Coin show haul- Pirate silver and a couple of Julio-Claudians!

JayAg47

Went to my local coin show today, a Spanish cob 8 reales is a bucket-list coin, and luckily I got one within my budget.

205224071_8reales.jpg.c180064e854ab342ead0594eb4e80e12.jpg

8 Reales - Felipe IV, Spain
Philip IV (1621-1665)
1621-1665
26.17g

These two coins were a bonus that I picked from another dealer's ancient junk bin for 20 usd each! 

Although worn to the bone, I'll take this denarius of bare-headed Octavian any day, 

oct.jpg.2b3b21e25b0b62c2cafa88125af90ad8.jpg

Octavian, Ar denarius, 2.86g
40 BC
Obv: C CAESAR III VIR R P C, Bare head of Octavian right
Rev: Q SALVIVS IMP COS DESIG around winged thunderbolt

And finally a fourree 'Tribute Penny', I don't buy fourree coins, I'd rather have a worn one like above than one with a copper core, but this one's an exception, I really like the quality, the clear bust of Tiberius, even the details on Livia's face is good, also I'm not interested in paying 100s for such a common coin, so this example seemed a good compromise.

tib.jpg.e3a7b71c4b9da9451c67bfe0afc8c9cf.jpg

Tiberius
Fourree denarius, 2.84g, 14-37 AD.
Obv- TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS; Laureate bust right
Rev- PONTIF MAXIM; Livia (as Pax) seated right on throne holding long sceptre and olive branch.

Please post any relevant coins!

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 12

• Benefactor

Nice pickups!  Your 8 reales has particularly nice bold center detail on both sides.

The 8 reales has the typical barrel shape flan typical of Philip IV.  Indeed that is one way to distinguish his coinage from that of Charles II, which generally had much cruder strikes and often very irregular flans. 

Also, Mexican 8 reales cobs have very distinctive rounded points on the reverse cross, an easy way to distinguish them from cobs from other mints.

Here's a posthumous 8 reales of Philip IV, dated 1667.  Philip died in 1665, but coinage in his name continued in Mexico City from 1666 to part of 1667.  The coinage for Charles II, his successor, started that year.  Since this example has no peripheral information, as is common with these coins, the default king is Philip IV.  If there were letters suggesting Charles II, the coin would be worth about double the value of a Philip IV 8 reales.

This coin shows a transition from the barrel shape flans of the 1650 to a more squarish configuration.  As far as detail is concerned, this coin is typical for the crude coinage of the period.  However, it does have a bold assayer (G) with a hint of the earlier assayer P under the G.  Additionally, the date, 1667 can be seen to the left of the mint/assayer, with the bottoms of the two sixes and the seven, more complete fairly visitble.

I acquired this coin several years ago.  It is a salvaged coin, with somewhat eroded surfaces.  I was told that it came from a salvage on the Musi River, Sumatra, Indonesia.  That's a possibility and I have no reason to doubt that origin, but other salvaged coins from Indonesia have appears coming form the ocean, from an unspecified wreck.

Mexico Philip IV 8 reales 1667 G over P Musi River Sumatra salvage.

KM 45

25.4 grams

736153188_D-CameraMexicoPhilipIV8reales1667GoverPMusiRiverSumatrasalvage25.4gkm459-30-22.jpg.c9b606169cbd30bc2fadce4036b728f3.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 8