Need some answers about my denarius

MrZun

I have this denarius of Trajano, i like It alot. But a bit of his hair is a little bit brighter compared to the rest of the coin. What can this be? These photos are old, that spot got a Lot darker since, can this be damage? I know the coin has a Lot of dirt, but i like It that way, i really dont like It too much cleaned20240314_183213.jpg.846ba64e5e97862580b413425d4fae31.jpg20240314_183503.jpg.498d18d6e92e370c61578275a57bb6b5.jpg

Screenshot_20240503-231853.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Either the toned layer came off (when being cleaned) or that part was touching something else (like another coin) when the rest toned.

Interesting. About cleaning, It is strange since the other part of the coin dont have this. 🤔 If i tried to send It to NGC, would they mention this on the slab?

I can think of two scenarios:

a) the coin was cleaned and then the highest point, the hair was touching something that prevented air from getting to it so it did not oxidize like the rest of the coin

b) as the highest point, the hair, has rubbed against something exposing fresh silver which is brighter than the rest of the coin

I don't think either really matter as the coin will continue to tone, especially as you are touching it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Postvmvs said:

I can think of two scenarios:

a) the coin was cleaned and then the highest point, the hair was touching something that prevented air from getting to it so it did not oxidize like the rest of the coin

b) as the highest point, the hair, has rubbed against something exposing fresh silver which is brighter than the rest of the coin

I don't think either really matter as the coin will continue to tone, especially as you are touching it.

True, its a Lot darker now. My only concerns is If this can be considered damage

39 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

It would be an utter waste of money to slab that coin!

Not going to, i wanted to know How they would react with this coin

• Like 1

Nice-looking coin.  Back in the old days I used to run across the description "cabinet friction" - I think that meant there was wear or "shiny areas" on the high points from being in a collector's cabinet with narrow drawers.  As @Postvmvs says: 

2 hours ago, Postvmvs said:

• Like 3