Dodecahedron article. Does anyone have any ideas what it is?

Coin sorter, of course! Actually, no strong opinion (though Wikipedia does mention some have been found in coin hoards).

I liked the idea of the surveying instrument for measuring distances (something about perspective and size of the holes when you look through them). But it seems that hypothesis hasn't caught on.

I saw the headlines about a newly found one in Britain but haven't read any more about it. I'm sure that metal detectorist was thrilled!

These sure are weird and interesting

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 3
  • Big Smile 1
  • Thinking 1

None of the theories really make sense of it. They're not all the same, the holes aren't consistent, they're found right across Gallo-Roman territory. They can't just be decorative but show no signs of wear. The number of sides and all those big knobs must be relevant...but then what's an icosahedron for?

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Oh, also I just remembered I have one! But it's one of the really small ones: 12mm, 5.92g. AgoraScaleWeight.jpg.588ec9cde3992d4296c9f1d99b0e3ec0.jpg

According to "mainstream scholars" like Hendin (GBC2, W-24) or Goodwin (2012) this would be a so-called "scale weight" from the Byzantine/Islamic-period Levant.

BUT... as an avid watcher of History Channel, I've learned to challenge Big Archaeology and trust my gut when it comes to wild theories and supposition about antiquity...

"Researchers theorize that this object could in fact be a child's miniature Dodecahedron toy model. What if this tiny child's toy is the key to re-discovering the lost ancient knowledge about extraterrestrial civilizations?

"Did Roman children place toy Dodecahedrons atop tiny models of the Great Pyramid of Giza? And pretend to communicate with the gods? Who were, in fact, flesh-and-blood interstellar visitors?"

I'm more skeptical of the theory that this actually was a full-sized Dodecahedron but used by very tiny people. 

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2
  • Smile 1

1 hour ago, Theoderic said:

Anytime I see the word dodecahedron (and how seldom is that?) I always think of the old Simpsons episode where Lisa is trying to teach little sister Maggie her first word:

download.jpg

My son was into dinosaurs when learning to speak so I tried to get him to name them. It was interesting having a two year old going around saying parasaurolophus.

• Like 2
  • Big Smile 7

Here is the continuum from last weeks Times editorial.

The first respondents suggestion is so practical and likely, insofar that fire would be revered to keep you alive, gets my vote.DodeB.jpg.e5310a209587350363d4eff39a761a57.jpgDodeA.jpg.50c617a2bda8112ed9be2c9ea8afe828.jpg

• Like 2
  • Big Smile 2

8 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

As an aside, forensic examination may prove carbonisation proving, or disproving his theory. That is the first thing I would do.

Scent would be long gone.

Yes if it was a firelighter, you’d have left it in the fire. You wouldn’t want to touch a metal cage with burning straw inside. It would then at least be scorched, if not melted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...