A mis-attributed Coin. Alexius IV - SB 2641

ela126

Won this coin today on Kybele auction #2. This little gem (I think) was stuck in the medieval section and didn’t get a lot of focus. It was Attributed to Alexius II, but unless the flan was very well clipped,  I didn’t believe it was an SB 2619

Coin was listed as:

Empire of Trebizond, Alexis II (1297-1330), AR asper, Right: Saint Eugene on horseback on the right. On the right, B. Under the horse, a flower. Reverse: The emperor on horseback right, holding a beaded scepter. On the right, B. Under the horse, a flower. Ref.: Sear, 2619
Weight 0.93 gr - Diameter 14.27 mm

however, some research seems to match well with Alexius IV. Flan size is a dead match with the later coin at 0.9g, where Alexios II’s are nearly 2.0g. The B’s below the horses, and the AE on the 9 o’clock of the reverse all seem to point to a SB 2641.

Coin was priced a bit above what I’d want to pay for a clipped Alexius II but well below a Alexius IV.

I welcome all thoights. Feel free to post any aspers you have!IMG_6488.jpeg.33d50d49c6ee25920f26f1e4db961e18.jpegIMG_6489.jpeg.4cd73259befbc37d1803d319d1a1ade7.jpeg

another example. B’s are moved but wildwinds shows there are 3 variations of that. This shows lettering on the obverse similar to my example. I think I’ve convinced myself it is surely a 2641 that I purchased 

IMG_6492.png.9d19971bac1b7c596674f74279cb01b6.png

Edited by ela126
  • Like 10

That's a nice example. Definitely in the wrong category, good find.

b285_a.jpg.7acbbe38bde7a78247a65495dc5fb427.jpgJohn IV
Mint: Trebizond
1446 to 1458 AD
AR Asper
Obvs: Λ in circle. St. Eugene on horseback right nimbate, holding cross-scepter. In upper field right ИH.
Revs: John on horseback right wearing stemma with pendilia and loros, holding trefoil scepter. Trefoil beneath horse. B to right of horse.
13x14mm, 0.54g
Sear 2642; Retowski 2

Edited by Celator
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here’s an unusual asper of Alexios II (1297 -1330). 2.00 gr. 22.3 mm. 6 hr.

Obverse, St. Eugenios on horseback right and holding cross in his right hand.

Rev: Alexios  on horseback right and holding sceptre of 3 pellets in his right hand; manus Dei to upper right .  Not in Sear or Retowski. Bendall 51. Bendall, in his An Introduction to the coinage of Trebizond, p. 52 considers this variety with the emperor being crowned by the manus Dei as the first issue of the reign.

2024_26.jpg.d9237a6528ac08a797422b13f29f97d4.jpg

And two less-than beautiful aspers of Alexius IV (1417-1446).

Top coin. 0.90 gr. 15.5 mm 7 hr

Obv:  St. Eugenios on horseback right and holding cross in his right hand. Beneath horse’s head, B; beneath horse, star.

Rev: Alexios on horseback right, holding trilobate sceptre in his right hand. [Beneath horse’s head, B]; beneath horse, star.

S2641;  Bendall 79;  Retowski 14-15.

Bottom coin.  0.88 gr. 15.4 mm 6 hr

Obv: St. Eugenios on horseback right and holding cross in his right hand. Beneath horse’s head, B; beneath horse, star.

Rev: Alexios on horseback right, holding trilobate sceptre in his right hand. Beneath horse’s head, B; beneath horse, star.                          

S2641;  Bendall 79;  Retowski 14-15.

S2641.jpg.cdfb076c4833d5e399dad6df433d7725.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Celator and @voulgaroktonou thank you for sharing these. Love the John IV and Alexios II. I don’t know much about these but they seem to be the closest to a medieval styled coin (whatever I mean by that) versus other pieces of the era. I do also like the contrast in quality of the Alexios II to later pieces, showing the sharp decline of the empire.

12 hours ago, ela126 said:

@Celator and @voulgaroktonou thank you for sharing these. Love the John IV and Alexios II. I don’t know much about these but they seem to be the closest to a medieval styled coin (whatever I mean by that) versus other pieces of the era. I do also like the contrast in quality of the Alexios II to later pieces, showing the sharp decline of the empire.

I don't have many Trebizond pieces, although they are chronologically very close to my beloved Palaelologans. But for the Byzantinist, they are part of the story, as I am reminded by the title of William Miller's 1926 book, Trebizond; the last Greek empire.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...