Local monthly Coin Club meeting tonight

thenickelguy

We have a great little coin club, that is if you figure about 20-30 members showing up regularly.

Tonight I have to do "show and tell", This year we started having more in depth presentations than we had in the past. We used to have somebody or multiple members hold a coin oor so and pass them around. Now it has become a regular production and sometimes too lengthy.

I'll be short on speaking and have this complete set 1952 Topps "Look n See" non sports cards displayed and briefly comment on it while my laptop shows a looping slideshow of each card in the background.

I put together a collage of the 135 card set. Some appear yellow but they are not.

1952fronts.jpg.5e3c99a4e5b88b260f33524717ad152a.jpg

Hey, I know this is an ancient coin forum but there's a Julius Caesar and Nero card in the set!

1952No84ToppsLOOKnSEECaeserGallery.jpg.449f66fc105b9f5ecb2cc860165a9f62.jpg

1952No110ToppsLOOKnSEENeroGallery.jpg.486db9b3d2d6e0275aa0fc9e3761a657.jpg

We have business to wrap up on volunteers tonight for our annual coin show on fast approaching Aug 6th. Then a 50-50 two silver ounce door prizes, followed by our own little coin auction.

You just can't lose being a member.

I am usually the auctioneer. There won't be any ancient coins alas, but I usually come home with something.

Do you belong to a local coin club?

Tell is what yours is like.

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

I don't know of any in-person ancient coin groups in NYC. Even if I did, I would be very unlikely ever to attend, knowing that I would be (1) one of the few people under 70, and, more importantly, (2) almost certainly the only woman. Which isn't an issue for me online, but would make me very uncomfortable in person.  It's bad enough at the NYINC every year.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3

The Ancient Coin Club in my area takes summer breaks, so no gatherings until September, I believe. One of their members gave an excellent talk on ancients at a different coin club that I attended in the past, so I'm hoping to become a more steady presence there and learn from people with far more experience (kind of like this forum, actually).

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 1

I'm a member of the Numismatic Society of Ireland.   We have in-person meetings from September to May, which are very enjoyable and it's certainly well worth being a member of a society.

Since the Covid lockdowns started in 2020, we've operated over Zoom as well as in-person - all of the 2020/'21 season was virtual, as far as I recall.   Since some normality has returned, we've operated hybrid meetings, which have been a bit tricky to get right, we've had problems with lighting and sound, but at least members from outside Dublin and overseas have been able to attend.

The 2021/'22 season consisted of:

September: Show and tell (virtual) - normally, people bring along coins or other items they've acquired over the summer (or whenever) and talk about them and pass them around.

October: "Ireland's Miss Liberty" - about the model for the St Gaudens $10 gold eagle (Mary Cunningham). (hybrid, IIRC)

November - AGM & a talk (hybrid) on "The Politics of Ireland's Coinage 1926 - 2002" by Edward Colgan, author "For Want Of Good Money, the Story of Ireland's Coinage".

December - Annual auction (hybrid)

January - Display competition (virtual).   I won a nice medal in this competition some years ago with a display of Roman Republican coins - in fact, buying some representative Republican coins to show kickstarted my collection in this area.

February - Emil Szauer Memorial Lecture "Money of the Marchlands: the coinsges of Desmond c. 1185-1690" by Oisín MacConamhna (hybrid).

March - "French Medallic Portraiture in a Century of Change, 1830-1930" - I think this was postponed due to the unavailability of the speaker.

April - "New Discoveries in 17th Century Irish Tokens" (hybrid); the speaker was Del Parker, US-based dealer.

May - Books and catalogues (hybrid) - A number of speakers spoke about coin books an old auction catalogues.   I missed this.

Usually, a few members travel to the BANS congresses - British Association of Numismatic Societies.   I've been to the last 5 (none since 2019, but they're back next year), which are an enjoyable weekend - I've been to Belfast, Colchester, Harrogate, Chatham and Douglas (Isle of Man).

Apart from that, we have small outings usually around Dublin - a couple of weeks ago, we got a tour of the the Bank Of Ireland building in College Green - the old Irish Parliament building until the Act Of Union in 1801.   If I weren't busy, I'd be at the launch party for the latest Irish commemorative coin tomorrow.

We have our meetings in the nice Ely House, just off St. Stephen's Green, 18th townhouse of the Earl of Ely and now owned by the Knighs of Columbanus.

Hercules at the foot of the stairs in Ely House.

IMG-20141017-WA0000.jpg.b37689e3341a219ad2fcc94df65bf81c.jpg

This is the Bank Of Ireland - https://curiousireland.ie/bank-of-ireland-college-green/

A photo' I took of a carronade at the bank - the bank had a militia and a couple of these facing Dame Street.   After firing, the gunners would spike their guns and beat a hasty retreat inside.   They were never used in anger, though the Irish Army guarded the building until the 1940s.

P7151767.JPG.e9a6120193b21fc7620a754beea8d6f1.JPG

A machine for sorting sovereigns intol underweight and full weight specimens at the bank.

P7151771.JPG.a0e43cd53f7aa8209e00cc4259242065.JPG

ATB,

Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses everyone. Great write up there akeady.

The meeting went well. I did OK with "Show and Tell". The members were mostly very interested in my cards.

I was auctioneer and ended up with an old taped up plastic tube BU roll of 1958 Jefferson Nickels for 5 bucks and a  1984 Jacques Cartier Proof or prooflike Canadian dollar in the green clamshell velvet case for 3 dollars. The nickel roll looks like there might be some dark ones from the side. Maybe some Black Beauties in there? 58 Phillies are a better date anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I don't know of any in-person ancient coin groups in NYC. Even if I did, I would be very unlikely ever to attend, knowing that I would be (1) one of the few people under 70, and, more importantly, (2) almost certainly the only woman. Which isn't an issue for me online, but would make me very uncomfortable in person.  It's bad enough at the NYINC every year.

At least in my experience, you are probably right about being the only woman. It's something that bothers me about my local coin club (although ONE woman was recruited to join in the past year, of about a dozen usual attendees). Also, it's 100% white. Almost exclusively old white guys, which I find an uncomfortable feeling (as a 40 something white male). That said, I do love going to an in-person group. BTW, I do think there is at least one rather "famous" (as much as coin clubs can be) and storied coin club in NYC. I know there are members on the other coin forums (I'm sure ones you'd recognize by usernames), so probably some hanging around here too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, akeady said:

I'm a member of the Numismatic Society of Ireland.   We have in-person meetings from September to May, which are very enjoyable and it's certainly well worth being a member of a society.

Since the Covid lockdowns started in 2020, we've operated over Zoom as well as in-person - all of the 2020/'21 season was virtual, as far as I recall.   Since some normality has returned, we've operated hybrid meetings, which have been a bit tricky to get right, we've had problems with lighting and sound, but at least members from outside Dublin and overseas have been able to attend.

The 2021/'22 season consisted of:

September: Show and tell (virtual) - normally, people bring along coins or other items they've acquired over the summer (or whenever) and talk about them and pass them around.

October: "Ireland's Miss Liberty" - about the model for the St Gaudens $10 gold eagle (Mary Cunningham). (hybrid, IIRC)

November - AGM & a talk (hybrid) on "The Politics of Ireland's Coinage 1926 - 2002" by Edward Colgan, author "For Want Of Good Money, the Story of Ireland's Coinage".

December - Annual auction (hybrid)

January - Display competition (virtual).   I won a nice medal in this competition some years ago with a display of Roman Republican coins - in fact, buying some representative Republican coins to show kickstarted my collection in this area.

February - Emil Szauer Memorial Lecture "Money of the Marchlands: the coinsges of Desmond c. 1185-1690" by Oisín MacConamhna (hybrid).

March - "French Medallic Portraiture in a Century of Change, 1830-1930" - I think this was postponed due to the unavailability of the speaker.

April - "New Discoveries in 17th Century Irish Tokens" (hybrid); the speaker was Del Parker, US-based dealer.

May - Books and catalogues (hybrid) - A number of speakers spoke about coin books an old auction catalogues.   I missed this.

Usually, a few members travel to the BANS congresses - British Association of Numismatic Societies.   I've been to the last 5 (none since 2019, but they're back next year), which are an enjoyable weekend - I've been to Belfast, Colchester, Harrogate, Chatham and Douglas (Isle of Man).

Apart from that, we have small outings usually around Dublin - a couple of weeks ago, we got a tour of the the Bank Of Ireland building in College Green - the old Irish Parliament building until the Act Of Union in 1801.   If I weren't busy, I'd be at the launch party for the latest Irish commemorative coin tomorrow.

We have our meetings in the nice Ely House, just off St. Stephen's Green, 18th townhouse of the Earl of Ely and now owned by the Knighs of Columbanus.

Hercules at the foot of the stairs in Ely House.

IMG-20141017-WA0000.jpg.b37689e3341a219ad2fcc94df65bf81c.jpg

This is the Bank Of Ireland - https://curiousireland.ie/bank-of-ireland-college-green/

A photo' I took of a carronade at the bank - the bank had a militia and a couple of these facing Dame Street.   After firing, the gunners would spike their guns and beat a hasty retreat inside.   They were never used in anger, though the Irish Army guarded the building until the 1940s.

P7151767.JPG.e9a6120193b21fc7620a754beea8d6f1.JPG

A machine for sorting sovereigns intol underweight and full weight specimens at the bank.

P7151771.JPG.a0e43cd53f7aa8209e00cc4259242065.JPG

ATB,

Aidan.

@akeady not coin or coin club related, but a picture I took in Dublin a few years ago. Wonderful city and country from what I saw. Didn’t know Saint Gaudins’ liberty was Irish. Sounds like you’ve got a great group.36362B91-19BC-4934-9803-F25C7F82E704.jpeg.6c69d203a065e96cca2fde8762dc245f.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks, Etcher - looks like the museum on Kildare Street - that and the Natural History museum closeby are good to pass an afternoon.   The coin collection was there at one time, but is now housed in the Collins Barracks branch of the museum, close to Heuston Station.

coincidentally, St. Gaudens himself was born in Dublin, but moved to the U.S. with his parents as a baby.

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 2