Septimius Severus - RIC 495

maridvnvm

I have generally stopped collecting the later eastern issues of Septimius Severus. I do make the occasional exception and this is one such occasion. It isn't a scarce coin but I was swayed by the Michael Kelly collection provenance as I didn't have a Kelly coin in my collection.

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG P M IMP XI, laureate head right
Rev:– PAR AR AD TR P VI COS II P P, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm
Minted in Laodicea ad Mare, A.D. 198
References:– BMCRE 625. RIC 495, RSC 361

Ex Spink Auction 18055, Lot 448. Ex. Michael Kelly Collection

3.97 gms, 19.07 mm. 0 degrees

RI_064wa_img.JPG

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 8

It snow sits nicely alongside coins from earlier issues. These coins form part of a series of Victory coins celebrating Severus' victories in the east. The coin above is an early (though not quite earliest... see below) issue with titles on the Eastern denarii after the capture of Ctesiphon

Obv:– L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VII-I, Laureate head right
Rev:– ARAB ADIABENIC, Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm (R of ARAB corrected over B)
Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 196-197
Ref:– Cohen -, BMCRE -, RIC -.

The reverse refers to victory over Niger. To hide the fact that this was a civil war, it is phrased as victory over Arabs and Adiabenians, who aided Niger's cause. This was pre-Ctesiphon.

RI_064fi_img.jpg

The Eastern New-Style mint ("Laodicea-ad-Mare") had taken to copying its legends and most of its types from Rome-mint coins, but it had obviously heard the news from Ctesiphon before the Roman mint did. It would appear that Septimius had accepted the title of Parthicus after the victory and the title was added to the Arabicus and Adiabenicus older titles from the above. As such we get IMP XI, and Parthicus.

The earliest form being shown from the following very rare issue with teh very odd PIV and P M awkwardly placed in the obverse legend.

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
Rev:– AR AD [T]R P VI COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 280 *, citing RD page 105. RIC 494a corr.

RI_064nk_img~0.jpg

We know that at Rome, the Senate amplified Parthicus to Parthicus Maximus and the mint used just this new title on the coins, IMP XI PART MAX removing the older victory titles relating to the Arabs and Adiabenici. 

The OP coin fitting here in the series before the following issue

Obv:– L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laureate head right
Rev:– VICT PARTHICAE, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, trophy over left shoulder; captive left.
Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 198-202
Reference:– RIC IV 514; BMCRE 672; RSC 741.

RI_064mm_img.jpg

• Like 12

A quick chat with the seller of the OP coin led me to a second purchase and a second ex. Kelly coin for the collection.

I certainly didn't need another RIC 424 to add to my collection as I already have 5 different examples but this is the only one I have with the slightly odder COS - II obverse legend break.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS - II, Laureate head right
Rev:– VICT AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194 - 195
References:– BMCRE 395, VM 150/1, RIC 424, RSC 675a

Ex Spink Auction 18055, Lot 435. Ex. Michael Kelly Collection

2.74 g, 18.02 mm. 180 degree

RI_064wb_img.JPG

• Like 8

@dougsmit

I have an example from your first obverse die but with a LIEBRAL AVG reverse

RI_064kk_img.jpg

I think the following is similar in style to but I don't think is an obverse die match to your second coin. Mine has a FORTVNA REDVCI, Fortuna (pax?) type.

RI_064ev_img.jpg

There is the "COS" obverse die that has two very fine strokes below the bust that could be II

RI_064tz_img.jpg

I also have this one from my "Short obverse legend" sub-collection. I haven't seen any other examples from this obverse die and neither had Curtis Clay when last we discussed it.

Obv:– IMP CA L SEP S-EV PER AVG COS - II, Laureate head right
Rev:– LIBE-R AVG, Liberalitas standing left, holding abacus in right hand, cornucopiae in left

RI_064kh_img.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/8/2024 at 4:23 AM, maridvnvm said:

There is the "COS" obverse die that has two very fine strokes below the bust that could be II

RI_064tz_img.jpg

I have seen a very high grade die duplicate to my poor example.  The reverse would suggest this was a very early die for COS II (assuming those strokes are II). 

rg0025bb1653.jpg.1f45741d032b7b3bd232eebb4d612e7b.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I saw that example too. I don't have an AETERNITAS AVS (sic) type because the only other one I have seen is I think the one you are referring to, which hit the market several times from between 2001 and 2018. This coin illustrated below (not mine - Auction image).

4436233.jpg.820acabffba7f601c8515ee33bb569d5.jpg
I used to take an interest in this obverse die but have since focussed elsewhere .

Most  of my examples suffer in a variety of ways, wear, off-centre strike etc. My best example of the obverse die is the one above.

Here are some of the examples of the obverse die that I have obtained.

Same die pair as my example above:-

RI_064fj_img.jpg

Same obverse die but two different MARTI VICT reverse dies

RI_064mh_img.jpg

RI_064jm_img.jpg

Martin

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 3:21 PM, maridvnvm said:

I certainly didn't need another RIC 424 to add to my collection as I already have 5 different examples but this is the only one I have with the slightly odder COS - II obverse legend break.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS - II, Laureate head right
Rev:– VICT AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194 - 195
References:– BMCRE 395, VM 150/1, RIC 424, RSC 675a

I just got one of these - my first (five more to go!!). 

image.jpeg.88cadde70a96818f0276bf7825349688.jpeg

Septimius Severus       Denarius (194-195 A.D.) Emesa/Uncertain Eastern Mint IMP CAE L SEP [SEV PERT A]VG COS II, laureate head right VICT [AVG], Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm over shoulder RIC IV 424; BMCRE 395; Cohen RSC 675a; VM 150/1. (2.90 grams / 17 x 16 mm) eBay March 2024  

It is rather awful in execution, but I did find an obverse die-match, with die-flaw (cud?) on obverse legend:

image.jpeg.a099de6f54621b0c45fbc0560a4047e1.jpeg

Die-Match Obverse:  TimeLine Auctions May 2019 Antiquities & Coins Auction; Lot 3799; 28.05.2019

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6032718

• Like 5