Faustina Friday – A Provincial Æ Double Unit of Faustina the Younger from Trajanopolis in Thrace

Tgif friday weekend GIF - Find on GIFER

Friday felicitations, fellow Faustina fanatics! I recently purchased this unassuming provincial of Faustina the Younger from a Belgian fixed price dealer. Researching the city which issued it, Trajanopolis, has been a difficult endeavor, for there is little information online about the city and its coinage. In fact, some older references inaccurately place this coin under the listings for Trajanopolis in Phrygia.

FaustinaJrTraianopolisHomonoia.jpg.12788f0829b54c2ef05b441d2ad94d6d.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman provincial Æ double unit, 6.47 g, 20.5 mm, 6 h.
Thrace, Trajanopolis, 154-175 CE.
Obv: ΦΑVϹΤΕΙΝΑ ϹΕΒΑϹΤΗ, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ, Homonoia standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae.
Refs: RPC IV.1, 1931-4 (temporary; this coin); Corpus Nummorum 54271 and 3791; Moushmov 5000; Schönert-Geiß, MATT p. 163, nr. 16-17; von Aulock Phryg. II, 1484 (corr.).
Notes: Ex-Frank Sternberg Auction 25, lot 352, 25 November 1991.

Finding the Provenance of This Coin

I stumbled upon the provenance of this coin when I was looking it up in RPC. I noticed that it had the same distinguishing features as on coin number 4 in the listing for RPC IV.1, 1931 (temporary), shown below.

FaustinaJrTraianopolisHomonoiaRPC.jpg.f939a326b6e83144081731dc4f3bd4b3.jpg

Coin no. 4 of RPC IV.1, 1931 (temporary). https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/191020

It is clearly the same specimen. The provenance is noted in the listing: Frank Sternberg Auction 25, lot 352, 25 November 1991. Unfortunately, no previous provenance is provided by Sternberg in the lot description.

Dating the Coin

Dating the coinage of Faustina in the Roman provincial series is challenging because many provincial mints depicted Faustina in anachronistic hairstyles long after her hairstyle had changed on the issues of the imperial mint at Rome. The empress here wears the Beckmann Type 5 hairstyle, which was first used on coins at Rome in autumn, 154 CE.[1] Thus, late 154 serves as terminus post quem for this issue from the mint at Trajanopolis. Examining the whole of her coinage at Trajanopolis, however, reveals no progression to the use of her later hairstyles. It's quite possible that this bust type was used at the mint in Trajanopolis for the remainder of Faustina's lifetime and no clear terminus ante quem can be determined from an examination of her portraiture. The editors of RPC are unable to narrow a date of issue further than "reign of Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius." I therefore date the coin to 154-175 CE.

The Coinage of Faustina II of Trajanopolis

A review of Faustina's coinage at Corpus Nummorum reveals all those struck at Trajanopolis to have been of the double unit denomination. The reverse designs used for the empress at this provincial mint appear to be limited to allegorical types depicting various goddesses and personifications: Artemis, the Three Graces, Nemesis, Homonoia seated and standing, Tyche, Demeter or Isis, two female figures (Demeter and Persophone?) holding poppy and corn ears, and Hera. There is also a reverse type of a female figure standing left, holding a patera and an unknown object identified as corn ears (Moushmov) or a short scepter (RPC); Moushmov tentatively identifies the reverse figure as Abundantia and RPC tentatively as Faustina II.

About Trajanopolis

Trajanopolis (modern Loutra Traianoupoleos) was founded by the Roman emperor Trajan near the ancient town of Doriscus and received his name. In pre-Roman times, Doriscus was the capitol of Rhodope. The Persian emperor Darius left a small garrison at a fort there after his war with the Scythians. At Doriscus, Xerxes gathered men and supplies in preparation for the invasion of Greece. Even though the surrounding territory returned to Thracian control, the fort was still held by the Persians in the time of Herodotus, later in the 5th century BCE. In Hellenistic times, Doriscus was garrisoned by both Philip II and Philip V of Macedon.[2] In the Roman period, the city was famous for its baths. In the 4th century, it became the capital and metropolitan see of the Thracian Roman province of Rhodope.[3]

The city is located in southern Thrace, on the Evros (ancient Hebros) delta where it drains into the Aegean Sea.

TrajanopolisKiepert.jpg.8e2f6b805eb3b5df3b987ad22820effd.jpg

From "Asia citerior," Auctore Henrico Kiepert Berolinensi. Geographische Verlagshandlung Dietrich Reimer (Ernst Vohsen) Berlin, Wilhemlstr. 29. (1903). David Rumsey Historical Map Collection.

In addition to prehistoric remains, marble architectural fragments and inscriptions have been found, the latter including a precinct boundary stone at the foot of the acropolis. Dumont reported extensive remains of houses and streets on the plain near the sea, but no sign of monumental public buildings.[4] In addition are extant the ruins of four baths of the Roman and Ottoman period.[5]

TrajanopolisRuins.jpg.5bcc9f1413e86b026462388faa7e233d.jpg

The ruins of four baths of the Roman and Ottoman period. Photo by P. Vasiliadis; used with permission.[6]

Do you have any coins of Trajanopolis? Let's see them! Please post comments, coins, and anything you feel is relevant.

~~~

Notes

1. Clay, Curtis L. "The Supply of Bronze Coins to Britain in the Second Century." Numismatic Chronicle, vol. 149, 1989, pp. 216. Also, Clay, personal communication, 13 September 2021.

Stillwell, Richard, et al. "Traianopolis (Doriskos) Thrace, Greece." The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites, Princeton University Press, 1976. Available online at the Perseus Project.

3. "Traianoupoli." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 28 Jan. 2024, Traianoupoli - Wikipedia. Accessed 6 Feb. 2024.

4. Stillwell, et al, op. cit.

5. "Traianoupoli." Wikipediaop. cit.

6. "Ottoman Baths at Traianoupoli Greece." Photo by P. Vasiliadis. Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, File:Ottoman Baths at Traianoupoli Greece.JPG - Wikipedia. Accessed 6 Feb. 2024. Used with permission.

Edited by Roman Collector
I have OCD
  • Like 10
  • Clap 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Great coin and detective work @Roman Collector!

I’ve no new Faustina II coins but your post inspired me to look up Homonoia who is a Greek deity symbolizing order and unity. On your coin, she’s holding a patera and cornucopia so I’ve posted denarii featuring Concordia who promotes closely related virtues and is holding similar symbolic objects. Anyway, many thanks — I had no knowledge of Homonoia before today.

image.jpeg.19552862a77744039edc049316b06fae.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:49 AM, Marcus said:

That's a nice find indeed. Yours is also a different die combination (V10 / R-) from the numbers 16 (V9 / R14) and 17 (V9 / R15) in Schönert-Geiss: Die Münzprägung von Augusta Traiana und Traianopolis.

V10 is e.g. also the obverse die for https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/171914.

image.png.8a134c4b2e1f538bdd344518840d56da.png

Great information! Thanks so much for sharing that!

15 hours ago, LONGINUS said:

Great coin and detective work @Roman Collector!

I’ve no new Faustina II coins but your post inspired me to look up Homonoia who is a Greek deity symbolizing order and unity. On your coin, she’s holding a patera and cornucopia so I’ve posted denarii featuring Concordia who promotes closely related virtues and is holding similar symbolic objects. Anyway, many thanks — I had no knowledge of Homonoia before today.

image.jpeg.19552862a77744039edc049316b06fae.jpeg

Yes, Homonoia is Greek for "of the same mind," while Concordia is Latin for "hearts together," and Concordia and Homonoia are considered to be translations of each other. Those are some lovely examples of Concordia! Thanks for showing them. 

• Clap 1

Very interesting post, @Roman Collector.  I know a lot more about Trajanopolis than I did before I read it. 

My only coin from this place came my way recently via eBay - a terrific seller included it for free in a small lot purchase I made.  Some people are wonderful, aren't they?  

image.jpeg.fdb2b47df381de4b8b201fa52ac4aff4.jpeg

Caracalla Æ 16 (c. 198-217 A.D.) Trajanopolis, Thrace  AVT K M AVP C[E ANTΩN]EINOC, laureate draped and cuirassed bust right / TPAIANOΠOΛEITΩ[N], garlanded flaming altar. Varbanov 2764-2767; Moushmov 5026. (2.09 grams / 16 x 15 mm) eBay Jan. 2024           Lot @ Free

Attribution Notes:  Laureate bust, probably.  Auctions and other sources are wobbly:

Corpus Nummorum: Varbanov 2764-2766

Wildwinds: Varbanov 2767; Moushmov 5026.

Hourmo.eu:  Varbanov 2767; Moushmov 5026.

FOVRM:  Varbanov 2766

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Thank you @Marsyas Mike  for giving me the opportunity to use my library 🙂.

Caracalla has the most voluminous and varied coinage for Trajanopolis, and this is an interesting specimen, as this precise combination of obverse legend, bust type and reverse type is known neither to Varbanov nor to Schönert-Geiss (so please submit to RPC).

Varbanov (with the specimens as he cites them)

2764: ΑΝΤΟΝΕΙΝΟC ΠΙΟC ΑΥΓΟ - laur. hd. r. (Moushmov 5026, S-G 98)

2765: ΑΝΤΟΝΕΙΝΟC ΠΙΟC ΑΥΓΟ - rad., dr. and cuir. bust r. (Private coll.)

2766: ΑΝΤΟΝΕΙΝΟC ΠΙΟC ΑΥΓΟΥ - laur. hd. r. (S-G 93)

2767: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡ CΕ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC - laur., dr. and cuir. bust r. (BM 179,20)

He is a bit imprecise in his attributions:

2764: Moushmov 5026 is actually S-G 115 and has the ΑΥΓΟΥ variant (i.e. Varbanov 2766). S-G 98 has specimens in Berlin and Bukarest, S-G 103 also belongs here

2765 is unusual (and probably a mistake) as there are no radiate obverse dies for this small denomination, but 31 (!) with laureate head/bust.

2766 is also S-G 111-115 in addition to S-G 93

2767 is S-G 104 https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1840-0921-312

Yours is:

ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡ C(Ε(Υ)) ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC, laur. hd. r.

which fits to V54, V55, V57, V59-V65, V67 in S-G, none of them really match apart from V65 (Paris) which looks similar, maybe it's also a new die.

The reverse type has the dies R89, R91, R98-R102. I am pretty sure it’s R100 (SNG Aarhus 494 cited in S-G, which I don’t have to compare).

Edited by Marcus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Marcus said:

Thank you @Marsyas Mike  for giving me the opportunity to use my library 🙂.

Caracalla has the most voluminous and varied coinage for Trajanopolis, and this is an interesting specimen, as this precise combination of obverse legend, bust type and reverse type is known neither to Varbanov nor to Schönert-Geiss (so please submit to RPC).

Varbanov (with the specimens as he cites them)

2764: ΑΝΤΟΝΕΙΝΟC ΠΙΟC ΑΥΓΟ - laur. hd. r. (Moushmov 5026, S-G 98)

2765: ΑΝΤΟΝΕΙΝΟC ΠΙΟC ΑΥΓΟ - rad., dr. and cuir. bust r. (Private coll.)

2766: ΑΝΤΟΝΕΙΝΟC ΠΙΟC ΑΥΓΟΥ - laur. hd. r. (S-G 93)

2767: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡ CΕ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC - laur., dr. and cuir. bust r. (BM 179,20)

He is a bit imprecise in his attributions:

2764: Moushmov 5026 is actually S-G 115 and has the ΑΥΓΟΥ variant (i.e. Varbanov 2766). S-G 98 has specimens in Berlin and Bukarest, S-G 103 also belongs here

2765 is unusual (and probably a mistake) as there are no radiate obverse dies for this small denomination, but 31 (!) with laureate head/bust.

2766 is also S-G 111-115 in addition to S-G 93

2767 is S-G 104 https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1840-0921-312

Yours is:

ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡ C(Ε(Υ)) ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC, laur. hd. r.

which fits to V54, V55, V57, V59-V65, V67 in S-G, none of them really match apart from V65 (Paris) which looks similar, maybe it's also a new die.

The reverse type has the dies R89, R91, R98-R102. I am pretty sure it’s R100 (SNG Aarhus 494 cited in S-G, which I don’t have to compare).

Wow!  This is an astonishing analysis of my little coin - I'm dazzled.  These Provincials often confuse me as I don't have much of a library (Varbanov) so I rely on online auctions, Wildwinds, etc. to kind of triangulate my attributions.  Thank you so much @Marcusfor taking the time to fine-tune my iffy attribution.  

I have but one complaint - how in the world will I fit all that information on a 2" x 2" flip?  😁

Thanks again!  

• Clap 1