ЄN TɣTo NIKA

Valentinian

23 hours ago, Marcosx said:

In Greek τούτο is old school Greek for αυτό

It means - this - the translation is

(in this= victory)

Not that it matters I'm probably being nit picker. Nice coins by the way nice to see Constans II types get some appreciation.

Actually, isn't νικα an imperative verb (second person singular), giving the meaning "In this, win!", thus the Latin equivalent vinces. Interestingly, it isn't clear to me whether Constantine is supposed to have actually seen the words in Greek (ἐν τούτῳ νίκα) or whether Eusebius simply recorded them in Greek because he was writing in Greek. Most of us are more familiar familiar with the Latin version (in hoc signo vinces) but which came first, the chicken or the egg? 

Edited by DLTcoins

13 hours ago, DLTcoins said:

Actually, isn't νικα an imperative verb (second person singular), giving the meaning "In this, win!", thus the Latin equivalent vinces. Interestingly, it isn't clear to me whether Constantine is supposed to have actually seen the words in Greek (ἐν τούτῳ νίκα) or whether Eusebius simply recorded them in Greek because he was writing in Greek. Most of us are more familiar familiar with the Latin version (in hoc signo vinces) but which came first, the chicken or the egg? 

Yes, in the phrase ἐν τούτῳ νίκα, the verb is an imperative, so your translation is accurate. As far as the Latin version(s), "In hoc signo vinces" is, I suppose, the more well known one, but we also have "Hoc signo victor eris", "[In] this sign you will be the conqueror". it appears on this Siscia bronze of Constantius II (RIC 286).

31036(2).jpg.59379db065cc6031093bd6ae3c7547e0.jpg

• Like 1