Jump to content

Selling Ancients Pointers


Joshua.Lemons
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've got some ancients for sale and would like to know what sites you all use to do that. Also, if one was bought from a reputable dealer, is it ok to mention that dealers name in the listing or just provide that information if asked?  Looking for pointers. If I can come out close to even on my price paid, I'm happy.  Thanks for the forums help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Joshua.Lemons said:

I've got some ancients for sale and would like to know what sites you all use to do that. Also, if one was bought from a reputable dealer, is it ok to mention that dealers name in the listing or just provide that information if asked?  Looking for pointers. If I can come out close to even on my price paid, I'm happy.  Thanks for the forums help.

Have a look at the Menu at top and choose The Cabinet if you are looking to sell on here. Of course, depending on condition, desirability etc an auction house is another option. I am sure others will have some more opinions and advice for you

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, expat said:

Have a look at the Menu at top and choose The Cabinet if you are looking to sell on here. Of course, depending on condition, desirability etc an auction house is another option. I am sure others will have some more opinions and advice for you

Are you having problems with your own e-bay store? I remember you had some with your last store with it being compromised or something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it depends on what they are and how quickly you want to sell.

You can try selling on the forum as suggested.

If they’re quite common and low value (say under $200), you could sell them on eBay. If you’re not in a hurry, you should sell them as ‘buy it now’, not auctions, pitching at the higher end and reducing if they don’t sell in reasonable time (or send offers when eligible). Then you should be able to sell them on average for 25% markup or whatever it has to be to cover eBay’s fees and postage, and so break even overall. But that could take years to sell all the coins. And you have to do all the photography and listings.

If you want a quicker result, and have a fair number of coins, or they’re high value, you can consign them to an auction house. They might charge you no fee if your consignment is reasonable value. But this is riskier as you have to go with whatever someone will pay on the day. If your coins aren’t high value there’s the risk they will put them in a group lot that is likely to sell for less than individually.

You could sell them to the dealers you got them from. You won’t get all your money back, obviously. But it’s easiest. I think some offer the option to list your coin but not buy it, so you might only have to pay them a cut (as they won’t be buying it from you).

Yes you can name the dealers. If they’re a well known dealer and you have some sort of ticket or receipt, all the better.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, expat said:

I am a little confused still at the question. The OP has his/her own e-bay store selling coins. Am I allowed to post a link to it on here?

Just curious if you found eBay to be a good selling site for ancients?  Are there a lot of buyers?  I would likely list them as BIN with offers.  But my biggest thing is can I say in the listing purchased from so and so or is that taboo?  I don't sell tons on eBay. It comes in spurts. My last store was closed due to them not being able to verify identity when eBay took over payments.  Got an email the day after I submitted documents saying the store was closed permanently. But, no problem when I registered for a new one!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Maybe the op would like to share his/her reasons?...If not I would second putting a few up for sale here on the Forum...

I would prefer to have a more of a specific audience for these coins. Many of the things I still in eBay are lots, slabs and silver.  I've not sold a single ancient before, only bought.  I can attach a few pictures of three potential listings. IMG_20220921_204433954.jpg.3f97a8ec804ebde280e2167718c0de80.jpgIMG_20220921_204443221.jpg.ec2ff3c8b49740d12ae881c3521d81ac.jpgIMG_20220921_204403952.jpg.6efde94cdacfa8102bbbcc52d0612af7.jpgIMG_20220921_204412690.jpg.59d1a1542c100e70331cb220b97535d0.jpgIMG_20220921_204254721.jpg.1b4f64d12e5187ffb824df98ac2abdbe.jpgIMG_20220921_204316156.jpg.22054aeea7929b8796e87e18930e5107.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Joshua.Lemons said:

Just curious if you found eBay to be a good selling site for ancients?  Are there a lot of buyers?  I would likely list them as BIN with offers.  But my biggest thing is can I say in the listing purchased from so and so or is that taboo?  I don't sell tons on eBay. It comes in spurts. My last store was closed due to them not being able to verify identity when eBay took over payments.  Got an email the day after I submitted documents saying the store was closed permanently. But, no problem when I registered for a new one!  

Thanks for clarifying. I, personally have never purchased one from e-bay. Mine have come from dealers on VCoins. Listing them here on the Cabinet sub-forum can't hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joshua.Lemons said:

I would prefer to have a more of a specific audience for these coins. Many of the things I still in eBay are lots, slabs and silver.  I've not sold a single ancient before, only bought.  I can attach a few pictures of three potential listings. IMG_20220921_204433954.jpg.3f97a8ec804ebde280e2167718c0de80.jpgIMG_20220921_204443221.jpg.ec2ff3c8b49740d12ae881c3521d81ac.jpgIMG_20220921_204403952.jpg.6efde94cdacfa8102bbbcc52d0612af7.jpgIMG_20220921_204412690.jpg.59d1a1542c100e70331cb220b97535d0.jpgIMG_20220921_204254721.jpg.1b4f64d12e5187ffb824df98ac2abdbe.jpgIMG_20220921_204316156.jpg.22054aeea7929b8796e87e18930e5107.jpg

eBay would probably be ok for these. It’s not that easy to sell more common Roman coins and break even because people can easily shop around and are price sensitive, so you might lose a bit. Particularly if you’re in the US with the strong dollar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in the US. I'm definitely not asking to turn a profit, just get as close to even as I can.  There are a couple, very common, I may auction style list. Thanks for everyone's help. I may list 2-3 on the bay just to see what happens and go from there.

40 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

eBay would probably be ok for these. It’s not that easy to sell more common Roman coins and break even because people can easily shop around and are price sensitive, so you might lose a bit. Particularly if you’re in the US with the strong dollar.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no problem stating where you bought the coin - previous sales appearances are usually quoted in auction listings, especially older ones.   The older the provenance the better.   Potential buyers may have more confidence in a coin if they see it has been sold previously by a well-known dealer.   The only reason a seller would omit such information is if they bought it for X in an auction last month and are now listing it for 5X 🙂

ATB,

Aidan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...