Frank Robinson Jan. 23rd auction

Ancient Coin Hunter

• Benefactor

Did anyone win coins at the recent FSR auction? I won three bids - Byzantine, the first one a 31mm 11.7 gram Follis of Maurice Tiberius. The style actually pretty good but the legend, as is common with the Theupolis (ok, Antioch) types is blundered. I received the lots on Tuesday in the mail. It's posted over on the Byzantine subforum.

Curious to see how other folks came out. The other wins were folles of Tiberius II  and Romanus I.

• Like 1

I await the arrival of the one item I apparently won, not here yet.  Not as much caught my eye this time around.  My bids this time tended to be on the low side, but in fairness I showed restraint after all the auction activity earlier in the month.  

• Like 2

I won 1 coin and got an alternate on another.  My only outright win was the coin I most wanted, a Parthian obol (all Parthian fractional silver is scarce) with an unlisted-in-Sellwood mintmark (but known from a couple of examples that have turned up in the market).  I also got an alternate of a Seljuk silver dirham, not rare but a very attractive example- even people who don't usually care for non-pictorial Islamic coins might not turn their noses up at it.  Photos (and full write-ups) to come.

• Like 3

My coin arrived today, looks to be RIC 332, Sear 8207.   It looks very nice in hand.

Here is Frank’s auction lot description:  “JULIA MAMAEA, Den, FECVND AVGVSTAE, Fecunditas stg l, small figure at left; Choice EF, virtually as struck, nrly centered on sl ragged flan, strong strike with fantastically sharp portrait; good metal with rich colorful toning”

IMG_4157.jpeg.a50cf97d4cc6d573536aae424c8017ed.jpeg

• Like 4

I didn't place any bids this time. One thing that dampens my enthusiasm with his auctions is that the photo quality is so poor that it's hard to tell exactly what the coin will look like in hand. I don't want to risk high bids on a coin that might turn out to be a disappointment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CPK said:

I didn't place any bids this time. One thing that dampens my enthusiasm with his auctions is that the photo quality is so poor that it's hard to tell exactly what the coin will look like in hand. I don't want to risk high bids on a coin that might turn out to be a disappointment.

I agree the photo quality could be much improved.  That said I’ve never gotten an item where the photo looked better than the coin did in hand.  So I discount my bid amounts slightly compared to what I would have bid with ideal images — this builds in a cushion against disappointment (and leaves room for being pleasantly surprised.)