Celtic 1/4 Stater Fetches $24,720.00 at Spinks

Al Kowsky

7 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

I think it must be the most expensive British Celtic quarter stater.

John, You're probably right 😉. I know there are some serious collectors of Celtic coins on this website, & I'm surprised no one has posted a 1/4 stater Celtic coin from Britain 🤔. Celtic coins from Britain are the most studied & well documented of all Celtic coins. I don't like very small Celtic gold coins & will probably never buy one, but I do have two gold staters.

• Thanks 1

I do have a British gold stater struck in the same period as the Esunertos 1/4 stater, pictured below.

CELTIC, Atrebates & Regni. Commius. 50-25 BC. AV Stater: 5.42 gm, 17 mm, 7 h. Commios Muzzles (Atrebatic C) type. Southern Mint. Obverse: Devolved head of Apollo with two " hidden face" motifs. Reverse: Leaping Celtic horse facing right; remains of charioteer's arm above, four spoked wheel below. Van Ardell 350-1; ABC 1022. Ex Chris Rudd FPL 137, #11, September 2011; Ex Chris Rudd FPL 89, #19, September 2006.

ChrisRuddVA350.jpg.e0599f529dfa719cec511d5ecbf19128.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

I'm surprised no one has posted a 1/4 stater Celtic coin from Britain

Here goes. No excuse. I'd been staying in Silchester on the way back from fishing and was waiting for the Greek section to come up, and blew my budget here instead.  There's a pub there (quite good) called the Calleva Arms, but its products were not responsible for this.

Silchester = Calleva Atrebatum.

Atrebates. Tincomarus AV 1/4 Stater. Calleva, circa 25 BC-7 AD. 'Medusa' type. TINC on rectangular tablet; C above, A below / Winged head of Medusa facing, a pair of snakes knotted below the chin, two large snakes descending on either side of the face.

11517-2-1-1_orig.jpg.d78b5c713584444d3182f21be35647fb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Here goes. No excuse. I'd been staying in Silchester on the way back from fishing and was waiting for the Greek section to come up, and blew my budget here instead.  There's a pub there (quite good) called the Calleva Arms, but its products were not responsible for this.

Atrebates. Tincomarus AV 1/4 Stater. Calleva, circa 25 BC-7 AD. 'Medusa' type. TINC on rectangular tablet; C above, A below / Winged head of Medusa facing, a pair of snakes knotted below the chin, two large snakes descending on either side of the face.

Deinomenid, That coin is simply gorgeous & engraved by a Celtic master 😮!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

That's quite a coin to buy when you didn't mean to 🤣

The bust on my Tincomarus was engraved by a lesser mortal...

Tincomarus Unit, 25BC-10
image.png.7d49928e8344b671fd391bd7fac22a13.png
Atrebates tribe. Silver, 13mm, 1.30g. Diademed head left; TINCOMARVS around, beaded border. Curvy horse left, beaded mane, lyre and two rings above (S 90). Found Fareham, Hampshire.

This one's pretty simplistic too 😂

Tincomarus Comet Unit, 25BC-10
image.png.c2ee0a58c2dcb2bced88692961fe3a4b.png
Atrebates tribe. Silver, 12mm, 0.91g. Star comprising of six radiate arms with central pellet. Boy on dolphin right; TINC above (ABC 1127).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

That's quite a coin to buy when you didn't mean to 

It was more that I'd tried to resist, but I'd read "all" the literature online I could (having  first  been attracted to the Eye types) and then staying in Silchester was Fates-driven and it is known  not to resist them, plus it would  have been churlish not to...but the rest of my year was spent in penury. No regrets,  it is a prize coin for me.   

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 1