Got my auction invoice just yesterday! Gadboury auction 14.10.2023!

panzerman

I was shocked/ surprised and very happy when I found out that I won a coin (that I had forgtten about) Back in early October I was busy with leaves and yard work/ I had placed a bid with bddr-ch on a Bosphoran Stater. I never got word until ysterday tht I had won it.

coin....won it for starting bid 

AV Stater dated BE AΛY (131/2AD)

7.80g.    19mm.     .600      1h

Rhoemetalces I 131-154AD

Draped Bust of King R/ Sceptre R

BACIΛEΩC POMHTAΛKOV

Laureate Bust of Emperor Hadrian R

Anonkhin 505  MacDonald 440/1   Frolova pg. 145 B/d

ex: CNG 2005   ex: Tkalec 2007

Anyone know the mint??????

royaume-du-bosphore-rhoemetalces-131-2-153-4-statere-d-or-9653063.jpg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Beautiful! Could you possibly mean Gadoury, which not only is a coin dealer but also is a well-known publisher of French numismatic literature, including what I believe is the standard catalog of French coinage since 1789? (They had a table at NYINC, and I purchased a copy of the current edition of that catalog.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Beautiful! Could you possibly mean Gadoury, which not only is a coin dealer but also is a well-known publisher of French numismatic literature, including what I believe is the standard catalog of French coinage since 1789? (They had a table at NYINC, and I purchased a copy of the current edition of that catalog.)

Thank you Donna!

Yes/ Gadboury is a well known auction house from Monaco/ also publish great books.  MDC/ Monaco their rival in that Principality also has good auctions/ but hammer prices are crazy.

John

• Like 3

A really beautiful Bosporan stater if you want to know

I got mine last year from the Okidoki collection : while both feature Hadrian, yours was minted by Rhoemetalkes, a few years later than my Kotys example

9b5026be25454d5ab8563252012595eb.jpg

Bosporan kingdom – El stater, dated 420 (123-124 CE)
ΒΑϹΙΛΕⲰϹ ΚΟΤΥΟϹ (anticlockwise). Draped and diademed bust of Cotys II right.
Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian right. KY at exergue (year 420)
7,71 gr – 19 mm - 1 h
Ref : RPC III # 878 (this coin illustrated), Anokhin # 471,  MacDonald # 422

Provenance : Ex CNG e-auction # 454/236 (10-16-2019) In NGC encapsulation 4285327-002, graded Ch VF, Strike: 5/5, Surface: 4/5, Ex Eric (Okidoki) Ten Brink collection, Leu web auction # 26/2523 (07-10-2023)

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Beautifull coin Q! Yours has Cotys II along with Hadrian/ really nice portraits of King/ Emperor. By the way/ I erred in my spelling of auction house.....its Gadoury not "Gadboury". I think I had "cadbury" chocolate bars on my mind😗 A "dumkopf" moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 3