did those Celts know how to make creepy coins

face-melting-indiana-jones.gif.fb062ec756c041e660c7f8638fb743d2.gif

2481052_1641892889.l-removebg-preview.png.93ff636f81a4c6f9646b09d927894afd.png2464723_1641205069.l-removebg-preview.png.07d76116594a6283c5b3b245e8413e57.pngScreenshot_20211001-093707_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.ab24c66d314d9cf9122d4ec7308510a8.png

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...