Help please

Hello @Amanda. I sympathize with your efforts to identify the coins, in your deceased father's collection. I also sympathize with your efforts, to assess the value of his coins. Even though you haven't asked about the value of this particular coin, I've noticed that you have asked about the value of other coins, and there is nothing wrong with asking that.

In the future, for each new thread, I recommend creating a more descriptive title for the thread. For example, for this coin, I recommend a thread title such as "Coin With Head On 1 Side, Person Above Animals On Other Side". Or something like that. Anything, to try to help people, to tell the threads apart.

Regarding your coin, your coin is similar to 1 of my coins. Here are the seller photos of my coin. To give you an idea of the value, I paid $100 plus $7 shipping for my coin, in late 2020. The value of my coin, has probably increased a little bit since then, because of inflation, and because some ancient coins, especially the more valuable coins, have increased in value because of the pandemic and other factors. Also, I think I got a pretty good deal, when I bought my coin. I'm thinking, that my coin would probably sell for something like $150 nowadays. The value depends on various factors : supply, demand, historical importance, how interesting the coin is, the condition of the coin, and (very importantly) how nice the coin looks (style, strike, condition, and tone/patina). Your coin's condition and how nice it looks, seem to be lower, than my coin. Your coin is more worn than my coin. And, my coin has a nice tone on it. And, your coin has "graffito" to the right of the head, which means that someone deliberately scratched something on the coin. For your coin, the graffito looks like 3 lines, which form a shining star. Why did someone carve that? And when? Was it carved in ancient times? Or was it carved in modern times? I have no idea. Unfortunately, usually graffito, on ancient coins, decreases the value of the coin, because it usually lowers the coin's appearance, unless the graffito can be proven to be ancient and interesting. Because of the condition/wear, graffito, and overall appearance of your coin, I'm going to guess, that a dealer would sell your coin for approximately $100. However, if you were to sell your coin to a dealer, you would probably receive much less, perhaps $50, because a dealer must buy low and sell high to make a profit, and to cover the costs of advertising, and running his/her business. If you were to sell your coin on Ebay, or if you were to sell your coin here on Nvmis Forvms in "The Cabinet" area, then you may be able to get a bit more for the coin, perhaps even $100, but it may take awhile, perhaps months or years, before someone decides to buy it. Or, you could try to consign your coin to a low end auction house, such as Tiber Numismatics, in which case it may auction for $100, but it could auction for much less. That's the risk of auctioning a coin. A high end auction house, on the other hand, such as CNG, would probably not auction your coin, because it's value is relatively low, for an ancient coin. That's just my educated guess. I'm not an expert.

image.jpeg.2cdd9ea610f514fd52090a9edb3ad9da.jpeg

L. Flaminius Cilo AR Denarius. 109 BC To 108 BC. Rome Mint. Sear 179. Crawford 302/1. 20 mm. 3.51 grams. Obverse Roma. Reverse Victory Driving Biga With "L FLAMINI" Below.

1 way, to get an idea of value, is to search Vcoins. Vcoins is a marketplace for ancient coins, medieval coins, and modern coins. In many ways, Vcoins is way better than Ebay, for buying ancient coins and medieval coins. Especially for new collectors. Because Vcoins monitors the coins, to minimize the number of fake coins sold. Ebay, on the other hand, doesn't care at all, about people selling fake coins, therefore there are many fakes sold on Ebay. However, there are some reputable dealers on Ebay. If I search Vcoins for the keywords "Flaminius Cilo" (without the quotation marks), I get the following search results.

Here is a link to Vcoins :   https://www.vcoins.com/en/Default.aspx 

And here is the search for "Flaminius Cilo" :

https://www.vcoins.com/en/Search.aspx?search=true&searchQuery=Flaminius+Cilo&searchQueryExclude=&searchCategory=0&searchCategoryLevel=2&searchCategoryAncient=True&searchCategoryUs=True&searchCategoryWorld=True&searchCategoryMints=True&searchBetween=0&searchBetweenAnd=0&searchDate=&searchUseThesaurus=True&searchDisplayCurrency=&searchDisplay=1&searchIdStore=0&searchQueryAnyWords=&searchExactPhrase=&searchTitleAndDescription=True&searchDateType=0&searchMaxRecords=100&SearchOnSale=False&Unassigned=False

image.png.c5093e2b1ea44c4d85908ed79328dd59.png

You can see, that there is a wide variation, in the prices of these coins, from 75 euros ($80) to 390 euros ($417).  Note that the cheapest coin, the 75 euros ($80) coin, is "reserved", meaning that someone has promised to buy the coin, but has not yet paid for it. Why the wide variation in prices? Partly, it's because some of the coins look better, than the other coins. And partly because, some of the coins are better deals. The 75 euros ($80) coin actually looks pretty good, therefore I don't know why it's so cheap. The 129 euros ($138) coin in the upper left, doesn't look as nice as the other coins, therefore it makes sense that it would have a lower price.

Another good place, to search for coins, to get an idea of value, is MA-Shops.

Here is a link to MA-Shops :    https://www.ma-shops.com/ 

If I search MA-Shops for "Flaminius Cilo" (without the quotation marks), I get the following results :

image.png.387b1eb19f856ea4b8c6bcf40e95f200.png

Again, we see a wide range of prices. Some coins look nicer. And, some of the coins are simply a better deal.

Oh well. I hope, that this is helpful to you, in your quest.

Edited by sand
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

19 minutes ago, sand said:

Hello @Amanda. I sympathize with your efforts to identify the coins, in your deceased father's collection. I also sympathize with your efforts, to assess the value of his coins. Even though you haven't asked about the value of this coin, I noticed that you have asked about the value of other coins, and there is nothing wrong with asking that.

In the future, for each new thread, I recommend creating a more descriptive title for the thread. For example, for this coin, I recommend a thread title such as "Coin With Head On 1 Side, Person Above Animals On Other Side". Or something like that. Anything, to try to help people, to tell the threads apart.

Regarding your coin, your coin is similar to 1 of my coins. Here are the seller photos of my coin. To give you an idea of the value, I paid $100 plus $7 shipping for my coin, in late 2020. The value of my coin, has probably increased a little bit since then, because of inflation, and because some ancient coins, especially the more valuable coins, have increased in value because of the pandemic and other factors. Also, I think I got a pretty good deal, when I bought my coin. I'm thinking, that my coin would probably sell for something like $150 nowadays. The value depends on various factors : supply, demand, historical importance, how interesting the coin is, the condition of the coin, and (very importantly) how nice the coin looks (style, strike, condition, and tone/patina). Your coin's condition and how nice it looks, seem to be lower, than my coin. Your coin is more worn than my coin. And, my coin has a nice tone on it. And, your coin has "graffito" to the right of the head, which means that someone deliberately scratched something on the coin. For your coin, the graffito looks like 3 lines, which form a shining star. Why did someone carve that? And when? Was it carved in ancient times? Or was it carved in modern times? I have no idea. Unfortunately, usually graffito, on ancient coins, decreases the value of the coin, because it usually lowers the coin's appearance, unless the graffito can be proven to be ancient and interesting. Because of the condition/wear, graffito, and overall appearance of your coin, I'm going to guess, that a dealer would sell your coin for approximately $100. However, if you were to sell your coin to a dealer, you would probably receive much less, perhaps $50, because a dealer must buy low and sell high to make a profit, and to cover the costs of advertising, and running his/her business. If you were to sell your coin on Ebay, or if you were to sell your coin here on Nvmis Forvms in "The Cabinet" area, then you may be able to get a bit more for the coin, perhaps even $100, but it may take awhile, perhaps months or years, before someone decides to buy it. Or, you could try to consign your coin to a low end auction house, such as Tiber Numismatics, in which case it may auction for $100, but it could auction for much less. That's the risk of auctioning a coin. A high end auction house, on the other hand, such as CNG, would probably not auction your coin, because it's value is relatively low, for an ancient coin. That's just my educated guess. I'm not an expert.

image.jpeg.2cdd9ea610f514fd52090a9edb3ad9da.jpeg

L. Flaminius Cilo AR Denarius. 109 BC To 108 BC. Rome Mint. Sear 179. Crawford 302/1. 20 mm. 3.51 grams. Obverse Roma. Reverse Victory Driving Biga With "L FLAMINI" Below.

1 way, to get an idea of value, is to search Vcoins. Vcoins is a marketplace for ancient coins, medieval coins, and modern coins. In many ways, Vcoins is way better than Ebay, for buying ancient coins and medieval coins. Especially for new collectors. Because Vcoins monitors the coins, to minimize the number of fake coins sold. Ebay, on the other hand, doesn't care at all, about people selling fake coins, therefore there are many fakes sold on Ebay. However, there are some reputable dealers on Ebay. If I search Vcoins for the keywords "Flaminius Cilo" (without the quotation marks), I get the following search results.

Here is a link to Vcoins :   https://www.vcoins.com/en/Default.aspx 

And here is the search for "Flaminius Cilo" :

https://www.vcoins.com/en/Search.aspx?search=true&searchQuery=Flaminius+Cilo&searchQueryExclude=&searchCategory=0&searchCategoryLevel=2&searchCategoryAncient=True&searchCategoryUs=True&searchCategoryWorld=True&searchCategoryMints=True&searchBetween=0&searchBetweenAnd=0&searchDate=&searchUseThesaurus=True&searchDisplayCurrency=&searchDisplay=1&searchIdStore=0&searchQueryAnyWords=&searchExactPhrase=&searchTitleAndDescription=True&searchDateType=0&searchMaxRecords=100&SearchOnSale=False&Unassigned=False

image.png.c5093e2b1ea44c4d85908ed79328dd59.png

You can see, that there is a wide variation, in the prices of these coins, from 75 euros ($80) to 390 euros ($417).  Note that the cheapest coin, the 75 euros ($80) coin, is "reserved", meaning that someone has promised to buy the coin, but has not yet paid for it. Why the wide variation in prices? Partly, it's because some of the coins look better, than the other coins. And partly because, some of the coins are better deals. The 75 euros ($80) coin actually looks pretty good, therefore I don't know why it's so cheap. The 129 euros ($138) coin in the upper left, doesn't look as nice as the other coins, therefore it makes sense that it would have a lower price.

Another good place, to search for coins, to get an idea of value, is MA-Shops.

Here is a link to MA-Shops :    https://www.ma-shops.com/ 

If I search MA-Shops for "Flaminius Cilo" (without the quotation marks), I get the following results :

image.png.387b1eb19f856ea4b8c6bcf40e95f200.png

Again, we see a wide range of prices. Some coins look nicer. And, some of the coins are simply a better deal.

Oh well. I hope, that this is helpful to you, in your quest.

Thank you so much for all of the information and links I really appreciate you taking the time to help x

• Like 2

Much more anecdotally, @Amanda, and to @sand's point about the graffito, I have to really like the banker's marks (Delta /triangle, upside-down 'V') on yours.  Other people here will know much more than I do about the context, but broadly, they were marks individual bankers (or merchants?) would make on the coin to confirm its genuineness.

...Gotta say, no offense, but I for one sure hope you hang onto these.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Much more anecdotally, @Amanda, and to @sand's point about the graffito, I have to really like the banker's marks (Delta /triangle, upside-down 'V') on yours.  Other people here will know much more than I do about the context, but broadly, they were marks individual bankers (or merchants?) would make on the coin to confirm its genuineness.

...Gotta say, no offense, but I for one sure hope you hang onto these.

Yes. I see 2 "banker's marks" on the coin. To be precise, on the obverse, on Roma's jaw, there is a triangle stamped there. On the reverse, on the rear of a horse, there is an upside down "V" stamped there. Do the banker's marks add value, for a collector? I don't know. It probably depends, on where the banker's marks are, whether the banker's marks detract from the appearance of the coin, and how interesting the banker's marks are. For me, banker's marks are interesting.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

...Well, not that Roman Republic is anything I collect every day, I have to relate to them along the lines of Viking 'peck marks.'  As long as the motifs aren't really Marred (got one of those, on an AEthelred penny), they're of subjective, as such substantive value for adding an entire dimension of historical association to the coin.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1