A new addition to the menagerie

CPK

Posted · Supporter

As many of you know, I enjoy collecting coins with animals on them - particularly African animals. One of the more interesting animal coin types are a small assortment of Roman provincial coins, struck in the 3rd century, featuring an ostrich either standing or running on the reverse.

These types are rather scarce to begin with and their popularity means that they are even scarcer on the market. Good specimens rarely stick around long. So when I spotted this coin come up for sale at a reasonable price, I did not hesitate!

GordianIIIAEOstrich.jpg.ebd877d6f88e7e844a6a8cfcd546a920.jpg

THRACE, HADRIANOPOLIS
Time of Gordian III
AE (16.83mm, 3.35g, 7h)
Struck AD 238-244
Obverse: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, seen from rear
Reverse: ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ, ostrich standing right
References: RPC Online, Vol. VII.2, No. 806.12 (this coin)
A rare type, with good detail and a beautiful emerald green patina.

This coin has its flaws, but overall I am very pleased with the purchase. The ostrich is clearly identifiable, well-centered on the flan and even has some feather details left. The obverse is also in good shape and the coin has a vivid, if somewhat patchy, emerald green patina.

Thanks for looking! Please feel free to post your own ostrich coins, animal coins, or anything else you consider relevant.

• Like 22
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 9

Oh yes, a great provincial. I also built a Zoo of my own and the ostrich is one of the main attractions. 

Here is my example 

image.png.31074626160c099c94903f40af4ce86c.png

16 mm, 2,32 g.
Thrace, Hadrianopolis. Gordian III 238-244. Ӕ.
AYT K M ANT ΓOΡΔIANOC, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right, seen from rear / AΔΡIANOΠOΛEITΩN, ostrich walking right.
Varbanov 3833; RPC VII.2, 806; Jurukova, Hadrianopolis 676; Moushmov 2630A.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 5

On 3/24/2024 at 9:27 AM, CPK said:

As many of you know, I enjoy collecting coins with animals on them - particularly African animals. One of the more interesting animal coin types are a small assortment of Roman provincial coins, struck in the 3rd century, featuring an ostrich either standing or running on the reverse.

These types are rather scarce to begin with and their popularity means that they are even scarcer on the market. Good specimens rarely stick around long. So when I spotted this coin come up for sale at a reasonable price, I did not hesitate!

GordianIIIAEOstrich.jpg.ebd877d6f88e7e844a6a8cfcd546a920.jpg

THRACE, HADRIANOPOLIS
Time of Gordian III
AE (16.83mm, 3.35g, 7h)
Struck AD 238-244
Obverse: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, seen from rear
Reverse: ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ, ostrich standing right
References: RPC Online, Vol. VII.2, No. 806.12 (this coin)
A rare type, with good detail and a beautiful emerald green patina.

This coin has its flaws, but overall I am very pleased with the purchase. The ostrich is clearly identifiable, well-centered on the flan and even has some feather details left. The obverse is also in good shape and the coin has a vivid, if somewhat patchy, emerald green patina.

Thanks for looking! Please feel free to post your own ostrich coins, animal coins, or anything else you consider relevant.

That's a fantastic reverse! I love it. Congrats!

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
21 hours ago, JAZ Numismatics said:

Man, that's a difficult type to get your hands on, and that's a very nice example. Well done!

Thanks! I had my eye on one in an auction a while ago, but passed because the reverse was too off-center. Glad I waited!

1 hour ago, David Atherton said:

That's a fantastic reverse! I love it. Congrats!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, KenDorney said:

Here is my Pseudo-Autonomous example from Byzantion:

Byzantion Ostrich.jpg

Wow! I've never seen that type before. That is a terrific coin! What time period was it struck?

• Like 1

• Benefactor
21 hours ago, CPK said:

Thanks! I had my eye on one in an auction a while ago, but passed because the reverse was too off-center. Glad I waited!

Thanks!

Wow! I've never seen that type before. That is a terrific coin! What time period was it struck?

Thrace, Byzantion, Time of Severus Alexander, 222 – 235 AD
Æ20, 4.81 grams
Obverse:  Head of youthful Dionysos right wreathed in ivy.

Reverse:  Ostrich running left being hunted by a dog.

References:
BMC 59  //  Imhoof-Blumer pl. 5, 52  //  Bernhard pl. 4, 9  //  Pick 21 b, p. 48  //  Schönert-Geiss, 2126.2, p. 150, pl. 131

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter
8 hours ago, KenDorney said:

Thrace, Byzantion, Time of Severus Alexander, 222 – 235 AD
Æ20, 4.81 grams
Obverse:  Head of youthful Dionysos right wreathed in ivy.

Reverse:  Ostrich running left being hunted by a dog.

References:
BMC 59  //  Imhoof-Blumer pl. 5, 52  //  Bernhard pl. 4, 9  //  Pick 21 b, p. 48  //  Schönert-Geiss, 2126.2, p. 150, pl. 131

Thanks! Not in RPC?