holed and plugged

Andrew McCabe

just want to alert peeps that the coin below seems to have been holed and plugged. I wrote to the seller a few days ago to point out that you can see the matching repair marks at 11:30pm on the Pharos side and 6:30pm on the Scylla side, at the same location, different metal, evidence of scrapes cleaning up where the hole was plugged etc., they acknowledged receipt of message but have not responded to the content nor changed the listing. So, am now posting online. No need to know where it is listed, just that it looks like a classic holed and plugged repair.

Untitled 1.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Yes 1

Just in a quick search I didn't find any photos of the pre-repaired coin in ACSearch or the "Richard Schaefer Binders" (only checked "processed" No. 21), but that doesn't mean they're not in there somewhere. It would be nice to find a photo of the version while still holed!

I wouldn't have caught that.

(BTW: Keep posting here!)

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 3

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

This holed coin just reminded me that exactly one year ago, the numismatic world was in SHOCK !

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/big-batch-of-aureii-withdrawn-from-cng.385891/#post-7872563

I remember that episode well! 

Is anyone familiar with the auction house offering without disclosure the plugged coin that @shanxi points out, namely Via-Numismatic, self-described as "Das neue auktionshaus in Wien"? I've never heard of them.

I would consider buying a holed & plugged coin if I liked it otherwise. Obviously, disclosure is the issue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I remember that episode well! 

Is anyone familiar with the auction house offering without disclosure the plugged coin that @shanxi points out, namely Via-Numismatic, self-described as "Das neue auktionshaus in Wien"? I've never heard of them.

I would consider buying a holed & plugged coin if I liked it otherwise. Obviously, disclosure is the issue.

I bought a coin from a Via auction last year, no problems to report. Though I think they've had the occasional questionable coin, not as bad as say Solidus or such, but worth keeping an eye out. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Curtis JJ said:

Just in a quick search I didn't find any photos of the pre-repaired coin in ACSearch or the "Richard Schaefer Binders" (only checked "processed" No. 21), but that doesn't mean they're not in there somewhere. It would be nice to find a photo of the version while still holed!

I wouldn't have caught that.

(BTW: Keep posting here!)

This coin was sold by Tauler & Fau in 2021 and they list it as being from the "Poinssot" collection, apparently formed before 1967. Not the most interesting update considering it wasn't holed back then either, but still

8708221.jpg.9cecfe30d48ada8a8d521a68d135e5cc.jpg

Tauler & Fau 95, 252.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1