FORTVNA as a reverse type

Valentinian

I have a web page on Fortuna types of the Tetrarchy (struck c. 298) and earlier.

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Fortuna/

I just added two coins to it. One is a type with reverse legend unique to Faustina II:

image.jpeg.22e3c424897adbef2c7cc1f54aaf48e6.jpeg

and the other is a coin of Constantius I with Fortuna standing (she is more often seated):

image.jpeg.58a4b39ffcb287008a61cff4b4cdd7f7.jpeg

Take a look at the page for discussion of the "Fortuna" types, more details about these two coins, and descriptions many other coins. Again, the URL is

Show us a coin with Fortuna!

Edited by Valentinian
  • Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

ri230.jpg.9600997ecc825373fa1995e7ce44b45c.jpgCivic issue of Nicomedia

Nicomedia mint
Obvs: DEAE SANC CERERI, veiled and draped bust of Ceres left, holding grain ear and poppy in raised right hand.
Revs: GEN CIVI T NICOM, Fortuna Redux standing facing, head left, holding in right hand rudder set on ground and cradling cornucopia in left arm; OPA.
AE 15x16mm, 1.46g
Ref: Vagi 2958; Van Heesch 1

• Like 12

• Benefactor

Nicomedia_38.jpg.f0abdfd2cf906a65d06b3fb0190371af.jpg

Licinius I & Licinius II
A.D. 320
Ӕ nummus 21x22mm 4.2g
D D N N IOVII LICINII INVICT AVG ET CAES; laureate and draped confronted busts, together holding Fortuna.
I O M ET FORT CONSER D D N N AVG ET CAES; Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe in right hand, leaning on sceptre; Fortuna standing right crowned with modius, holding cornucopiae and rudder set on globe.
In ex. SMNΔ
RIC VII Nicomedia 38

• Like 12
  • Clap 1

Entertaining and educational webpage, @Valentinian. Here are a couple of Fortuna coins in my numophylacium.

[IMG]
Hadrian, AD 117-138.
Roman AR denarius, 3.44 g, 17.5 mm, 7:00.
Rome, AD 121.
Obv: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder.
Rev: P M TR P COS III, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae and resting on column.
Refs: RIC 86b; BMCRE 170; RSC 1155; UCR 206; RCV 3521.

[IMG]
Elagabalus, AD 218-222.
Roman AR Antoninianus, 5.17 g, 21.3 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD 219.
Obv: IMP ANTONINVS AVG, radiate and draped bust, right.
Rev: P M TR PII COSII P P, Fortuna enthroned left, holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae; wheel below seat.
Refs: RIC 18; BMCRE 94; Cohen 148; RCV 7495.

[IMG]
Faustina I, AD 138-141.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.12 g, 32.6 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 150.
Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, Bust of Faustina I, draped and veiled, right.
Rev: AETERNITAS S C, Fortuna, draped, standing left, holding globe on extended right hand and long rudder, vertical in left hand.
Refs: RIC 1107b; BMCRE 1499-1500; Cohen 8; Strack 1267; RCV 4608 v.; Dinsdale 021000.
Notes: Obverse die-match to BMCRE 1499.

[IMG]
Aurelian, AD 279-275.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.61 gm, 20.6 mm, 12 h.
Mediolanum, 3rd emission, autumn 271 – autumn 272.
Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopiae, wheel under seat; S in exergue.
Refs: RIC 128; MER/RIC 1466; CBN 452; Sear 11539; MIR 16, Hunter p. cx.

TrebonianusGallusCaesareaMaritimaFortuna.jpg.7ffb73d58db1afb886813ddc92f4d117.jpg
Trebonianus Gallus, 251-253 CE.
Roman provincial Æ 22.05 mm, 9.66 g, 7 h.
Samaria, Caesarea Maritima, 251-253 CE.
Obv: IMP C C VIB GALLVS P F AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust, right, seen from front.
Rev: COL P F AVG F C CAES METR P, Fortuna standing left, parazonium at waist, foot on uncertain object (prow or rock?), holding human bust and long scepter; at her feet, right, swimming river god.
Refs: RPC IX, 2122; BMC 27.39,204-206; Lindgren III, 1501; Kadman 198; Rosenberger II, 162; SNG ANS 850; SNG Cop 13.

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

Trebonianus Gallus, 251-253 CE.
Roman provincial Æ 22.05 mm, 9.66 g, 7 h.
Samaria, Caesarea Maritima, 251-253 CE.
Obv: IMP C C VIB GALLVS P F AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust, right, seen from front.
Rev: COL P F AVG F C CAES METR P, Fortuna standing left, parazonium at waist, foot on uncertain object (prow or rock?), holding human bust and long scepter; at her feet, right, swimming river god.

I see that RPC calls the figure Fortuna. I wonder why. The legend doesn't mention Fortuna and it has none of the usual attributes of Fortuna (rudder, cornucopia, and somethmes a wheel). Also, it has attributes I have not seen elsewhere associated with Fortuna, such as the parazonium, long scepter, and river god swimming. 

I doubt that RPC has this one right. 

To confirm that Fortuna usually does not look like that, you can check out may Fortuna coins on the main page mentioned in the original post:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valentinian said:

I see that RPC calls the figure Fortuna. I wonder why.

I am wondering if it is the Tyche-Fortuna connection at work.  Head of Serapis, river god and long scepter not unusual to associate with Tyche and Tyche often aligned with Fortuna in the Roman pantheon.

image.png.cdd5d62f2708f3414c813ecb5a4b19be.png

although there aren't a lot of examples of this coin (RPC IX, 2122) to compare, it is sometimes described in auctions as "Tyche standing facing, head left, resting foot on prow, holding human bust and rudder; behind, half-length figure of river-god, holding anchor" and both Tyche and Serapis seem to have the expected mural crown and modius:

image.png.d6b66b75600b900fe25f5d0c1c7d1966.png

Here's a Roman Fortuna from Trajan with appropriate rudder and cornucopia.

TrajanFortunadenarius.jpg.d1df63073a6fe05e7350db302cb54f52.jpg

and here's an imperatorial Fortuna from the Roman Republic...Q. Sicinius AR Denarius. Rome, 49 BC...

Q.Siciniusdenarius.jpg.5cae7d07e6041b3dcc6303705414fdd2.jpg

and jugate busts of Fortuna Victrix and Fortuna Felix also from the Imperatorial period ( Q. Rustius. Denarius circa 19 BC )

Q.RustiusAugustus.jpg.74c24201bf868431d6e32f4748c70042.jpg

Fortuna seems to have grown in importance to the Romans in the Imperial period vs. Republic.  Perhaps an association with Augustus was helpful in amplifying this goddess of chance.  From Augustus' Res Gestae,  listing of his achievement.

"The Senate consecrated in honor of my return an altar to Fortuna Redux at the Porta Capena, near the temple of Honor and Virtue, on which it ordered the pontiffs and the Vestal virgins to perform a yearly sacrifice on the anniversary of the day on which I returned (12 October 19 BCE). to the city from Syria, in the consulship of Quintus Lucretius and Marcus Vinicius, and named the day, after my cognomen, the Augustalia."

-Augustus, Res Gestae Divi Augusti

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 6

The Eastern mint coins of Septimius Severus is a prolific source for FORTVNA REDVCI derived legends. The legends typically start in long form earlier in the output of the issues and shortens later. 

One peculiarity if these issues is that the deity being depicted is not always Fortuna but is often describes as Fortuna as another deity e.g. Pax.

I will illustrate some of the above from my collection.

AVG issue

FORTVNE (sic) RDVCI (sic), Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae

RI_064mr_img.jpg

FORTVNAE REDVC, Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopiae

RI_064eq_img.jpg

In the COS I issue we see that the legends are still long but with the introduction of other deities

FORTVNAE REDVCI, Fortuna (Pietas) standing left holding patera and cornucopia, sacrificing over altar

RI_064ef_img.jpg

We also have some more obverse legend variations before we reach the mass COS II issue. Legend here still tend to be long form.

AVG II C - FORTVNAE REDVCI, Fortuna (Pax?) seated left holding branch and cornucopia

RI_064th_img.jpg

. CO - FOTVNA-E (sic) R-EDVCI, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder in right hand, cornucopia in left

RI_064qm_img.jpg

This coin might simply be a mistake of putting the wrong reverse type with the wrong legend - II C - FORTVAE(sic) REDVCI, Moneta/Aequitas standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left

RI_064jh_img~0.jpg

COS II continues with the rudder types, Pax seated, Pietas standing and I even have a COS II - Aequitas/Moneta, but now introduces Hilaritas, primarily standing but exceptionally seated

COS II - FORTV-NA REDVCI, Hilaritas, standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae

RI_064iw_img~0.jpg

COS II - FORTVN R-EDVC, Fortuna (Hilaritas) seated left holding long palm and cornucopia

RI_064ds_img.jpg

The strange, shortened legend, COS II varieties also introduce a scepter & cornucopia type

IMP CA L SE SEV PER AG COS II - FORT REDVC, Fortuna standing left, holding long scepter & cornucopia

RI_064tb_img.jpg

The IMP II issues have Fortuna Cornocopia, Hilaritas, Pax seated types but now introduces the double cornucopia type and a seated cornucopia and sceptre type.

IMP II - FORT R-E-DVC, Fortuna standing left holding cornucopiae in both hands

RI_064ln_img~0.jpg

IMP II - FORT RDEVC, Fortuna, seated left, holding cornucopia and sceptre

RI_064hs_img.jpg

The IMP VIII issue continues with a mix of those from other issues, Fortuna with rudder (stg. and std.), Hilaritas stg, Pax, std. Pietas stg, Double cornucopia stg. 

In all I have >120 coins from these eastern issues with varying Fortuna types. It could become a collection focus on its own.

Martin

• Like 10
  • Shock 1