Domitian Started the Fire!

Posted (edited)

I like the altar with flame pulvinar type that Domitian struck as Caesar under Titus and later in his own right as Augustus. Titus never issued it for himself. And, I was pleased as punch to have recently acquire this rare variety of the type!

D45.jpg.f41bec48211e81306b2848cd4ce09f7e.jpg
Domitian
AR Denarius, 3.42g
Rome mint, 81 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DIVI VESP F DOMITIAN AVG P M; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P; Altar, garlanded and lighted
RIC 45 (R2). BMC 23 note. RSC 579 corr. BNC -.
Ex A. Short Collection. Ex Harlan J Berk BBS 226, 16 February 2024, lot 415. Ex Curtis Clay Collection, acquired from Monk, CICF March 1996.

An extremely rare obverse legend variant, cited by Mattingly (BMC 23 note) referencing Cohen 579 (with portrait left and misread lacking 'P M'). Double die match with the RIC plate coin from Oxford. The altar depicted on the reverse possibly refers to the pulvinar of Vulcan and Vesta.

In hand.

Thank you for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 15

• David Atherton changed the title to Domitian Started the Fire!
Posted · Supporter

Lovely example of a hard to find issue. I had a Titus under Vespasian pulvinar issue. The coin is no longer mine.

TITUS (79-81). Denarius. Rome.

Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M.
Laureate head right.
Rev: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P.
Pulvinar (throne) of Jupiter and Juno: square seat, draped, with tassels, with triangular frame, on which are eight corn ears and one palmette.

RIC² 124. Weight: 3.13 g. Diameter: 17 mm.

4641903_1696266386.l.jpg.c5a7f81fadc850f2bbadfc5bcebb5668.jpg

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

Nice one! 

I bought this one back in 2020 from Incitatus coins when I got into ancients. I need to take a better picture though. 

normal_Dom.jpg.97faa318f14bc0da7783e02690089864.jpg
DOMITIAN, as Caesar under Titus, AR Denarius. 80 AD. Obv: CAEASAR DIVI F DOMITIANVS COS VII, laureate head right. Rev: PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS, lighted, garlanded altar, with corn ears on both sides atop altar. RIC 46 

• Like 10
  • Clap 1