Gordianus III Aureus RIC 97 - Your opinions

Prieure de Sion

image.jpeg.7385fc00618db0eb4db1108bfd9de460.jpeg

image.jpeg.7c18c8793d87d7387b910c33c655fc1e.jpeg

Description: RIC# 97; Gold 4.75 g.; Gordian III; Obv: IMPGORDIANVSPIVSFELAVG - Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: AETERNITATIAVG - Sol standing, facing, raising hand and holding globe; UNC.

To be clear - I did NOT buy the coin at auction. It does not belong to me. 

But today, I admit, I did bid on it. At least I was in on it up to 3,900 euros (pre-bid). Then I forgot that today is the third day of the auction - and missed the auction. The Aureus was sold for 4,001 euros - which is currently not a bad price. I am therefore a bit annoyed to have missed the day today.

However, I am a bit sceptical about the coin. I'm not 100% convinced - that's why I was a bit cautious with the pre-bid.

At 12 o'clock I don't like it. Could that be a plugged hole?
What I also don't like - visually - is the long straight "line/edge" on the eye and the rough neck area plus the quirk on the cheek.

What do you think of the coin?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Etcherdude said:

I’m assuming that by bidding that kind of money on the coin you must have been relatively fine with it.

Up to 3900 euros, I was willing to make the mistakes and take the risk of a plugged hole. But if I am honest now. If I hadn't missed the auction today - I don't know if I would have bid 4100 euros or more. I think the will to go further would not have been there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.jpeg.7385fc00618db0eb4db1108bfd9de460.jpeg

image.jpeg.7c18c8793d87d7387b910c33c655fc1e.jpeg

Description: RIC# 97; Gold 4.75 g.; Gordian III; Obv: IMPGORDIANVSPIVSFELAVG - Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: AETERNITATIAVG - Sol standing, facing, raising hand and holding globe; UNC.

To be clear - I did NOT buy the coin at auction. It does not belong to me. 

But today, I admit, I did bid on it. At least I was in on it up to 3,900 euros (pre-bid). Then I forgot that today is the third day of the auction - and missed the auction. The Aureus was sold for 4,001 euros - which is currently not a bad price. I am therefore a bit annoyed to have missed the day today.

However, I am a bit sceptical about the coin. I'm not 100% convinced - that's why I was a bit cautious with the pre-bid.

At 12 o'clock I don't like it. Could that be a plugged hole?
What I also don't like - visually - is the long straight "line/edge" on the eye and the rough neck area plus the quirk on the cheek.

What do you think of the coin?

P. de Sion, Be thankful you didn't win the coin 😏. The coin is struck with worn dies & is loaded with flaws. The die break above the eye would drive me crazy every time I saw it 😣.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

P. de Sion, Be thankful you didn't win the coin 😏. The coin is struck with worn dies & is loaded with flaws. The die break above the eye would drive me crazy every time I saw it 😣.

I agree. If I had to have a Gordian III Aureus and had that kind of money for one, I'd be saving up for a less flawed one. But then, I'd probably never get one, as the better ones cost double that, apparently...

https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=2012193&AucID=4776&Lot=589&Val=7e75af542c6420341900c54297a8d49d

image00589.jpg

• Like 2

Gordian III Av Aureus 240 AD Obv Bust right laureate draped and cuirassed seen from back. Rv  Emperor standing left veiled and togate sacrificing over altar. RIC 22 4.97 grms 20 mm Photo by W. Hansengordianav1.jpg.b67ec16d31febb69e171c58c0006ac03.jpg

Though the current market for ancient gold is somewhat scary, the aureii of Gordian III are among the most doable of all Roman Aureii.  I agree with the threads above. Wait for a good one. The one posted by @Prieure de Sion above just has too many problems and those defects will eventually devour the coin. I made that mistake once I had bought a solidus of Honorius with a deep cut on the cheek. Almost immediately I regretted the purchase and sold it within a few days for a serious loss. My aureus is minted fairly early in the reign of Gordian so it does not have those sideburns like some of the later images.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1