eBay seller from Greece.. bought ancient.. will I have issues?

AETHER

Posted (edited)

I ordered an ANCIENT coin from ebay, realized today the seller is from Greece, the sellers has VAUCTIONS slip dating back to 2011, the coin/auction  is online from the lot, is there going to be an issue with customs?  I have never ordered from Greece.  I I dont know the laws even if seller has proof the coin was purchased from a VAUCTION's auction. 

Im in USA btw.

How literal are the restrictions to greece? The coin is of Lysimachos. minted in Lampsakos.

Edited by AETHER
  • Like 1
  • Cool Think 1

One of my collector friends (here in Canada) bought a Greek coin from a seller in Greece, the transaction went well and delivery took place without customs problems. On the other hand, two weeks later, he was kidnapped: he was found alive, but he was tortured by gouging out his eyes and cutting out his tongue. I therefore suggest extreme caution.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1
  • Cool Think 2
  • Mind blown 1

Posted · Supporter

I agree with @ominus1 don't fret about things you can't change as trying to meet trouble half way always invites it.

As the coin is in transit you are in the hands of Fortuna and she can be a fickle mistress.  Both you and the buyer are covered by Ebay so don't lose any sleep. 

If the guy is on VA he would soon have issues if he couldn't export coins as that is how he eats. HIs clientele are likely all outside of Greece. The recent ROMA issues have made people paranoid but at this level you would have 100 times more hassle if you tried to import militaria. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
On 5/18/2024 at 5:32 PM, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

he was tortured by gouging out his eyes and cutting out his tongue. 

Is he a former Byzantine emperor? 

• Like 5
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 2
  • Cool Think 1

57 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

I agree with @ominus1 don't fret about things you can't change as trying to meet trouble half way always invites it.

As the coin is in transit you are in the hands of Fortuna and she can be a fickle mistress.  Both you and the buyer are covered by Ebay so don't lose any sleep. 

If the guy is on VA he would soon have issues if he couldn't export coins as that is how he eats. HIs clientele are likely all outside of Greece. The recent ROMA issues have made people paranoid but at this level you would have 100 times more hassle if you tried to import militaria. 

The coin is not in transit yet, he will ship Friday. I just want to go the extra mile for him. He reached out and asked if I ever had issues with customs, so that was a red flag and sent down a rabbit hole. I would really like to avoid the guy going to jail or something. Im.sure he is aware of what he is doing, but something is not sitting right. Thanks.

Dont worry, as  Ocatarinetabellatchitchix mentioned you and the seller may be tortured severely,  using the suvlaki method.

If it is sent as a private registered letter without content details by the seller it will 100% arrive there and to your hands, the customs check cant open all the envelopes - especially the small sized.

The seller will have problems if he writes or speaks too much or pretends he is a professional seller under the greek law (paperwork and state permissions needed for anything before 1835 ad).The buyer will have no problem generally, the lack of brain is not your responsibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...