Anastasius AE32 Follis.  Constantinople 491-518 AD

thenickelguy

Had a little trouble getting coins right with a seller and the order arrived today. Project completed.

1980260740_AnastasiusAE32Follis.ConstantinopleG.jpg.7d35eb21a83f1b72738d6b829ea2d4bd.jpg

This was a fairly inexpensive personal project to simply spell my first name in coins. M I K E

MIKE.jpg.ecd7bcd682dc5e9f487bef61febd0993.jpg

He was in his 60's when he was chosen for the throne by Ariadne, the wife of his predecessor Zeno. Her choice had to do with wanting an Orthodox emperor. She also then became wife of Anastasius. Zeno's brother Longinus, supported the barbarian Isaurians and was more likely to become emperor but did not and had sympathy from gangs of "Blues" and "Greens who rioted violently and eventually Anastasius fought a long war against Isaurian rebels in the Isaurian War, 492–497 AD.

Anastasian Wall
The Anastasian Wall already existed to some extent, but was renewed and completed around 507 to 512 AD by order of Anastasius to protect the city’s wealth and intending to maintain its prosperity for a long time. It was breached many times but must have had some defensive effectiveness.
He was trying protect the city from the increased military strength of the Bulgars and barbarians. 
When the Anastasian Wall was completed, it was 16 feet high with a thickness of 11 feet.
It was about 35 miles long. It spanned from the Black Sea coast to the coast of the Sea of Marmara to the west of Silivri. 

Before becoming emperor, Anastasius was a particularly successful administrator in the department of finance.
He eliminiated some taxes and was quite the economical wizard, created new coinage and denominations. He placed a lot of family and friends in high government positions. His economics were so successful that when he died, he left the Imperial treasury with 23,000,000 solidi, which is 320,000 pounds of gold
The currency created by Anastasius stayed in use and circulated widely for long after his reign.

Anastasius had one black eye and one blue eye.

• Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

I see that last post gave me a rank of "Experienced" :classic_huh:

I may be experienced, maybe in catfishing, maybe in driving truck, maybe even in the kitchen cooking? I have hardly scratched the surface in ancient coin collecting.

It is a bottomless pit and I have only looked down over the edge thus far.

My experience with you people however, has been very nice. Thank you!

• Like 1

I like your "MiKe" photo -- beautiful patinas on those coins lined up like that! I love my Byzantine bronze coins, including my one Anastasius Follis:

image.jpeg.86f08b5968e233c28a521651de03b003.jpeg

Byzantine (Eastern Roman). Anastasius I Æ Follis (32mm, 18.76g, 6h), struck in Constantinople, 498-518 CE.
Obv: Pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: Large M between two stars; cross above, Δ below; CON in ex.
Ref: DOC 23f; Sear 19.
Prov: NAC 46-II (2 Apr 2008), Lot 1184; Naville Numismatics 1 (14 Jun 2013), Lot 213; Naville 63 (6 Feb 2021), 707.

• Like 5

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, thenickelguy said:

I see that last post gave me a rank of "Experienced" :classic_huh:

I may be experienced, maybe in catfishing, maybe in driving truck, maybe even in the kitchen cooking? I have hardly scratched the surface in ancient coin collecting.

It is a bottomless pit and I have only looked down over the edge thus far.

My experience with you people however, has been very nice. Thank you!

Congrats on moving to the next level.

• Like 1