Unusual Furniture

Sulla80

Some of my favorite ancient coins depict objects that I would not have heard of if they hadn't appeared on a coin of interested. Today I turned my attention to a coin from Perge, Pamphylia, that features an iron box or "arca ferrata" (a Roman safe).

image.png.c97fc130f447500a92fbc5d83cb4d9f0.png

My notes on this can be found here: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/arca-ferrata

Post your coins with unusual ancient objects on them or anything else you find interesting or entertaining.

• Like 13

• Benefactor

Cool coin!

I don't have much in terms of ancient furniture, unless I include what I have in the house, but here is one example with interesting objects, six prize urns.

Catalogue Image

Valerian I Æ 30mm of Anazarbus, Cilicia. Dated CY 272 = AD 253/4. AVT K Π ΛIK OVAΛЄPIANOC CЄ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / ANAZAPBOV MHTPOΠ, six prize urns, the middle one in upper row containing palm branch; Γ-Γ across upper fields, ET BOC (date) across central field, A M K T in exergue. RPC X Online Unassigned ID 60270 (this coin cited); Ziegler 834; BMC 43; SNG Levante 1520; SNG BnF -. 17.85g, 30mm, 1h.

Very Fine.

This coin published at Roman Provincial Coinage Online (rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk);
Ex Roma Numismatics Ltd., E-Sale 93, 6 January 2022, lot 832;
Ex Roma Numismatics Ltd., E-Sale 76, 5 November 2020, lot 825.

• Like 8

Here's Nike sittin' on a cippus...

Terina, Bruttium

circa 300 BC
AR Drachm (16mm, 2.21g)
O: Head of nymph Terina left; triskeles behind, TEPINAIΩN left.
R: Winged Nike seated left on cippus, holding bird in extended right hand; star to left.
Holloway & Jenkins 111; HN Italy 2642
ex Bertolami Fine Arts

15421707223711696637472-1-1~2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

prize urns. cippus, and oomphalos - definitely fit in the right category: objects from ancient rome...stuff I wouldn't have ever heard of if it weren't on my coins....in the furniture category: here's a less obscure currule chair on a Roman republican coin of L Lollius Palikanus with Honos on the obverse circa 45 BC:

PalikanusHonoriusdenarius.jpg.6d35f2415df19b429892ee3f7e6e12c7.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for your notes on the arca ferrata @Sulla80!  I've always wondered what this chest was used for.  Here's mine from Phillip II.

perga.jpg.515e62c56badbfcf34000dca9949fa5c.jpg

A couch or lectistern.

Philipalex.jpg.d47cf35a0b0c6433a01606c166a6f0fd.jpg

Alexandria. Philip I. Tyche reclining left on lectistern. 3rd regnal year. Emmett 3515, Milne 3608-10

Some interesting follow-up notes from Tom Barbeau on September 26, 2006 with a re-attribution of the reverse scene from Emmett's description of Tyche reclining on ship with rudder: "The couch apparently may be referred to as lectistern. The gods were invited to a feast of reconciliation at times of upheaval and calamity. The feast was called a lectisternium."

It amazes me how similar the furniture found at Herculaneum is to a modern style.

post-1_image0-41.webp.aaff6f597cf1739d96ae17e5a70bc550.webp

image123.jpg.641ae0f4cff48ce3ceac353aef7db6a4.jpg

image124.jpg.f8a0f70b63d30f0bfe533bd7c52e56fd.jpg

Edited by AncientOne
  • Like 8

• Benefactor

Great thread.

It's not furniture, but here's an unusual (and rather odd-looking) object that hasn't appeared in this thread yet: an apex.

Roman Republic, L. Valerius Flaccus, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, 108-107 BCE. Obv. Winged and draped bust of Victory right, wearing single-drop earring and necklace, with hair collected into a knot behind her head; below chin, * (= XVI monogram as mark of value) / Rev. Mars standing left, helmeted and with chlamys tied around his waist, holding transverse spear in right hand with point downwards, and trophy over shoulder in left hand; before him, an apex (flamen’s conical white cap with spindle on top [see fn.]); behind him, an ear of corn; in left field in two lines downwards, L•VALERI | FLACCI. 20 mm., 3.79 g. Crawford 306/1 (Vol. I p. 316); RSC I (Babelon) Valeria 11 (pp. 93-94, ill p. 93) [see also Babelon Vol. II p. 511 (1885 ed.)]; Sear RCV I 183 (ill. p. 107); BMCRR II Italy 647 (p. 309) (ill. Vol. III Pl. xcv.12); Yarrow pp. 141-142 (ill. p. 141, Fig. 3.38) [Liv Mariah Yarrow, The Roman Republic to 49 BCE: Using Coins as Sources (2021)]; RBW Collection 1147 (ill. p. 237); Sydenham 565; Albert 1098 (ill. p. 154) ) [Albert, Rainer, Die Münzen der Römischen Republik (2011)]; RBW Collection 1176 (ill. p. 243).* Purchased 23 Dec. 2023 from Münzenhandlung Dirk Löbbers, Wettringen, Germany; ex Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH & Co. KG, Osnabruck, Germany, Auction 80, 5 Dec. 2023, Lot 1088 (with old coin envelope, pre-1974).**

ValeriusFlaccusMarsCrawford306-1DirkLobbers.jpg.2062a241bf005776b423ca1e8849f418.jpg

*Crawford states (Vol. I p. 316) that the moneyer “is presumably L. Valerius Flaccus, Cos. 100. The figure of Mars and the apex together recall the fact that the moneyer’s father, Cos. 131, held the office of Flamen Martialis” (priest of Mars), an office that this moneyer had probably not yet held at the time of this issue according to Crawford (but see the quotation from Yarrow below), but did hold later on. Id.

For a further description of the apex depicted on the reverse of this type, as worn by Roman priests such as the Flamen Martialis, see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Apex  : “The apex was a leather skull-cap worn by Flamen (Roman priests), with a chin-strap and a point of olive wood on its top, like a spindle, with a little fluff of wool at the base of the spindle”) (a definition based [see id.] on the entry for “Apex” in S.W. Stevenson’s A Dictionary of Roman Coins (1889), which notes, inter alia, that the apex “somewhat resemble[ed] a  bishop's mitre, for which its form probably, after ages, furnished a pattern.  On the top was a pointed piece of wood, the base of which was surrounded by a little woollen tuft. Two fillaments of the same material, hanging from the bottom of it, served to fasten it under the chin. The derivation of this word is not satisfactorily explained by learned writers. But its sometimes round -- sometimes conical shape -- and the pointed tassel on the top (Apex) most probably gave the name to the cap itself. It seems to have been first used by the Salian priests, and was afterwards worn by the Pontifex Maximus and the Flamines generally. . . . The Apex is found on a denarius of the Quinctia gens, as indicating the connection of Quinctius Flaminius with the priesthood of Jupiter. As a symbol of Valerius Flaccus [the father of the Crawford 306 moneyer] being a Salian, or priest of Mars [Flamen Martialis], it appears on a coin of the Valeria gens." As explained in John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London, 1990) (entry for “Flamen” at p. 117), the term “Flamen” is derived from “flare, ‘to blow’, a word which originally meant one who kindled a sacred fire. The word became the name of a class of priest of very high status at Rome. There were fifteen flamines, three major and twelve minor, who were in charge of the worship of various gods; for instance, the flamen Dialis was the high priest of Jupiter (Diespiter), the flamen Martialis of Mars. . . . The flamines were distinguished by a white conical hat, crowned by a twig of olive wood and a woollen thread. The decoration at the top was called the apex, a word which later came to be used for the whole hat.” [Remainder of footnote omitted.]

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Great thread.

It's not furniture, but here's an unusual (and rather odd-looking) object that hasn't appeared in this thread yet: an apex.

Roman Republic, L. Valerius Flaccus, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, 108-107 BCE. Obv. Winged and draped bust of Victory right, wearing single-drop earring and necklace, with hair collected into a knot behind her head; below chin, * (= XVI monogram as mark of value) / Rev. Mars standing left, helmeted and with chlamys tied around his waist, holding transverse spear in right hand with point downwards, and trophy over shoulder in left hand; before him, an apex (flamen’s conical white cap with spindle on top [see fn.]); behind him, an ear of corn; in left field in two lines downwards, L•VALERI | FLACCI. 20 mm., 3.79 g. Crawford 306/1 (Vol. I p. 316); RSC I (Babelon) Valeria 11 (pp. 93-94, ill p. 93) [see also Babelon Vol. II p. 511 (1885 ed.)]; Sear RCV I 183 (ill. p. 107); BMCRR II Italy 647 (p. 309) (ill. Vol. III Pl. xcv.12); Yarrow pp. 141-142 (ill. p. 141, Fig. 3.38) [Liv Mariah Yarrow, The Roman Republic to 49 BCE: Using Coins as Sources (2021)]; RBW Collection 1147 (ill. p. 237); Sydenham 565; Albert 1098 (ill. p. 154) ) [Albert, Rainer, Die Münzen der Römischen Republik (2011)]; RBW Collection 1176 (ill. p. 243).* Purchased 23 Dec. 2023 from Münzenhandlung Dirk Löbbers, Wettringen, Germany; ex Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH & Co. KG, Osnabruck, Germany, Auction 80, 5 Dec. 2023, Lot 1088 (with old coin envelope, pre-1974).**

ValeriusFlaccusMarsCrawford306-1DirkLobbers.jpg.2062a241bf005776b423ca1e8849f418.jpg

*Crawford states (Vol. I p. 316) that the moneyer “is presumably L. Valerius Flaccus, Cos. 100. The figure of Mars and the apex together recall the fact that the moneyer’s father, Cos. 131, held the office of Flamen Martialis” (priest of Mars), an office that this moneyer had probably not yet held at the time of this issue according to Crawford (but see the quotation from Yarrow below), but did hold later on. Id.

For a further description of the apex depicted on the reverse of this type, as worn by Roman priests such as the Flamen Martialis, see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Apex  : “The apex was a leather skull-cap worn by Flamen (Roman priests), with a chin-strap and a point of olive wood on its top, like a spindle, with a little fluff of wool at the base of the spindle”) (a definition based [see id.] on the entry for “Apex” in S.W. Stevenson’s A Dictionary of Roman Coins (1889), which notes, inter alia, that the apex “somewhat resemble[ed] a  bishop's mitre, for which its form probably, after ages, furnished a pattern.  On the top was a pointed piece of wood, the base of which was surrounded by a little woollen tuft. Two fillaments of the same material, hanging from the bottom of it, served to fasten it under the chin. The derivation of this word is not satisfactorily explained by learned writers. But its sometimes round -- sometimes conical shape -- and the pointed tassel on the top (Apex) most probably gave the name to the cap itself. It seems to have been first used by the Salian priests, and was afterwards worn by the Pontifex Maximus and the Flamines generally. . . . The Apex is found on a denarius of the Quinctia gens, as indicating the connection of Quinctius Flaminius with the priesthood of Jupiter. As a symbol of Valerius Flaccus [the father of the Crawford 306 moneyer] being a Salian, or priest of Mars [Flamen Martialis], it appears on a coin of the Valeria gens." As explained in John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London, 1990) (entry for “Flamen” at p. 117), the term “Flamen” is derived from “flare, ‘to blow’, a word which originally meant one who kindled a sacred fire. The word became the name of a class of priest of very high status at Rome. There were fifteen flamines, three major and twelve minor, who were in charge of the worship of various gods; for instance, the flamen Dialis was the high priest of Jupiter (Diespiter), the flamen Martialis of Mars. . . . The flamines were distinguished by a white conical hat, crowned by a twig of olive wood and a woollen thread. The decoration at the top was called the apex, a word which later came to be used for the whole hat.” [Remainder of footnote omitted.]

Nice addition, @DonnaML! "Weird stuff I never heard of on ancient coins" might have been a better name for the thread .... here's another one: Astragalus (Greek) or Talus (Latin)

"In antiquity, one of the most popular games of chance was played with astragaloi, knucklebones of sheep and goats. They could be used like dice or like jacks, thrown in the air and caught on the back of the hand. Knucklebones have been found in tombs where they must have been intended to help the deceased while away endless time."

-The MET: Bronze astragalus (knucklebone)

Bronze astragalus (knuckle-bone), probably used as a gaming piece or for fortune telling.

-The British Museum: Astragalus

"An astragalos (plural astragaloi) was a ;gaming piece made from the "knuckle-bone" (typically the anklebone from the hind leg) of a sheep or goat, used in antiquity in for divination and games in a manner similar to dice. Each side had a unique numerical value and, like modern dice, the values on opposite sides added up to seven. They were also used in children's games games, where players attempted to knock an opponent's knucklebones out of the center of a circle, or throw their own knucklebones in the air, catching them on the back of their hand, like jacks."

-Numiswiki, Forvm Ancient Coins

"Ivory knucklebones (Tali eborei) When the bone (talus) you've thrown stands without the same face as another, you will say that I have given you a big present"

-Martial, XIV.14 (Note: iactus Veneris was a high throw in the game where each of 4 dice show a difference number)

AESGraveastagalos.jpg.abd67cc3c47a0d9d1796d7a5bf32598e.jpg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 5

Here's an unusual item, a bird trap.

Note that neither of these coins belong to me, the first being a late 4th century bronze of Herakleia, Lucania (from Marc Breitsprecher), the second an early 4th century stater of Kaulonia, Bruttium (from Musa Numismatic Art).

~ Peter 

Az69wHo2T9gcxeW87gQJM4ky53Sdtn-1~2.jpg

jEw2KF3xd7Ptfa6Le9QsdZg48oiNtH~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Phil Anthos said:

Here's an unusual item, a bird trap.

Note that neither of these coins belong to me, the first being a late 4th century bronze of Herakleia, Lucania (from Marc Breitsprecher), the second an early 4th century stater of Kaulonia, Bruttium (from Musa Numismatic Art).

Interesting - I haven't seen one of those before - but it reminded, me of this image of a bird sitting on a plow (Roman aratum; Greek arotron) from

KentoripaSicilyPlow.jpg.3d06b07c097692302bf0c46ec881cf55.jpg

SICILY, Kentoripai. Circa 211-190 BC. Æ Sextans

Obv: Draped bust of Demeter right, wearing stephane; grain ear behind

Rev: KENTO / PIΠΙΝΩΝ, bird perched on plow; two pellets to left.

Ref: Campana 5A/a; BAR Issue 4; CNS 7; HGC 2, 637; Virzi 914

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Interesting - I haven't seen one of those before - but it reminded, me of this image of a bird sitting on a plow (Roman aratum; Greek arotron) from

KentoripaSicilyPlow.jpg.3d06b07c097692302bf0c46ec881cf55.jpg

SICILY, Kentoripai. Circa 211-190 BC. Æ Sextans

Obv: Draped bust of Demeter right, wearing stephane; grain ear behind

Rev: KENTO / PIΠΙΝΩΝ, bird perched on plow; two pellets to left.

Ref: Campana 5A/a; BAR Issue 4; CNS 7; HGC 2, 637; Virzi 914

I have seen that type before, now that you post it, and I've always been intrigued by the symbolism.

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1