Another 2 Euro coin with great image

expat

My Wife collects all 2 Euro coins that we come across. This one was taken in our shop, a circulating commemorative of Saxony, minted at Munich.

The design shows a view from the inner yard of the world-famous Dresden Zwinger to the Crown Gate. The inner part also features the name ‘SACHSEN’ and the issuing country’s country code ‘D’ at the bottom, the engraver’s mark (the initials ‘JT’ — Jordi Truxa) right at the top and the year ‘2016’ left at the top.

20240201_172942(2)-side.jpg.a7f58f7447ed057960e78b5d989b6051.jpg

• Like 10
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

That's a very nice one.

I always pick up some Euro coins when we go to Luxembourg, since those aren't as common. I'm kicking myself though because we spent two nights in San Marino recently and I didn't think of trying my luck with change. We used credit cards the entire time. 😞 

When I studied in Germany years ago I'd gather up my Pfennigs because they weren't so useful and it was a pain to keep them in my wallet. I recall that some of them were different and I started looking for the rare ones. I can't recall what made them different, but I still have a bag with several hundred Pfennigs in a drawer. 🙂 While I lived there (Berlin) I visited Der Zwinger in Dresden. Die Frauenkirche was a pile of rubble then and I'd love to go back and see it rebuilt.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

That's a very nice one.

I always pick up some Euro coins when we go to Luxembourg, since those aren't as common. I'm kicking myself though because we spent two nights in San Marino recently and I didn't think of trying my luck with change. We used credit cards the entire time. 😞 

When I studied in Germany years ago I'd gather up my Pfennigs because they weren't so useful and it was a pain to keep them in my wallet. I recall that some of them were different and I started looking for the rare ones. I can't recall what made them different, but I still have a bag with several hundred Pfennigs in a drawer. 🙂 While I lived there (Berlin) I visited Der Zwinger in Dresden. Die Frauenkirche was a pile of rubble then and I'd love to go back and see it rebuilt.

Pfennigs with different to standard legends in conjuction with certain mintmarks are highly collectable, especially 50 Pfennigs between 1940-1950.

• Like 2

Although I don't collect them, I tend to have a look at every 2€ coin I come across in my change and keep them when they are new to me. I have probably about 140 of them now, from every country that issued them.

Q

• Like 2