First post, here's two anonymous Byz follis (Class E & G)

zanzi

Hello,

I am glad to find this website and the easy enrollment. There seems to be a good Byzantine community here so would like to post these two anonymous bronze coins which I have. I have already found some details which I think are correct, but would appreciate confirmation or anything else (mints?) which I may've missed. I am less sure about the second Class G coin, it seems closest to this Numista listing but I am not sure about it. Any help would be very appreciated.

image.jpeg.65e63076ff9d25ac7a42e80b2436727b.jpeg

Byzantine Empire

Anonymous Class E (attributed to Constantine X)

Dated 1059 to 1067 CE

image.jpeg.319fc550845136dbba04e29685356a21.jpeg

Byzantine Empire

Anonymous Class G (attributed to Romanus IV)

Dated 1068 to 1071 CE

As is customary here, please post any other similar coins (ie anonymous follis)3

• Like 14

Welcome! Yes, this is a good place for some discussions. As with any Byznatine community, it is rather small but some major experts are part of the Forum.

If you're not using them already, some other great resources for Byzantine are:

Byzantine coins, Introduction (augustuscoins.com) A Numis Forum member runs this page. I learned a great deal here.

Byzantine Coins in the WildWinds DataBank, Indexed by Sear Byzantine Coins and Their Values Number Superb Sear number lookup with pictures.

Catalog (labarum.info) excellent lookup tool

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine DOC online.. excellent

you are correct on your Class E coin.

For your second coin you have a Constantine X, named follis. So it's not anonymous as that's constantine X on the reverse.. SB 1854. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, zanzi said:

Hello,

I am glad to find this website and the easy enrollment. There seems to be a good Byzantine community here so would like to post these two anonymous bronze coins which I have. I have already found some details which I think are correct, but would appreciate confirmation or anything else (mints?) which I may've missed. I am less sure about the second Class G coin, it seems closest to this Numista listing but I am not sure about it. Any help would be very appreciated.

image.jpeg.65e63076ff9d25ac7a42e80b2436727b.jpeg

Byzantine Empire

Anonymous Class E (attributed to Constantine X)

Dated 1059 to 1067 CE

image.jpeg.319fc550845136dbba04e29685356a21.jpeg

Byzantine Empire

Anonymous Class G (attributed to Romanus IV)

Dated 1068 to 1071 CE

As is customary here, please post any other similar coins (ie anonymous follis)3

Welcome to the forum. Nice coins. Not easy to attribute!

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

18 hours ago, ela126 said:

Welcome! Yes, this is a good place for some discussions. As with any Byznatine community, it is rather small but some major experts are part of the Forum.

If you're not using them already, some other great resources for Byzantine are:

Byzantine coins, Introduction (augustuscoins.com) A Numis Forum member runs this page. I learned a great deal here.

Byzantine Coins in the WildWinds DataBank, Indexed by Sear Byzantine Coins and Their Values Number Superb Sear number lookup with pictures.

Catalog (labarum.info) excellent lookup tool

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine DOC online.. excellent

you are correct on your Class E coin.

For your second coin you have a Constantine X, named follis. So it's not anonymous as that's constantine X on the reverse.. SB 1854. 

Thank you for the excellent resources! And also for the correction on the Constantine X coin!

• Like 2

I have an extensive website on Byzantine coins which @zanzi mentioned:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/

It has numerous pages you might not notice at first. This one is useful: "Byzantine-coin legends: How to read Byzantine Coins,"
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/legends.html

It also has a pages on the anonymous bronze series:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ByzAnon/

There are linked pages on reference works, including the Cherson mint and many stories of individual emperors.

Here is a coin image of one that arrived recently:

image.jpeg.27ac188754e49d92824cb04f5c36a114.jpeg
22-21 mm. (A little larger than a US Nickel) 5.61 grams.
Phocas, 602-610. (They spelled his name "FOCAS"; we spell it "Phocas")
KYZB (the "B" is slightly elevated) 
Sear 670. Cyzicus mint (We spell it with a "C"; they used a "K"). Year 2 = 603/4 (His years and our years don't exactly match up, so, although the "II" means it was minted in his year 2, that year was partly in our year 603 and partly in year 4, written "603/4").

Byzantine coins are lots of fun and Byzantine copper coins are inexpensive. Explore that website and you might get interested. 

Edited by Valentinian
minor edits
  • Like 8

On 2/18/2024 at 3:04 PM, Valentinian said:

I have an extensive website on Byzantine coins which @zanzi mentioned:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/

It has numerous pages you might not notice at first. This one is useful: "Byzantine-coin legends: How to read Byzantine Coins,"
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/legends.html

It also has a pages on the anonymous bronze series:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ByzAnon/

There are linked pages on reference works, including the Cherson mint and many stories of individual emperors.

Here is a coin image of one that arrived recently:

image.jpeg.27ac188754e49d92824cb04f5c36a114.jpeg
22-21 mm. (A little larger than a US Nickel) 5.61 grams.
Phocas, 602-610. (They spelled his name "FOCAS"; we spell it "Phocas")
KYZB (the "B" is slightly elevated) 
Sear 670. Cyzicus mint (We spell it with a "C"; they used a "K"). Year 2 = 603/4 (His years and our years don't exactly match up, so, although the "II" means it was minted in his year 2, that year was partly in our year 603 and partly in year 4, written "603/4").

Byzantine coins are lots of fun and Byzantine copper coins are inexpensive. Explore that website and you might get interested. 

I found your website off of Google when I was trying to ID my coins prior to posting, it's got a wealth of information which I appreciate that you've put online for free. I really like the Phocas coin you shared too, the reverse large letter/denomination types are very attractive to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...