A new direction for my collection

Parthicus

Now that April has started, I feel that it's time to make my big announcement.

As most of you know, I have been focusing my collection mainly on ancient coins, particularly those that reveal aspects of history. I also enjoy reading up about the history of the times and places these coins were minted, and I often end up learning, not just history, but also religious beliefs, art history, geography, languages, even zoology (how else would I have ever heard of a zebu?).

But no more. After watching a few Youtube videos and browsing Etsy, I have seen the light. Clearly, the path to collecting happiness (not to mention easy $$$$) is in collecting modern mint errors found in circulation, or on the ground in parking lots. Take a look at these beauties I found at the local supermarket this weekend:

image.jpeg.de0e1240b15acecb8c5e2098941d5b9b.jpeg

I figure these have to be worth at least $100 each. But what do you think? Do you have any comparable errors to share? Let me know, but before you reply, please check today's date, and have a great day. 😉

• Like 3
  • Smile 4
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 9
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1

Good one, @Parthicus!

(Instant edit:) one justly stereotypical symptom of Autism Spectrum is pronounced impairment when it comes to irony.  For the second before you mentioned what day it is, I was registering shock.  --No, only made the net effect more fun.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3

That is an excellent goal, @Parthicus

I will stick to ancients, but I will completely change my tactics. For more than 3 years I buy from auctions and usually get common budget coins, sometimes good deals. Like you, I was interested in history, geography, various events, animals, religion. 

NO MORE. I will stick to ancients like I said, but from now on I will buy only rarities because I want to build a collection with rare or very rare coins (I already sold my entire collection as there was no rarity there so this doesn't fit my collecting goals anymore). 

The first coin I bought is 

image.png.bfd254fbd9901f0b56a53b514ae8fa39.png

Description - Ultra Rare Coin ( Estimated Lydia).
Experts don't even know what it is, no one has ever seen anything like this. Found in Turkey in Manisa.

Well, if the experts don't know, good enough for me. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 6
  • Cool Think 1
  • Shock 1

39 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

That is an excellent goal, @Parthicus

I will stick to ancients, but I will completely change my tactics. For more than 3 years I buy from auctions and usually get common budget coins, sometimes good deals. Like you, I was interested in history, geography, various events, animals, religion. 

NO MORE. I will stick to ancients like I said, but from now on I will buy only rarities because I want to build a collection with rare or very rare coins (I already sold my entire collection as there was no rarity there so this doesn't fit my collecting goals anymore). 

The first coin I bought is 

image.png.bfd254fbd9901f0b56a53b514ae8fa39.png

Description - Ultra Rare Coin ( Estimated Lydia).
Experts don't even know what it is, no one has ever seen anything like this. Found in Turkey in Manisa.

Well, if the experts don't know, good enough for me. 

Wow, you stole that coin!

• Laugh 3

Back to @ambr0zie. it's a little  uncomfortable (at least) even using this as a substitute expletive, but this soon after Catholic and Protestant Easter, at least it is one.  Well, sort of.  (You have my solemn word and bond, if you've been to a service from this denomination, you've Been to Church.)

Church of God In Christ.

...Why is April Fool's so soon after Easter?  No clue about the history involved; I can only think that God has a sense of humor.

Edited by JeandAcre
Typ-i-Ype-i-o's.
  • Like 1

Not sure what you mean. I am pretty sure that April Fools is recent, historically speaking (some sources mention 1582). Also it was strictly in the Western world. I heard about this "celebration" only after 1990. I live in Eastern Europe. 

Also, remember that Catholic and Protestant are not the only Christian churches. I am Orthodox, I will celebrate Easter on 5th of May. The dates of Easter are variable every year and the rules are complicated, anyway, there is no such rule as Catholics celebrate Easter on day X and Orthodox Church on day Y. 

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Easter is calculated in a very pagan way, imo. Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox, so it is rare that it falls in March at all. 

~ Peter 

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Phil Anthos said:

Easter is calculated in a very pagan way, imo. Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox, so it is rare that it falls in March at all. 

~ Peter 

Next year, Easter falls on 4-20:

Pot Digital Art - Weed Smoking Jesus Christ Cannabis Stoner THC by Mister Tee

• Smile 1

I'm glad someone shares my collecting interests. This is one of my proudest specimens.

Mangled01Obv.png.e9d1c1cb453cbedb8fc210cdbfb5e87e.pngMangled01Rev.png.64e40c4473afe61012d7d08e8e09f544.png

It was actually in a box inherited from a now deceased relative. They apparently had some free time for mauling.

• Smile 1
  • Gasp 1

On 4/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, ambr0zie said:

Not sure what you mean. I am pretty sure that April Fools is recent, historically speaking (some sources mention 1582). Also it was strictly in the Western world. I heard about this "celebration" only after 1990. I live in Eastern Europe. 

Also, remember that Catholic and Protestant are not the only Christian churches. I am Orthodox, I will celebrate Easter on 5th of May. The dates of Easter are variable every year and the rules are complicated, anyway, there is no such rule as Catholics celebrate Easter on day X and Orthodox Church on day Y. 

Well, Yeah.  I was making specific, contextual, Not reductionistic reference to Roman Catholic and Protestant traditions.  In a world reeking of false dichotomies, that Ain't one of 'em.  (Edit:) what I said was effectively predicated on a sovereign God, effectively transcendent of such anecdotal historical details.

...As I trust will be readily within your own frame of reference.  Right, with reliably documented descent from Alexios I and Isaakios II, I kind of know from Greek Orthodox.

(Last edit:) oh, right, then there was this.

Edited by JeandAcre