Anyone have a link to or illustration of Lanz Auction 60, lot 513, 11 June 1992?

Hi! I'm hoping that someone has a link to an online archive or can scan/photograph an aureus of Faustina I with a CONCORDIA/Dove reverse type. It appeared in Lanz Auction 60 of 11 June 1992 as lot 513. Much appreciated! 

Edited by Roman Collector

• Roman Collector changed the title to Anyone have a link to or illustration of Lanz Auction 60, lot 513, 11 June 1992?
38 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

I can't find it (slim chance being that old) but as a last resort they have it for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230853019519

Thanks! The shipping on that to the US is 30 Euro. While I'd like to have the illustration of the lot in question for an installment of Faustina Friday, I don't think it's worth the nearly $50 it would cost to see the image. 

Edit: oops shared the wrong coin, this one is the one I think you were looking for:

"The Diva Faustina coin is only known from a sale by Lanz (Auction 60, 11 January 1992, 513; I thank Bernhard Woytek for sending me a copy of the original photograph from Vienna, where the Lanz photo archive is now stored). The same reverse die was used with an obverse die of Faustina the Younger, of which there are at least three examples: British Museum, Pius 1089; J. Hirsch Auction 20, 13 November 1907, 607; Stack's 24 April 2008, 23

See: BECKMANN, MARTIN. “Intra-Family Die Links in the Antonine Mint at Rome.The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), vol. 169, 2009, pp. 205–11.

image.png.6b8894b5ec924b26833d22e36d88fce5.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

17 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Edit: oops shared the wrong coin, this one is the one I think you were looking for:

"The Diva Faustina coin is only known from a sale by Lanz (Auction 60, 11 January 1992, 513; I thank Bernhard Woytek for sending me a copy of the original photograph from Vienna, where the Lanz photo archive is now stored). The same reverse die was used with an obverse die of Faustina the Younger, of which there are at least three examples: British Museum, Pius 1089; J. Hirsch Auction 20, 13 November 1907, 607; Stack's 24 April 2008, 23

See: BECKMANN, MARTIN. “Intra-Family Die Links in the Antonine Mint at Rome.The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), vol. 169, 2009, pp. 205–11.

image.png.6b8894b5ec924b26833d22e36d88fce5.png

That is EXACTLY it!! Thanks so much! Note that Beckmann incorrectly states the Lanz Auction was in "January"; it took place on 11 June, 1992. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

Thanks! The shipping on that to the US is 30 Euro. While I'd like to have the illustration of the lot in question for an installment of Faustina Friday, I don't think it's worth the nearly $50 it would cost to see the image. 

Worst case scenario, offer the seller $5 for photographs of what you need. I have done this before to great benefit, especially when I need say one article out of a larger journal 

• Like 4

• Benefactor

I find it interesting that not only did Lanz stop selling genuine ancient coins quite a while ago, they're in the process of selling off their inventory of old catalogs on ebay. Who needs a reference library when almost every coin you sell is a fake?

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 2

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I find it interesting that not only did Lanz stop selling genuine ancient coins quite a while ago, they're in the process of selling off their inventory of old catalogs on ebay. Who needs a reference library when almost every coin you sell is a fake?

Ouch! That's harsh Donna 😅
But yeah, how the mighty have fallen. 20 years ago they had a couple jaw-dropping sales. Maybe with a change of management they can get on the long road to recovery. The firm has roots dating back over a century I think.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 8:22 PM, rasiel said:

Maybe with a change of management they can get on the long road to recovery.

But why bother buying the company when the name and reputation is probably more poisoned then just starting a new company from scratch?

• Like 2
  • Yes 1