Help please

Hello @Amanda. It may be an English silver penny, from the reign of Henry III. If it's Henry III, then I'm going to guess, that a Vcoins dealer would sell it for approximately $100. The condition and appearance seem to be below average, for this coin type. A dealer may pay you $50 for the coin.

This is an educated guess. It's possible, that it is some other King Of England, or maybe from a different European country. Someone at Nvmis Forvms probably knows.

Here is a Vcoins search, for the following keywords :    "Henry iii" England

https://www.vcoins.com/en/Search.aspx?search=true&searchQuery="Henry+iii"+England&searchQueryExclude=&searchCategory=0&searchCategoryLevel=2&searchCategoryAncient=True&searchCategoryUs=True&searchCategoryWorld=True&searchCategoryMints=True&searchBetween=0&searchBetweenAnd=0&searchDate=&searchUseThesaurus=True&searchDisplayCurrency=&searchDisplay=1&searchIdStore=0&searchQueryAnyWords=&searchExactPhrase=&searchTitleAndDescription=True&searchDateType=0&searchMaxRecords=100&SearchOnSale=False&Unassigned=False

Here is an MA-Shops search, for the following keywords :    "Henry iii" England

https://www.ma-shops.com/shops/search.php?searchstr="Henry+iii"+England&catid=0&submitBtn=Search&days_new=   

Edited by sand
  • Yes 1

Brilliant, @John Conduitt.  When it come to classes of earlier Angevin pennies, I still suffer from the equivalent of math anxiety.  Have to admire the Brits who are so fluent in this (yes, I've known a couple of them). 

But more broadly, for Henry III short crosses, at the end of what amounts to an immobilization of Henry II ones from 1180, the style of the portrait makes the reign a relatively easy summary guess.  In effect, ones this late are noticeably cruder than any of the preceding reigns.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Brilliant, @John Conduitt.  When it come to classes of earlier Angevin pennies, I still suffer from the equivalent of math anxiety.  Have to admire the Brits who are so fluent in this (yes, I've known a couple of them). 

But more broadly, for Henry III short crosses, at the end of what amounts to an immobilization of Henry II ones from 1180, the style of the portrait makes the reign a relatively easy summary guess.  In effect, ones this late are noticeably cruder than any of the preceding reigns.

To be fair, there were quite a few points where the coins were crude and badly made. It was a constant cycle of debasement/war/weak strike/terrible engraving followed by someone realising the coinage needed sorting out.

Decline: William I - William II - Stephen - Henry II (the Tealby is dreadful).
New better coinage: Henry II short cross.
Decline: Henry II - Richard I - John.
New better coinage: John Class 5.
Decline: John - Henry III.
New better coinage: Henry III long cross.
Decline: Henry III - posthumous Henry III.
New better coinage: Edward I.
Decline: Edward I - Edward II - Edward III.
New better coinage: Edward III.
Decline: Richard II - Henry IV - Henry V.
New better coinage: Henry VI.
Decline: Henry VI.
New better coinage: Edward IV.
Decline: Henry VI - Edward IV - Edward V - Richard III.
New better coinage: Henry VII.
Decline: Henry VII - Henry VIII - Edward VI - Mary.
New better coinage: Elizabeth I.

...and so on until George III's Great Recoinage in 1816.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

All resonantly true!!!  (Edit:) I was only talking about the Henry III short crosses.  But you're right, as usual; the stylistic decline really does accelerate with Richard.  ...You can at least blame that interval on his ongoing obsession with the French parts of the 'Angevin Empire.'  I get the impression that he just didn't care for England all that much.

Edited by JeandAcre