Constantius Chlorus, Radiate Fraction: Which mint is that?

Tejas

5 hours ago, Rand said:

It would be intersting to know the BM reply, please.

Well, since I got this one wrong … I corrected a few of their attributions of Ostrogothic coins. The did reply about 6 months later and changed the description accordingly.

9 minutes ago, Tejas said:

The did reply about 6 months later and changed the description accordingly.

Pleased to hear this (I mean BM). Not every museum is responsive to such information. For example, I recall the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow saying they would correct an attribution (Burgundian rather than Constantinople solidus) and show the other side of the coin which was mismatched, but were busy at the moment. Later they removed the coin from the online display instead.

Edited by Rand
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marsyas Mike said:

Galerius      Æ Radiate Fraction (305-306 A.D.) Alexandria Mint IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust (of Galerius) r. / CONCORDIA MIL[ITVM], emperor standing r. holding sceptre, taking Victory on globe from Jupiter, standing l., holding sceptre, Δ between, ALE in ex.    RIC VI Alex. 59b. (3.25 grams / 19 mm) eBay Apr. 2023 Lot@$1.50 BIN

Attribution:  This looks like a Maximian issue, but OCRE and British Museum, as well as several Roma auctions attribute this portrait to Galerius: RIC VI Alexandria 59b

So, just to reframe the issue ...

During the tetrarchy coin types/series were always issued for all members of the tetrarchy - none would be omitted. We know that this Alexandria CONCORDIA MILITVM series was issued for the first three tetrarchic lineups by who else is included, therefore it must have been issued for both Maximianus and Galerius as augustii (as well as Galerius as caesar).

There are only two legends including "MAXIMIANVS" on these coins:

1) IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS PF AVG (RIC 46b)

2) IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG (RIC 59b)

Legend #1 can only be Maximianus (Marcus Aurelius Maximianus, not Galerius Valerius Maximianus).

Therefore, at least SOME of legend #2 have to be Galerius. The question is are they ALL Galerius (RIC says yes), or might some be Maximianus ?

At first glance, the evidence seems inconclusive. Normally one might be able to use the obverse portrait to differentiate Maximianus (pug nose, jowly) from Galerius, but these Alexandrian portraits are not obviously differentiated, or consistent.

One line of evidence that maybe some are Maximianus are the TWO legends we see for Diocletian on this series - both a long IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG, and a shorter IMP C DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG. It's not uncommon to see long legends used at the start of a series, then later changed to shorter ones, but usually this would be consistently done, so since we have a long legend for Maxmimian - IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS PF AVG - we might also expect to see a short one for him too, following that of Diocletian, i.e. IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG. However, looking at the Alexandrian GENIO POPVLI ROMANI nummus for confirmation, we find that only one legend was used for each of Diocletian and Maximian, and they are inconsistent - the short legend for Diocletian, and long (M A) one for Maximianus. So, perhaps legend 2) was never used for Maximianus ?

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are from my collection ...

1. Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus Herculius, 286 - 305, 307-308

Obv.: IMP CMA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG

Rev.: CONCORDIA MILITVM

Mint: Alexandria (ALE) Delta

Measurements: 2.38g, 20mm

2. Gaius Galerius Valerius Maximianus, as Caesar, 293 - 305

Obv.: GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES

Rev.: CONCORDIA MILITVM