New book -- Moneta: A History of Ancient Rome in Twelve Coins by Gareth Harney

• 3 weeks later...
Posted · Supporter

I am curious to see if have any of these coins in my own collection and to learn how they were selected. Sadly I already know that I don't have the cover coin!

What an interesting concept.

Posted (edited)

If I had to tell the story of the Roman Empire (I don't know enough about Republican coinage). Here's 13 I would pick.

Caesar Portrait Coin - The transition from Republic to Empire 

EID MAR - The Republicans strike back

Augustus: DIVUS IVLIVS comet - Augustus' ambition and the end of Republic for good

Augustus: Actium reverse  - Augustus wins the Empire and consolidates

Vespasian: Judaea Capta - End of the Julio-Claudians and arrival of the Flavians, destruction of the Temple has huge ramifications for Judaism and the nascent Christianity 

Antoninus Pius: Marcus Aurelius reverse - Adoptive emperors

Caracalla: Antoninianus - Inflation is bad partly due to the Severans throwing money at the military,  and Caracalla invents a new coin to try and hide it, also everyone is a citizen now?

Elagabalus: Stone of Emesa - Religious ideas from the East, Roman culture being syncretised with others.

Trajan Decius: Divi Series - Crisis of the third century, Decius attempts to ameliorate by appealing to tradition and persecuting Christians. 

Aurelian: Restitutor Orbis - Aurelian restores the world

Diocletian: Tetrarchs Sacrificing - Diocletian has a cool new system of government that brings some stability

Constantine:  Eyes to Heaven DAFNE - Constanine is Christian, and the Empire is heading that way. 

Julian the Apostate: Bull - Paganisms last stand

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 11

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 4:08 PM, Steppenfool said:

If I had to tell the story of the Roman Empire (I don't know enough about Republican coinage). Here's 13 I would pick.

Caesar Portrait Coin - The transition from Republic to Empire 

EID MAR - The Republicans strike back

Augustus: DIVUS IVLIVS comet - Augustus' ambition and the end of Republic for good

Augustus: Actium reverse  - Augustus wins the Empire and consolidates

Vespasian: Judaea Capta - End of the Julio-Claudians and arrival of the Flavians, destruction of the Temple has huge ramifications for Judaism and the nascent Christianity 

Antoninus Pius: Marcus Aurelius reverse - Adoptive emperors

Caracalla: Antoninianus - Inflation is bad partly due to the Severans throwing money at the military,  and Caracalla invents a new coin to try and hide it, also everyone is a citizen now?

Elagabalus: Stone of Emesa - Religious ideas from the East, Roman culture being syncretised with others.

Trajan Decius: Divi Series - Crisis of the third century, Decius attempts to ameliorate by appealing to tradition and persecuting Christians. 

Aurelian: Restitutor Orbis - Aurelian restores the world

Diocletian: Tetrarchs Sacrificing - Diocletian has a cool new system of government that brings some stability

Constantine:  Eyes to Heaven DAFNE - Constanine is Christian, and the Empire is heading that way. 

Julian the Apostate: Bull - Paganisms last stand

I like your list and would add some of the following:

- Romulus and Remus for the significance of the founding myth as a recurring theme on coins

- Some architectural coin, maybe an AQUA MAR or one of the many under Trajan or a Colosseum/Ostia

- I'd specifically choose a DICT PERPETUO of Caesar

- Perhaps a coin of a Roman province or a coin from Hadrian's travel series to show the breadth of Roman rule

- A militaristic coin, Praetorian Guard/Ad Locutio/others

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 4