Gold Dinar to determine

LuckyLuudje

Today I had a day off and went to both  of my 2 old contacts of bullion to see if they has something around for me and I came home with more than expected.

3 coins in total, So I spended my collecting  budget for this month. A Dutch golden Dukat from Utrecht 1815 (3,5gram 20,35mm). An Electrum Hekte (2,6 gram 10,08mm) of wich I think is from Lesbos and a golden Dinar(3,0 gram 23,33mm).

The last one Is interesting for me as it is my first Dinar and I tried to determine it. but after searching for more than an hour I found nothing what came close.

So if someone has an idea about period or location, It would be verhelpfull.

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

• Like 7
  • Popcorn 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Your dinar is Great Seljuks, Tughril Beg, 1038-1063, struck at Nishapur in AH 451 (AD 1059). The ruler is cited on the reverse as al-sultan al-mu'azzam shahanshah al-amir rukn al-din Tughril Beg ("the sultan, the great, king of kings, commander, pillar of the faith, Tughril Beg"). Tughril Beg itself means something like "Falcon Lord". The obverse cites the 'Abbasid caliph al-Qa'im b'amr Allah (1031-1075). Album 1665.

For comparison:

https://cngcoins.com/Lot.aspx?LOT_ID=24211

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, LuckyLuudje said:

Wow, Thanks. I had been looking  pictures online for hours without any succes.

Too bad it is nothing really special, but It is still real gold with a lot of history. Now I can document it, thanks !

The wildcard is the price of gold which has increased more than 600% over the last 20 years. For "common" medieval gold coins, the bullion value has overtaken the collector value. However, if the price of gold were to crash again, I suspect your dinar would hold its value far better than most modern gold.

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Smile 1

32 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

It's a very cool coin!

DLTCoins, what are the most 'affordable' Islamic rulers in gold from the pre-1000 AD period?

I recommend scanning through Steve Album's Checklist of Islamic Coins. The current (3rd) edition can be downloaded free at the author's website. While it is not a price guide, it does employ a rarity scale. Many gold coins rated A (abundant), C (common) or even S (scarce) may be available in reasonable condition at a modest premium above melt. Most of the early coins are fine gold but there are exceptions. Exercise due diligence and bear in mind that dealers have to pay at least the scrap gold price and expect to make a profit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DLTcoins said:

I recommend scanning through Steve Album's Checklist of Islamic Coins. The current (3rd) edition can be downloaded free at the author's website. While it is not a price guide, it does employ a rarity scale. Many gold coins rated A (abundant), C (common) or even S (scarce) may be available in reasonable condition at a modest premium above melt. Most of the early coins are fine gold but there are exceptions. Exercise due diligence and bear in mind that dealers have to pay at least the scrap gold price and expect to make a profit.

That Album is interesting, thanks for the information.

I do like these Dinars ( they are an important part of the history of coins) and next month it is likely that I spend a little more than my monthly collecting budget because he had 5 more Dinars that he offers me for meltvalue + 10%.

He also has  10 Dinars more, but looking at the colour they all look to be debased with a silvery colour,  like Electrum. I assume they are later made because most systems debased their currence in time. But he asks the same price for those,  I already desided  to let those go.

I do have to make a big decission nexty month because I can get the best 3 silver medieval pennies selected from an old hoard for the same money as the 5 Dinars......Luckily I have a month to choose. So next month I post five more Dinars (with the annoying question to determine them) or 3 Anglo-Saxon Pennies.