Is this Vespasian tooled?

I do not hold myself as any sort of expert on bronzes, but this appears extensively tooled to me. The vertically oriented parallel lines which sweep across the obverse and reverse are very bothersome.  Perhaps this could be termed normal cleaning but I find it distracting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hrefn said:

I do not hold myself as any sort of expert on bronzes, but this appears extensively tooled to me. The vertically oriented parallel lines which sweep across the obverse and reverse are very bothersome.  Perhaps this could be termed normal cleaning but I find it distracting. 

I kinda agree with you. I can't really find any portraits like this. Maybe smoothing. Lyon mint portraits are kinda similar but it just looks off 

12 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

I wonder, if the vertical lines, are an artifact of the photography. The vertical lines, are parallel to the greenish vertical lines, on the background surrounding the coin, on both obverse and reverse.

Regarding tooling. I'm not an expert in tooling. I'm also not familiar with the coin type. However, nothing jumps out at me. Nothing screams "tooling" to me. Higher quality photographs, if possible, may help, to figure out, if the coin is tooled.

Edited by sand
  • Like 2
  • Yes 2

3 minutes ago, sand said:

I wonder, if the vertical lines, are an artifact of the photography. The vertical lines, are parallel to the greenish vertical lines, on the background surrounding the coin, on both obverse and reverse.

Regarding tooling. I'm not an expert in tooling. I'm also not familiar with the coin type. However, nothing jumps out at me. Nothing screams "tooling" to me. Higher quality photographs, if possible, may help, to figure out, if the coin is tooled.

The photo is kinda bad it was taken off my laptop lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sand said:

The vertical lines is just the photo taken on my laptop 

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1

It doesn't look like anyone has tried to enhance it by re-carving letters or devices. They may have attempted to get the encrustations from around the legends with a sharp tool. Whether you count that as tooling or not is subjective. The reverse is more corroded, so they didn't keep going on that as there would be nothing left.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Roman Collector said:

I think the price is too high given the coin's state of preservation. Pass on it. 

Thank you. I could make an offer. I think $50 would be ok. I can't for the life of me find a nice Vespasian portrait in bronze