New Camera - First Photo

maridvnvm

I have been a keen amateur photographer for more than 40 years but in recent times my focus has been on improving my coin photography. I have been using the same setup for coin photography for many years now using a Canon Eos 400D (Digital Rebel XTi in North America) combined with a Canon 60mm Macro lens. I had reached a point where I was getting reasonably consistent results that I was happy with.

My camera dates back to 2006 and has recently started getting a little temperamental. My lens is still perfect and thus I have simply invested in a new body, this time a Canon Eos 250D (Rebel SL3). Technology has certainly moved on and I have only had a very small time to play. I can see straight away that I will enjoy the new systems for general photography but was keen to see what results I could get with my coin photography. I have only take one photograph so far and even then only the obverse of one coin that is in my "inBox" waiting for processing after purchase. This is not a pretty coin, has partial silvering, surface adhesions, some corrosion etc. but is still a decent challenge to photograph. 

I have simply taken the old camera off the tripod, swapped lenses, set the custom white balance on the new camera to adjust to the lighting setup, set the camera in to Manual and set the shutter speed and Aperture to the settings I had on the previous camera (based on historic meter readings).  I capture all my images in RAW (CR3). I have then converted this one to jpg. I now keep the full size jpg but typically reduce my images to 40% of original for use online.

This is the 40% reduced result. There is a speck of something white (paper) behind the ear, which I will remove later when I take the image again. image.jpeg.89bd9a04854c1c6b26866e5723f30046.jpeg

Here is a cropped image of the head without any size reduction.

image.jpeg.8d369612db4cc3902799716498590afe.jpeg

I need to do some more playing and experimentation but I think I am going to be quite happy with this new setup for a few years.

Martin

• Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 5

Here is my second attempt. Another tricky coin. Almost fully silvered where some silvering has toned to a golden hue.

Reduced to 40% full size

RI131aimg.jpg.b78b1f1c42d7a23ddfe6c13c497cf49f.jpg

Cropped section of reverse at full size

RI131arev-Crop.jpg.81d8ef1b1c2aadc06bf21b18469dbf41.jpg

• Like 9

Here is more detail on my setup.

Everything is arranged around a light tent. I have a single light source, a single daylight 100W bulb.

The camera is set on a tripod, pointing down through the flap in the light tent.

Inside I have created a simple mechanism to allow me to simply adjust my setup based on the size of coin that I am photographing. This is based around a lazy Susan bearing on which I have a disc of MDF. I have covered this MDF in black velvet. Into this MDF I have mounted four different length dowels, painted black, each with a small pad on the top. These dowels can now be rotated (by turning the MDF disc) to provide me something at the correct height to fill as much of the frame as I would like. I have the lazy Susan on top of a range of books of various thinckness to allow me to fine tune the entire setup for some coins (much larger or much smaller) without having to touch the camera.

Setup.jpg.9850cabb00838f92932fbe50ab78de52.jpg

This tent is in a room that I can keep quite dark to avoid other light sources from influencing the photo.

I use a grey photography card to set custom light balance to this setup.

I am aiming for a reasonable depth of field and this have my aperture set to F13, which does mean that at ISO 100, I have a 4s exposure time.

Attach a remote release and I am good to go.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1