Tooled Denarius?

Rasilon

Hello,

I recently came across this denarius of Claudius online. It looks to me like the reverse is tooled but I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing and would welcome your input. I'm seeing the sharp outline of the snake but slightly above it is a fainter silhouette of the snake's top coil. It's like someone was tooling the snake's outline but messed up on the top bit. In contrast the sharp outlines of the snake, the caduceus is extremely faint. The legs of Pax-Nemesis also seem oddly sharp.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rasilon

3160317_1660223061.jpg

• Like 2

I've never owned an AR Denarius of Claudius, but to me this doesn't look tooled. I think the details you mentioned were just protected in the recesses, and the caduceus struck weakly or worn (though it does look fainter than usual).

The only thing I can recall ever thinking about this particular type was, "Gosh, there sure are a lot of fourrees (plated) of this type!" But I don't see any broken plating on the example shown.

By the way, here are more examples: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=claudius+nemesis+AR+denarius&category=1

• Like 1

Tooling? I don't think so. The weight is a bit light but is what one naturally might expect from a coin with this much wear (still almost all silver in the time of Claudius). With this much wear a fourree would be much lighter than 3.64 grams. If I saw this coin at a show and could get it a good price I'd have bought it. Denarii of Claudius are not easy to come by.

• Like 1